“Well done!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Happy Garden

Happy Garden
Ranked #42 of 86 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Old Orcahrd Beach
“Well done!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Awesome, delicious food. Fast delivery and great customer service. The General Tso's is phenomenal and they deliver very far. They also followed up with me to make sure the food was good. The new owners are doing a great job!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Louis B

Salem, Massachusetts
“A Place Worth A Second Try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family and I decided to give Happy Garden a try because I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to go out to eat. I choose them because they deliver to our house.

We chose the items we wanted and I called in our order. They must have been busy because I did have a little wait on the phone. The woman I spoke with was very nice and helpful while ordering. She advised it would be about 30 minutes until it was delivered. It did take about an hour to be delivered, so that was a little bit of a disappointment. However, the delivery guy was very cheerful and it was a Friday night so it isn't anything that would prevent me from ordering there again.

My Son ordered the Chicken and Broccoli, Fried Rice, Eggroll, and Vegetable Soup. This cost $9.50, which is a little on the high side for me for a combination but with the soup it was not that bad. I was able to get a bite of the Chicken and Broccoli and I thought the sauce was very delicious. It was very garlicky and I thought it was perfect. My Son was not impressed with the amount of rice that came with it. It seemed like just a small scoop. We are used to large portions of rice.

I ordered the Beef Lo Mein, Fried Rice, Crab Rangoon, and Hot and Sour Soup. It was also $9.50 for the combination. I did not care for the soup. I don't think there was anything wrong with the soup, I just didn't particularly care for Hot and Sour Soup. I wish they offered Wonton Soup as an option. My Lo Mein was very delicious. It had tons of vegetables in it and was seasoned perfectly. I also enjoyed my Crab Rangoon and their Duck Sauce was amazing. It was the perfect complement to the Crab Rangoon.

We are still on the search for our perfect Chinese place in Southern Maine but would definitely give this place another chance. So far it is the best place we have tried.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ridlee
Scarborough, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nickel and Diming That's What the NEW Owners Are Doing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We've always bought our Chinses food at this location. The 1st owner Faith was awesome, great food and she ran it perfectly. 2nd owners pretty much followed Faith's way. This 3rd owner now WOW. All he does is nickel and dime you. A $1 for a tea bag unbelievable. You go there and spend $30 - $40 0n food and are charged $1 a piece for a tea bag. Now I discovered the amount of hard noodle they give you with an order of chow mein is so small you have a half container left with no noodles to go with it. I mentioned that on the second time I ordered it and the girl said I could buy more for $1.75. I've had enough with this place time.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Pat S
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

Tried the general tso. The flavor was ok. It didn't include any veggies at all. Just chicken (dark meat) and sauce. The rice was below average. I am deturmined to find a really good Chinese restuarant around here but this definitely isn't one of them.....

1 Thank Ecpool1
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chinese is just "Ok", better places in the local area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

I am an avid chinese food eater, i've tried all the places, the pupu plater is always the test for me becaus you get a nice sample of all the best apps. This place is just average, no great but not bad. This is pretty much just takeout, no place to eat inside, and building is out dated. They have been around for a long time so they must be doing something right. Prices were fair.

• Visited November 2010