“Follow Newspaper Review Again??”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Happy Garden

Happy Garden
Ranked #42 of 86 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Portland, Maine
“Follow Newspaper Review Again??”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Well I did drag my wife in after reading a recent positive PPH review and she did have good memories from a visit a few years back. So off we went and parked on the delivery door side of the restaurant. I hopped out and did notice along the side of the restaurant a large vermin sort of trap right in plain sight. We both went in anyway with us both slightly on guard now. Counter service was pleasant and professional. The interior was worn and my wife was sort of shocked about the appearance. The menu was vast and the dinner combination specials looked like a good deal so we ordered two to-go. We both still had that vermin trap in our brains. We unpacked both large combination meals with entrees, rice, soup and eggrolls at home. You do get a lot of food for the money, but both our meals lacked flavor and spice. My wife’s hot and sour soup after a few spoonful’s went into the sink and my egg drop soup met a similar fate. We will not return.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank S V

Bowdoin, Maine
“Picture shown not correct”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Happy Garden Restaurant at 174 US Route 1 in Scarborough, Maine is NOTHING like the picture shown with a fancy dining room. It actually has no fancy dining room and is more for take out than to eat in. The restaurant has a few booths and that is it. I am not sure where the picture came from showing a nicely decorated dining room as it is misleading. I was very disappointed to find it completely different than shown in the picture. Plus the food was served in take out styrofoam containers with plastic utensils and the food was only average. I would not eat there again and I think Tripadvisor should correct the picture.

• Visited April 2013
Old Orcahrd Beach
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well done!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Awesome, delicious food. Fast delivery and great customer service. The General Tso's is phenomenal and they deliver very far. They also followed up with me to make sure the food was good. The new owners are doing a great job!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Louis B
Salem, Massachusetts
“A Place Worth A Second Try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family and I decided to give Happy Garden a try because I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to go out to eat. I choose them because they deliver to our house.

We chose the items we wanted and I called in our order. They must have been busy because I did have a little wait on the phone. The woman I spoke with was very nice and helpful while ordering. She advised it would be about 30 minutes until it was delivered. It did take about an hour to be delivered, so that was a little bit of a disappointment. However, the delivery guy was very cheerful and it was a Friday night so it isn't anything that would prevent me from ordering there again.

My Son ordered the Chicken and Broccoli, Fried Rice, Eggroll, and Vegetable Soup. This cost $9.50, which is a little on the high side for me for a combination but with the soup it was not that bad. I was able to get a bite of the Chicken and Broccoli and I thought the sauce was very delicious. It was very garlicky and I thought it was perfect. My Son was not impressed with the amount of rice that came with it. It seemed like just a small scoop. We are used to large portions of rice.

I ordered the Beef Lo Mein, Fried Rice, Crab Rangoon, and Hot and Sour Soup. It was also $9.50 for the combination. I did not care for the soup. I don't think there was anything wrong with the soup, I just didn't particularly care for Hot and Sour Soup. I wish they offered Wonton Soup as an option. My Lo Mein was very delicious. It had tons of vegetables in it and was seasoned perfectly. I also enjoyed my Crab Rangoon and their Duck Sauce was amazing. It was the perfect complement to the Crab Rangoon.

We are still on the search for our perfect Chinese place in Southern Maine but would definitely give this place another chance. So far it is the best place we have tried.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ridlee
Scarborough, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nickel and Diming That's What the NEW Owners Are Doing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We've always bought our Chinses food at this location. The 1st owner Faith was awesome, great food and she ran it perfectly. 2nd owners pretty much followed Faith's way. This 3rd owner now WOW. All he does is nickel and dime you. A $1 for a tea bag unbelievable. You go there and spend $30 - $40 0n food and are charged $1 a piece for a tea bag. Now I discovered the amount of hard noodle they give you with an order of chow mein is so small you have a half container left with no noodles to go with it. I mentioned that on the second time I ordered it and the girl said I could buy more for $1.75. I've had enough with this place time.

• Visited January 2013