“Some Good - Some BAD”

The Egg & I Restaurants- Scarborough
Ranked #3 of 90 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Egg & I Scarborough, Maine breakfast restaurant offers gourmet coffee, 100% pure-squeezed orange juice and a variety of menu choices you will enjoy time and time again.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

With four us going for a late breakfast, early lunch, the review was split 50-50. The lobster role was excellent, the lobster benedit was poor - very little lobster and overcooked. The chowder was so-so. The other breakfast was scrambled eggs with vegetables - was overcooked so very dry. The coffee was not what you would expect from a breakfast place. So we'll pass it and try better places in the future.

3  Thank KennewickGuy

Reviewed November 18, 2012

From our approach in the parking lot, The Egg & I pleased us! They have music piped outside and when you enter, a well-dressed hostess greeted us pleasantly and showed us to a table with friendly banter. A waitress introduced herself and brought a carafe of coffee, which she left on the table for us.

All the staff was smiling and pleasant, not like the restaurants where you wonder if everyone hates his or her job! I could see a sign in the kitchen:" Attitude Matters: Find a good one", and it was evidently enforced. I had the SantaFe Huevos which was wonderful, with black beans, pork green chile, chorizo and eggs on a tortilla, relished with avocado and pico de gallo. My companion had traditional Benedict and had no complaints. The food was hot and pleasingly presented.
We spoke to the manager who went by our table several times during our meal; he was keeping a watchful eye on his operation. We complimened him and had a good chat as well. He spoke highly of the parent company and his experience with them. They are opening a second location at Exit 48 on the Turnpike.

The parking lot was full of cars, but this is a sizeable restaurant and we did not have to wait. They have a free meeting room and advertised free WiFi and it appears this would be a perfect spot for a breakfast meeting. They offer a senior discount but they did not offer it and we didn't know to ask.

I rated the atmosphere average as I didn't consider it special, although it was clean, up to date and pleasant.

7  Thank lspwroo
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was first impressed by the efficient staff. Everyone was happily going about their duties even in the rush of customers smiles were in place and the place was humming the menu is full of the best of breakfast. If you're a salad eater you won't be left out. We both liked that they bring a pitcher of coffee and tea right away the food is hot and delicious and so much variety you can't go wrong here. We will be back

7  Thank wongobark
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stopped in for our first visit around noon and a big hit with us from the layout, front of the house, wait staff, menu choices, quality and value. You are doing it so right here and this is our new favorite breakfast choice!!

7  Thank S V
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We dined at the Egg & I on Saturday and Sunday on our 4 day visit to Maine. Both times we were seated within a few minutes and our waitress was to our table shortly after with the menus. What delicious choices there were on the menu! There is definitely something for everyones tastes. I would recommend absolutely everything on the menu, as our table of 5 had something different each day. YUM YUM! I don't think we have ever had such a great, relaxing experience at a breakfast restaurant before and we will definitely be returning to try more things from their wonderful menu! A special shout out to the owners of this restaurant for doing a fantastic job in the appearance and the service of their establishment!

7  Thank Susan L