“Decent for the money”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Rhode Island
“Decent for the money”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This was a very basic extended-stay hotel, but it was clean and in a very convenient and quiet location. We got a very good price, $50 through Priceline, and it was well worth it for this price. The hotel is definitely a no-frills operation, although if you ask they will give you shampoo, conditioner, and additional coffee for the coffeemaker. The rooms were clean and quite spacious, although the sheets were the thinnest I've ever seen and there was an obvious cigarette burn hole in the middle of the fitted sheet - can't believe they actually used it to make the bed! Plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby, although nothing that you could walk to. The hotel accepts pets and we did hear a dog barking at one point, and a dog actually tried to enter our room as it strained on the leash of its owner who was exiting his room across the hall from us as we were entering our room. I don't know if animals had been in our room with prior customers, but this could be an issue for someone who is allergic to pet hair. One negative is the lack of any kind of breakfast, or even vending machines - most of the hotels in the area offer a complimentary breakfast, but because of the kitchen facilities provided, Extended StayAmerica does not do so. Also, for stays less than 7 days, there is no housekeeping offered unless you pay extra. You can "exchange" towels for clean ones at the front desk. This wasn't a big deal for us, but someone using this hotel would have to make their own bed and clean up the bathroom and kitchen, including emptying trash, etc. Again, for $50 a night, it was well worth. I wouldn't have been happy paying the full $100 a night rate - for that price other hotels offered breakfast and real maid service. Having the kitchen facilities was definitely handy, especially for keeping cold drinks in the room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Northeast U.S.
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I chose this hotel because I had stayed at another location in Miami, and in both cases the accommodations were more than adequate.

The room is spacious, bed is perfectly firm, and the kitchen facility - with refrigerator and microwave - makes the place a true home away from home. I'm not one to cook during my vacation, but I do appreciate bringing back leftovers from restaurants, something I could not do at a hotel without kitchen amenities.

One caveat about choosing a bed: if you're traveling with a partner and sleep in a king-sized bed at home, get a king-sized one at the hotel.

The overhead fan in the bathroom was quite noisy, but we weren't in there for long periods of time, so that really didn't matter. Outside of that, everything was top shape, including the reservation desk where staffers always greeted you with a smile, even when you exchanged towels or requested another roll of toilet tissue.

I heard no noise from neighboring rooms or outside in the hallway. That's always a plus. Also, there was no lingering smoke smell, no bugs, and the furniture and walls were comfortable and clean. Even the Internet access worked well (good transfer speed) whenever I signed on.

This facility's location was perfect for us. Driving left or right onto the main road takes you wherever you're going.

I'll return in the future. The price, accommodations, and privacy get two thumbs up from me.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed at the Extended Stay Portland Scarboro over 4th of July weekend. We have previously stayed at several Extended Stay properties since we usually travel with a toddler and find that having a kitchen and refrigerator is very helpful. This property was older and much more tired than the other properties we've stayed at, but it still worked well for us.

We had a king studio and the room was extremely spacious with all the appliances in working conditions. The bedspread, recliner, and carpet were very worn and the blanket had some small holes in it from being laundered so many times- overall the rooms are desperately in need of a redo. The screen fell out of the window when my husband opened it and the recliner got stuck when he reclined in it. The room was mostly very clean (the bathroom, kitchen, main living areas were immaculate), but it hadn't been vacuumed behind the recliner, and the tops of things were a little dusty. The fact that the carpet, and fixtures were older with some stains, etc. is probably the reason that some reviewers complain about the room not being clean. I am very concerned with cleanliness where I stay and was pretty comfortable here. One other thing to be aware of is that these rooms are very basic and no frills (you have to ask for dish soap, shampoo, etc. if you want them, and you get one pillow each and one blanket on the bed- all standard at the extended stay properties we've stayed at)- if stuff like that matters to you, stay elsewhere.

The staff was very polite and helpful. We were granted a very early check-in with no complaints and though the hotel had my rate wrong when we arrived, it was quickly fixed for us when we provided a print-out of the online booked reservation. The staff was quick to offer us directions to local beaches, etc. and provided a map of local attractions.

The location of the hotel is great... close to two beaches, the mall, grocery stores and places to eat, yet very quiet around the property itself. We needed to be in downtown Portland both days we were there and couldn't believe how close by it was, and how easy it was to drive there and park.

Although this property did have its fault and could use some definite renovation, I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future. The rate was literally half that of many of the other hotels in the area and the room was certainly more than adequate for what we needed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Maine
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I traveled with my canine; my very best friend ever. I find it hard to believe that this place is not a 5 star property. Ok, I know properties must offer certain items to be considered in that catagory, however, I must say this property is everything I look for in my home away from home. It is very peaceful, extremely clean, engaging knowledgeable and protective staff (of which I cannot say enough wonderful accolades about). When I call for a reservation, they know me and my dog; they are so considerate. If my dog is not with me they inquire about her. They give me the opportunity to secure the same room (if available). This property is immaculate. Oh yes, did I say that anything you need is within 1/4 mile of this property (walking distance for some items).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia,pa
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Nice quite location south of downtown Portland which is easy to reach and park. Close proximity to shore points and lighthouses in the area. Tucked off the main drag in a small, quite business park with close access to restaurants and food store if you want to take advantage of the kitchenette. Good rate from Hotwire. Caution - be sure you are offered what you need - I booked for 2 people but didn't see an opportunity to choose 2 beds - staff was able to accommodate for a small upgrade charge but only due to occupancy levels. One hint - due to the suite nature of the hotel, there may be a sofa bed in the room.

Stayed September 2008
East Texas
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I had stopped by this hotel on my last visit to the Portland area and the young lady was so friendly and helpful when I asked for information that I made a point to make a reservation when I returned for Thanksgiving. The room was terrific and everyone from the General Manager down went overboard to please. I was totally shocked at how friendly and helpful everyone was. I reserved a studio with a King bed and the room was fully stocked with everything you need when away from home. So if you want to save some money and stay at a nice clean friendly place that is centrally located in the Portland, Maine area this Hotel is the place. They refresh the room for a small charge of $3
and that is also a real bargan since the rate is so great. I travel to the area several times per year and will definately make this my home away from home.

• Liked — Large well stocked room, very clean and friendly people.
  • Disliked — No in-house computer available or business center, but access in room for laptop.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
Reviewed October 30, 2008

We (my wife and I - both 60 yoa) have stayed in this hotel four times for one night each time over the past 2 months as we worked on the repair/renovation of a house we own nearby. The accommodations were not posh but were clean and comfortable and both the price and location were right. There were no frills but we did not need nor were we expecting any. The staff was friendly and helpful. Parking and security were both good and it was quiet.. Certainly meets or exceeds the standards for a 2-star hotel There are plenty of good restaurants nearby for dinner and breakfast and the Maine Mall is less than a mile away.

I would stay here again (in fact we have reservations for this coming weekend).

Greg

• Liked — Location, price and it was comfortable meeting our basic needs!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#12 of 19 in Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,519 reviews
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough? Share your experiences!