“So perfect in all aspects !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Point Inn Resort

Black Point Inn Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Quebec City, Canada
“So perfect in all aspects !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had the chance, the past weekend, to stay at the Black Point Inn in Scarborough, Maine. Wow ! I've been eager to stay there for many years but thought this was out of our budget. Facing a 3-day weekend with a urge to go back to the beach, I decided to call anyway and have the real infos... guess what? they DO have last-minute deals ! And these deals FITTED in our budget. They were charming, VERY helpful and from the very first phone contact, made me feel as if we were special guests. Yes, it can be seen as a bit pricey, but I swear, it is WORTH it ! The Inn, itself is amazing... very, I mean VERY comfy. Large seats and couchs in the lobby with fire burning all day and magnificient books, amazing views from all windows, very large family room with white wicked furniture, super comfortable , with immense windows and a large selection of games for the family ans many magazines to dream over. You can swim in the ultra-clean, pecfectly-heated non-chlorinated pool...or...just relax by the pool with a mojito on one of the lounge chairs. You can take one of the bikes and go for a ride in the surroundings... it's included ! You can pick your beach " du jour" and explore it for hours... Two wonderful beaches are within seconds from the inn. One, at the local private beach Club where you can, for a very low price, rent a lounge chair and towels and one, wilder, more secluded, right in front of the porch... Many shells, warm waters, white sand, nice and fun waves... Peace at its best ! Back to the inn, the afternoon tea (included) comes with a large selection of cookies just out of the oven (sooo included). To die for ! Believe me ! You won't be able to resist and you won't be able to limit yourself to just one ! Same thing in the early morning, with a choice of coffee in the lobby, along with a wide variety of fresh-from-the-oven muffins, croissants, danoises, almond croissants and chocolatines ! Yummy ! What a way to start the day BEFORE the breakfast ! And...talking about beakfast... wide array of eggs, pancakes, omelets, meat, lobster, crab, smoked salmon, bagels, Irish oat (soooooooo good!) fresh fruits, delicious fresh juices, and so so much more ! From delicious to more delicious ! And the staff !!! So nice, professional, helpful, patient, nice, kind, caring ... 10 out of 10 ! Dinner time was just a repeat of the breakfast with even more delightful choices, some very inovative and amazingly good suggestions, the same perfect staff (just like ALL the staff, at the front desk, at the door, around the rooms, etc... A1 for the PBI staff ! Bravo ! ) At night, your problem will be to choose between the filet mignon and the scallops...or between the linguini with shrimps and lobster or the Angus burger served with style... Oh la la... so much possibilities, so little time... The room was excellent ! we were 5 and never felt crowded. The beds are firm but soft... the room is tastefully decorated, the seats are very comfortable, the bathroom is wide, large, clean and beautiful in its old style with very hot water on demand and a lot of pressure in the shower ! In the room, there are windows you can open, A/C if you want it, and a LARGE deck with super comfortable seatings and amazing views. Everywhere in the building, the inn proudly displays its 136 years of beauty.. the stairs, the moldings, the architecture... I will go back... I will go back soon ! We were there with our 2 kids and my mother-in-law and everyone had the best of times. It was 100% kid-friendly (which I wouldn't have thought) and more than that... kids were treated like real guests by the staff and considered like real persons... it was a nice change from some other places where kids, if tolerated, can be royally ignored ! I could write so much more... Did I told you about the big icy cold ancient jug by the porch door, filled with lemon and water ? So refreshing ! Have I told you about the many adirondack chairs on the lawns overlooking the ocean ? Have I told you about the art, displayed in the Inn ? Have I told you about how, when you call, you can have a surprisingly afforfdable deal for your stay? Have I told you I am totally in love with the Black Point Inn ? We are from Québec City, I am french and I am sorry of my english is not 100% good in this review, but I hope I succeeded in sharing how amazing and perfect this place truly is... It worth saving special money for it !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lucie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Amherst, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Maybe it was the late night arrival, or maybe it was the expectation that nostalgia brings (I had stayed here 30 years prior), but I was disappointed with the Black Point Inn when I arrived with my 17 year old daughter. If the definition of careworn includes carpetted stair landings that are stained, wood railings that are crumbling, an air conditioner that sounded like something from the Exorcist, or a pool deck made of concrete replete with chaise lounges made of plastic, than the Black Point Inn is careworn---there was a certain charm, but at the price of a good hotel on Madison Avenue in NYC, this kind of "charm" shouldn't be as evident. You cannot beat the location: 15 minutes from PWM but a world away from the hustle/bustle, the BPI has access to great trails, beach, bicycles, and beautiful scenery...and that is the part that finally won me over. The food was average at best, and, while it was included in the price of our room, it doesn't excuse mediocrity. Also, the set up for the waiters/waitresses makes for very slow service---their friendliness and enthusiasm, though, makes up for speed. There was a mixup with our dinner reservations: although I had called in advance to set up time to dine in the fancier restaurant, our reservation was not to be found and although the restaurant was half-emtpy, there was much kurfuffle over finding us a table. I guess in the end I will remember the long morning walks on the beach, the beautiful Maine surf, and the lovely cliff walk, none of which really has anything to do with the Black Point Inn except for their location---again, at the price of a 5-star Manhattan hotel in mid-town, I expected more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ann L
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I live locally and took out of town friends for lunch to this elegant old watering hole in Prout's Neck, Maine.
Fellow diners were dressed in ragged jean cut offs for the beach and the flies in the dining room were swarming around us for our entire meal. Never mind the food, it was impossible to enjoy because of the swatting that was going on. The manager needs to take some steps to clean things up. I will never go back. They also charge for ice tea refills; really? What a shame!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank shag2348
Phil K, General Manager at Black Point Inn Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. As we move from late summer into fall we are aware of the presence of some house flies in the restaurant. This is a common seasonal occurrence for households and establishments in this proximity to the beach and otherwise in the country. As cool nights set in, our uninvited guests seek to come inside. We are fortunate enough to have a constant stream of guests in and out of the building, so their entrance is made easy. Thankfully, the presence of these flies is a correctable and short lived annoyance. We are and have been, over the last week, working with a professional to mitigate the presence of the flies. The assertion that their presence is due to an issue of cleanliness in our hotel or restaurant is simply untrue.

The reviewer mentioned fellow guests being dressed for the beach, we are sure they were. While we don't call The Chart Room a "watering hole", it is indeed a pub on the beach. We are not a country club, nor do we have a dress code in our casual restaurant beyond the requirement that guests, of course, wear shirts and shoes. If these guests came into the restaurant, for cocktails or a meal, from the miles of surrounding beaches, we would consider this to be a wonderful way to spend an afternoon on Prouts Neck.

We are truly sorry that your experience was not as you expected. We would appreciate the opportunity to make it up to you. Please reach out to us so that we can arrange another opportunity for you to experience this wonderful Inn and its restaurants. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.
Glen Head, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Inn for three nights. What a wonderful place to go. The staff, from the front desk to the restaurant, was attentive and accommodating. The rooms were large, clean and the bed was firm (which is so rare these days). I was a little scared at the idea of having to eat breakfast and dinner in the same place for three days but the food was delicious so it was never an issue. All in all, I would totally recommend this hotel which is so conveniently located, yet far enough from the traffic (think Ogunquit at lunch time). My family and I went on bicycle rides (thanks to the bikes left outside) and took walks on the beach. We will return for sure!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed three nights at this great hotel. Located in Prouts Neck, this 25 room historic inn is located on a fantastic little hill on a small peninsula with spectacular views of both the bay and the ocean. Room packages include breakfast and dinner, with drinks excluded. Bikes, kayaking, boating, tennis and many other activities are readily available.

Portsmouth is only 12 miles away and Freeport only another 20 minutes or so further north.

This hotel was the perfect location for a secluded get away. The staff in the bar and restaurant were amazing, very friendly, prompt and genuine. The kitchen service leaves a little to be desired, but the food was solid. They are willing to accomodate any diet, let you order off menu, and of course there is plenty of lobster!

Overall, we highly recommend this hotel and will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly D
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We recently spent one night at the Black Point Inn. Our room was quite large, but the bathroom was tiny. I wish they would take out the old tubs and put large walk in showers in their place. Our king bed was wonderful .. very cozy and comfortable. The Inn was a lovely building. Fireplace always going in the main area (even though it was summer). The restaurants are very nice and we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there. Our meals were delicious. You can walk to the beach (nice sandy beach with a very, very low tide) with lots of sandbars. You also could walk to the tennis courts and golf course. There is a pool on property that is on the small side, but the water was very warm. They also put our complimentary tea/coffee first thing in the morning with homemade muffins and in the afternoon with hommade cookies. A very nice touch. We found all the staff to be very friendly. It's very pricey and a night's stay for us was $750 incl tax, service charges, breakfast and dinner. I would recommend this Inn if you can afford it!

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor room in the front that had a deck. Lovely room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Black point inn was recently renovated and offers a very special stay right outside of Portland on the rocky maine coast. The inn has access to the private beach and bath club along with the tennis and golf club. The inn offers cozy stays with lively bar restaurant and another formal dining room. The fireplaces and porches welcome conversations, reading or game playing. The food was delicious and staff was accommodating . We walked around the cliff walk which gives you amazing ocean views and perfect for rock hounds. The beach and bath club offers a lovely wide beach and snack bar. The golf course is challenging and clay tennis courts wonderful. It offers a expensive but unique stay on the coast of maine.

Room Tip: I would ask for a corner room that has a water view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Higgins Beach Inn
The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
The Westin Portland Harborview

Been to Black Point Inn Resort? Share your experiences!