“Mostly Good”

Residence Inn Portland Scarborough
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over a recent holiday weekend in a one bedroom suite. Since my spouse is a rewards member, we asked for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite, which they declined to do, but the clerk was nice about it and explained the reason, which I appreciated. The common areas of the hotel were clean and well kept. There is a pool and hot tub. Our room was spotlessly clean and it was really nice to have the kitchenette, which we used to keep and reheat restaurant leftovers. Sofa bed was adequately comfortable. Free breakfast in the morning was surprisingly good and varied over the two mornings we were there. Scrambled eggs, sausage, breakfast sandwiches, MYO waffles, muffins, yogurt parfaits, melon chunks, etc. The only disappointment was that housekeeping failed to clean our room during our stay. We left around 10:30 in the a.m and did not return until 10 pm at night, when we walked into the room which was exactly as we'd left it. we had taken the Do Not Disturb sign off the door as required, but housekeeping never came. We called the front desk, but nothing could be done at that hour, of course, and we were due to check out the next day anyway. It is not as though we left the room dirty, but having housekeeping make beds and vacuum is one of my great pleasures in staying in a hotel, since it is the one day that I get a break from doing these things myself! So, it was a disappointment. Otherwise, the hotel is easy to find off the highway, on a main road with lots of retail, and an easy 10 minute drive to Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the highway, as it is quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Maged M, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Bookat,

Thank you for taking the time to write a critique about our hotel. We certainly appreciate your comments and value your repeat business and being a marriott reward memeber.

I am sorry to hear that Housekeeping has missed your room durring your stay. I assure that this is an isolated incident and have spoken to our staff about it. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 207-883-0400 Ext. 7618.

Again, I thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to our area

Maged Mosaad
General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Portland Scarborough

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stay here several times a year, and choose this place for their awesome suites, and yummy full breakfast! They put cookies out in the evening and have warm beverages all day long. You can print from their computer. Long pool hours and a big deep hot tub! It's quick to the interstate and close to local shopping. Rooms were nice and clean and beds are comfortable. We love it!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank stocknsave
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Residence Inn has the most helpful Front Desk members.I had the opportunity to visit this hotel on a family foliage trip in Sept. We enjoyed our stay so much...we stayed again on the way back through Portland. The manager even remembered me when I came to check in a week later. Informative staff and great hotel = Perfection.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LRead44
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was a last minute booking because we had to go to Portland for a baby's birth! After a quick check on Trip Advisor, I called to see what was available. A very nice desk manager (Dennis) told me what was available and offered a very good rate. Dennis was also very helpful later with directions and advice for getting around. We couldn't have been more pleased. Breakfasts were plentiful with many options. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Beware the noise from the highway traffic on the back side of the facility. I can get quite noisy...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PSR0304
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This Residence Inn looks exactly like many of the others we've stayed at. We use this chain quite a bit because a) they take dogs and b) they are nice. Most hotels can't get both a) and b) quite right but Marriott is good at it. This property is very conveniently located off an exit of the Maine Turnpike and located in a small office building park. Not scenic but near many good attractions, including Portland. The "I've seen this before" extends to very friendly staff, good eats and both the evening social hour and breakfast, and a nice bed and bath. The pet fee is high but my guess is that's because most folks are using this for extended stays , not an overnight, as we do. There was evidence of a number of "long stayers" such as indoor plants in windows and child's decorations up in windows which gave us a nice feeling that people in some sort of transitory circumstances were making this their "home." The manager of this Residence Inn was particularly helpful and clearly enjoying his role. Since we wound up substituting the Mexican far at the social hour for our dinners and had a full breakfast in the morning, the price was very fair.

Room Tip: rooms toward the parking lot in front have no issues with noise from the Maine turnpike
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012

There was nothing wrong with the Residence Inn Scarborough, but it wasn't fabulous. It was a comfortable stay. We slept well and loved the convenience of having a kitchen and living area - standard to all Residence Inn's. I'm not sure how well the housekeeping staff does a thorough deep cleaning of the rooms. Whomever stayed in the room before us left some clothing items behind in a drawer - they were still there when we checked in. I'll assume they belonged to the person before us, but who knows? Also the wallpaper was peeling off of the bathroom wall and there was grout on the bathroom floor and shower. There was no hotel guide in the room - i.e., how to call the front desk, what is where in the hotel.

I will pay a compliment to the gentleman who checked us in on Saturday afternoon. He was a great multi-tasker! It was a long weekend and the phone was constantly ringing with potential guests looking for accommodations (which were sold out). He answered the calls, checked me in, and even tended to a pizza delivery. He had a great attitude and sense of humor (don't remember his name).

Being a Marriott rewards customer, I typically stay at Marriott's. I would stay again, but it's not a 5 star destination - just a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmyBeck49
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Much as you'd expect from a Residence Inn, the Portland Waterfront is clean, well-kept and the service is effiecient, professional and polite, especially their affable shuttle bus driver, whose name I didn't get, but who apparently possesses an encyclopedic knowledge of his city. This hotel is in the ideal location, a short and easy walk to both the water front and the historic downtown. Parking is in a high-rise garage across the street at $12.00 a day, a bargain considering the regular rate at both downtown garages is a Boston-rate $31.00 a day. My only complaint is that the view from my room over looked the rather shabby Shipyard Brewery. But then, not every room can have the harbor view.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the water front, if possible. The view from the back of the hotel isn't...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Candlewood Suites Portland - Scarborough
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
#1 of 13 in South Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine

Been to Residence Inn Portland Scarborough? Share your experiences!