“Clean, comfortable room”

Residence Inn Portland Scarborough
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We arrived late at night after being on the road for about 14 hours and were ready for sleep. We chose a third floor room so we'd be out of the way of hall traffic, but we were so tired, I don't think we would have noticed. We stayed two nights. Our room was clean, comfortable, and provided ample space for two people. We didn't spend enough time in the room to use any appliances other than the refrigerator. My husband had planned to swim some laps in the pool and use the hot tub, but our schedule didn't allow for it.

I'm usually very sensitive to cleaning product or other chemically smells and I didn't notice anything here. I was very comfortable. The shower pressure was good (no trickling shower that seems to take forever to rinse the shampoo out of your hair; it also felt very good on my back after many hours in the car).

The heat worked fine and I didn't notice any noise or anything. Our room was on the side facing the highway and while we could hear the sound of the traffic going by, I didn't find it disrupting. Then again, did I mention we had been on the road for 14 hours? I even slept well on the second night of our stay when I was not so exhausted.

The complimentary breakfast had the same things that are offered at other places. It's always nice to see it offered, but I don't normally expect to have free breakfast at what is normally considered a long-term stay property, especially hot offerings like scrambled eggs and sausage.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 1/4/12 and really liked it. Got a great price on Priceline,
although not a tremendous discount off the AAA rate available at the Marriott website. But I do pay my own expenses and every dime counts. Rooms are spacious, very clean and well appointed. Full kitchen with dinner and cookware. Close to the highway and not very far from the Maine Mall area. Overall a great value.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Upon arriving, the limited parking was discouraging and disappointing. However, the ease of check-in, the cleanliness of the facility, the amenities and professionalism of its staff ease my concerns. In the hotel’s defense, I did stay on Black Friday weekend, which can account for the parking shortage.

We stayed in a 2-bedroom, 2-bath full kitchen/living room suite and this room was a dream. It certainly provided us with the opportunity to cook if we wanted to – and we did. When I first walked in the room, the light flicker of the fireplace was welcoming and warm - like coming home.

My daughter enjoyed the swimming pool and the small “store” at the front desk. I enjoyed the free continental breakfast and having a second bathroom in our hotel room should be an option in all hotels. My spouse, her sister and mother, enjoyed the free coffee.

Another major plus to this hotel is that it is so close to Portland’s mall shopping district. Whenever we got tired from shopping, a quick jaunt back to the room and we were ready for another attack on Black Friday.

Overall, I would stay in this room again and again. Of all the Portland hotels that I have stayed in, this is by far my favorite.

Room Tip: The 2-bedroom, 2-bath room is close to the exit.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2012

It was a good buy for the money. The only issue I took with the place was the extreme smell of cleaning products. We stay at Marriott quite a bit and this was actually a reward night at any Marriott up to level 4. I thought the inclusive breakfast was actually pretty good. We had two rooms and it gave us plenty of room. The hot air heat was loud and the towels, etc satisfactory. There was a TV in the Bedroom as well as the living room. It was quiet, except for the heat (which I turned off).
The bed could have been larger (they only have queen size) and the mattress could have been of a better quality. I prefer Marriott Sable Oaks in So. Portland, 3.5miles north.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the side of the highway.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This was a last minute idea for something fun on new years eve for our friends and my wife and I to rent a couple rooms. We named our own price on priceline and got our rooms VERY cheap. Despite the low price, our rooms were very nice. The rooms were updated with stainless appliances, modern furniture, and a large flat screen tv. The staff was very helpfull and nice. Residence inn has a breakfast buffet each morning that is much bigger and better than hotels we have spent four times as much money to stay at. Only disappointing thing about this place was a very small workout facility. It was more like a large closet. Very good overall. We would highly recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I went onto Priceline to book this room- named my own price- 3 star hotel- and this is what I got.... EXTREME VALUE! I usually share how much I get each hotel for- but this time, out of such respect for the hotel- I'm going to keep that a secret. What I can tell you is: the complimentary breakfast which includes waffles, eggs, sausages, bisquits, gravy, cereal- bagel fruit and so much more- would have cost me half of what I spent on the room. Upon check-in, I was greeted by a kind gentleman, who took the time to speak to my daughter. He knew that she was looking forward to going to the indoor pool ASAP which she could see from the check-in desk and he joked around with her. He took the time to tell me where the bedding would be located for the sofa bed and that a queen bed was in the room. Upon entering the room, I realized that this wasn't just a room- it was a condo or suite whichever you prefer. Very spacious, updated kitchen- large flat screen tv which you could spin in order to watch from the living room or from the queen bed. Large double sink vanity outside of the bathroom itself. The indoor pool and hot tub were occupied by a few high energy boys, but we were still able to find a little space for my 5 year old to swim and not be hit by a flying ball. There was plenty of seating by the pool area and plenty of towels as well. Changing rooms were conveniently located. Pools gross me out in general- I would much prefer to swim in the ocean or a pond- but this one seemed very clean compared to most that I've had to participate in due to my daughter's love for them. This hotel is super close to the Maine Mall, Christmas Tree Shops and lots and lots of restaurants. Walmart and Texas Roadhouse are just across the street as well as Shaws in case you need groceries. Besides a very delicious breakfast the hotel also offers happy hour in the evening. A menu is located on the refrigerator and each day has a different theme- barbeque- sloppy joes etc. The room was super clean. There 2 very minor details, if I had to complain about anything. There was something wrong with the tub stopper- it wouldn't go down, no matter what I did so my daughter ended up having to take a shower instead. And I would say, our room was to the traffic side because there was some noise but other than that- just fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask which rooms are going to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mazooo
Reviewed December 6, 2011

This hotel is a great value for what you get. We had a one bedroom for three nights. The first night the freeway (I95) traffic was so bad we got no sleep. The next morning we asked to be moved and the front staff did so quickly and efficiently. Clearly we were not the only ones who have complained according to what staff. So ask for a room facing away from the interstate if you don't want trucks roaring past all night long. That's the only negative issue. The rooms are spacious, clean, well appointed. There is a great breakfast and light dinner. The staff is friendly. The hot tub is relaxing. parking is free and plentiful. Loved the two seperate rooms as I like to go to bed early and my husband likes to stay up and watch TV. No problem in this hotel.

Room Tip: Be usre to ask for a room away from the highway. Odd numbered rooms are in the back near the highwa...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank NEFrequentTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Candlewood Suites Portland - Scarborough
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#11 of 13 in Scarborough
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine

Been to Residence Inn Portland Scarborough? Share your experiences!