“Good Seafood”

Ken's Place
Ranked #2 of 90 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went to Ken's with a large party - 9 total - we had both fried and broiled seafood and it was all good. The portions are large, dinners come with FF's and Cole Slaw. I had Fried sea scallops and whole clams. I was very happy with my meal. There was a very long line, but it moved suprisingly fast and the food was ready in a very reasonable amount of time considering how busy the restaurant was and the size of our order. We had 3 children with us, the kids meals include smaller portions and come with chocolate milk and an ice cream at the end. The kids were very happy with their meals. On the down side - the seating could be better and there is only one tiny bathroom in the restaurant, and to be honest, it was pretty disgusting. There are more bathrooms halfway across the parking lot, but who wants to walk across the parking lot in the dark to go to the bathroom?

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went to Ken's with relatives on 8/30/13 and ate outside. Road is very busy, so it was sort of loud to sit there. Food was decent, but the onion rings were similiar to frozen ones (they may have been) and wish I did not get them. French fries would have been a better choice this time. My cousin got a lobster roll which was good, but not much in it. I had the clam roll and they were very good. Not a fancy place, very casual. Not sure I would hurry there again to eat.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The atmosphere is not glamorous but once you take a bite of whatever you eat you will be completely hooked. It is a little off the beaten path but the seafood is the freshest I have ever had. My favorite items are the Fish Chowder and the Crab Roll, but I don't think you can go wrong at this place.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Over the past 35 years, there is one place I have relied on for the best seafood in Maine and that is Ken's in Scarboro. I have never been disappointed and judging by the long lines you see there all summer, thousands of others feel the same. Luckily Ken's is always well staffed and has an efficient system that gets good food out to the guests very quickly. The food never has the mass produced, fast food taste though. I love their fried clams cooked in crumbs, well done. They are always clean with good sized bellies and never rubbery. I can also vouch for their fried scallops and fried shrimp. Many rave about their haddock dinners as well. I am not a lobster eater, but I always see plenty of boiled lobsters and lobster rolls rolling out on trays. The sleeper on the menu is the clam cake. No trip to Maine is complete without sampling a clam cake. Now Ken's is not fancy or fine dining. You order at the counter and pick it up to take back to your table, either inside in the AC, or outside on a picnic table in the pine grove. The plates are paper and the cutlery plastic, but that is the norm at the best seafood places in Maine. There is a full bar that serves all of the favorites and the raw bar has very good oysters. The food prices are fair and you can get bigger portions down the street, but you will not get better tasting or fresher seafood anywhere else. The oil is changed very regularly in the fryers so you don't get that stale oil taste. Ken's has always raised the bar for fresh seafood and has always exceeded it, whether it was owned years ago by Bob or Jebby, and the same is true now under Dave. If it looks busy, as it does all summer long, don't get nervous, just get in line. The off-season, April/May and September/October are great times to visit and avoid the crowds. If you are in the Portland/OOB/Saco areas, make sure you check out Ken's. I know you will be happy you did.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

It was very noisy in dinning room, order at counter, pick up at another counter-usual for lobster pound. Husband at twin lobster dinner which was good, I felt like trying something else and had fried maine shrimp, nothing else on menu but fried food. It was just "OK". Lobster stew was just lobster in milk and butter, no taste- had it at other places, it was rich, thick with potatoes and veg. would not recommend this to anyone.