“Seafood and service…close to perfection”
Review of Ken's Place

Ken's Place
Ranked #1 of 87 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Seafood
Portland, Maine
“Seafood and service…close to perfection”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Dinner there on Saturday and mostly hits all the way around. This place has no problem handling the volume so if the line is out the door, just be patient and it moves right along. Fresh seafood prepared just right and fried to perfection. Service is always friendly and helpful. We split the fisherman’s platter and it was almost too much food for us (value for the money). The wife had the fish chowder and it was ok…not great this time, but ok (a little too much time in the pot). We will be back in the spring, since it closes for the season soon.

• Visited October 2012

Dedham, Massachusetts
“Fresh Seafood”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband, son and I had lunch at Ken's Place on September 27, 2012. We got a fried fisherman's platter and a fried haddock plate to share. The Fisherman's Platter consisted of two haddock filets, Maine shrimp, large sea scallops, plump clams, fresh coleslaw, and french fries. The seafood was very fresh. We decided to go with recommendations from other customers and got the "crumb coating." We felt that it was much too heavy and masked the flavor of the seafood. Next time, we would get the lighter batter. My son likes tartar sauce with his seafood and unfortunately, Ken's uses tiny containers of mediocre store bought tartar sauce instead of homemade. I like to dip my shrimp in cocktail sauce, but it too came in tiny store bought containers that was lacking in flavor. I really didn't detect much horseradish in it. The restaurant was clean. You order at a counter and can then eat in tables inside or outside. The meal was moderately priced. If we are ever in the area again, we will go back as the seafood was very fresh and the staff was friendly, but I will stop somewhere and pick up a good bottle of cocktail sauce first.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Celaluna
Kingston Springs, Tennessee
1,171 restaurant reviews
“Local Hangout”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This restaurant has a unique method of ordering and getting your meal. You order and pay for it at a window and are told where to pick it up. Seems to work ok. The clam chowder is very good. I got a lobster roll plate and it also was very good. The service is sort of like what I experienced in a military chow hall.

• Visited October 2012
“Great Clams!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Followed the advice and shared fried clams in crumbs...the orders are very large. The clams were so fresh tasting and tender. Also had fish chowder and it was excellent. It is definitely a no frills place but the food makes up for the lack of frills.

Augusta, Maine
“World's Best Fried Clams”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I've been eating at Ken's since the 1950's. In the intervening 60 odd years, I have yet to find better fried clams, which, of course, are one of the culinary delights of the Maine coast. Available in two choices, batter or crumbs, these clams are fresh, sweet and greaseless. Even if you do not enjoy fried food, this delicacy is worth sampling. Incomparable!

• Visited September 2012