“RUBBISH”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Augusta, Maine
“RUBBISH”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The GF and I stopped here with the little man for a night and it was the biggest mistake we could make. We should have known as there was no one in the parking lot. Hotels.com gave us a good deal but they accidentally booked us two rooms. When I went to check in there was no one there. I rang the bell that they put out and it still took 10 minutes to get someone to check us in. They never once said that we had another room, or offered us a key to the other room. When we awoke in the morning we noticed that we had double the charge. The GF went out to talk to the staff to clear it up, and the sheepish lady at the front desk past it off to the owner/manager. He then berated and yelled at my GF saying it wasn’t his fault. My GF works in customer service and is used to being yelled at, but he did it in such a way that she was irate. The icing on this cake is that he did it with little man right next to her. She sent little man down to get me, so I would deal with him. When I spoke with him he was still rude but he didn’t yell at me. I at first thought that the GF might have been over reacting but when the Owner/manager walked out from around the front desk he started yelling at her saying he wasn’t going to deal with her. I pulled him aside, he told me there was nothing he could do and walked away. The GF called hotels.com to see what they could do… and hotels.com tried calling the hotel. The hotel said that there was a leak in the pool and that the manager wasn’t available. This as it turns out is the company lie to get you to hang up so they don’t have to deal with you. After having my family belittled and yelled, with poor customer service I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone.
On the other hand the rooms were nice and clean, and the breakfast provided was nice. It is a shame because this hotel was nice aside from the poor customer service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Check in was fine and clerk friendly, but I had to ring the bell too. Beds were comfortable and room clean as are standard Comfort Inns. However, the next morning the breakfast which are normally very good @ most other C.Inn hotels, was HORRIBLE. Eggs were bad, poor overall selection, only one juice, lousy scrabble, and afraid to try their coffee. I would stay @ this hotel again but would look @ other options for breakfast. The area around the hotel is very quiet and not on a busy highway so that is a big plus too !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian F
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Upon arrival, at 7:30 pm, I had to ring the bell to call someone to the front desk. The clerk simply handed me my room key and walked away. She didn't ask for ID or payment! She assumed I was paying with the card I used to reserve the room (which was my Choice Privileges card, and had recently expired). I had to ring the bell again, and ask her if I could pay for the room. Of course, she didn't know what she was doing, and had to ask someone to help her figure out how to receive payment (why was she working the front desk?)

Our floor was extremely noisy, with children running in the halls and slamming doors, and adults (presumably their parents) partying loudly next door until midnight. When I called the front desk to complain, they did come to the room, and asked them to quiet down, and they did.

We were given a handicap-accessible room, so the bathroom was cavernous, but the room was much smaller than a standard room. The shower was equipped with an ADA showerhead, which was broken, so it sprayed directly into my chest (I'm slightly less than average height).

The TV reception is terrible. The printed guide in the room even described the channels as "snowy". Rather than indicate the channels as "snowy", why not actually fix the problem.

We were disappointed with our experience here, and probably won't come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Erie, MI
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Check in clerk was not overly friendly and was very strict about check-in time. We wanted to drop our bags off early (maybe 12-ish), but were informed check in was at 3 PM. Parking lot was empty save 1 car (presumably hers)...so found it hard to believe no room was available...but whatever. 2nd experience with desk staff...it took about 20 minutes to get towels for the pool. This was around 4 PM, and again only one desk person (different clerk)...and he was taking hotel reservations while people waited at the desk! Even by the time it was my turn up in line, the phone rang and I had to stand there while he quoted them room prices and then booked their room. The "shower" you use in the pool area is basically a hose you rinse off with...and pool was very COLD. I booked a suite with 2 queens and it wasn't what I would usually call a suite. But, it was clean and beds were comfortable. But next time wouldnt pay the extra $$ for the "suite".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family of 5 stayed here over Memorial Day weekend.
We had requested, and received, adjoining rooms. Two queens in each room.

Everything was very clean, there was no noise coming from the other rooms.
Beds were made, towels changed, and new toiletries daily.

The beds were very comfortable...or we were that exhausted...or a mixture of the both! Pillows were fine.

We did sample the continental breakfast, and it was more than fine.

Every front desk person I came in contact with was very friendly and personable.

We did use the pool. It was clean. The temperature wasn't quite warm enough for the adults (even for an indoor pool, it could have been turned up just a couple of degrees) but the kids had a good time.

The only issue we had was the fact that it was a non smoking hotel, and the person across the hall from us was chain smoking in her room. The front desk did everything in their power to make it better. The hotel was full, so there was no changing our rooms, but we just would crack the window and her smell would be gone.
(For the record. We are smokers. We don't smoke inside though. Esp not in a non smoking hotel!)

It was a nice stay, and I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
milford maine
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I spent the night at the Comfort in in Scarborough Me on May 18, 2013. The staff was friendly and helpful. Check in was easy and quick. The room was spacious and clean. There were also many updates in the room. However, the pillows were horrible and the beds were not the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. I also think the bed linens could be updated. That said it was quiet and that is a huge plus when you are tired.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Friendsville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had, and I have traveled around the entire country as well as foreign cities. I was kind of surprised, because my sisters and I had been traveling around Maine and found everyone to be so friendly. When we checked in this hotel, the front desk person was ok, but not really very friendly. Maybe she was tired...it was late at night. I had been sure to book a room with 2 queen beds, since there were 4 of us. When I checked in, the front desk clerk was upset to find out we were a party of 4. But that was how I booked my reservation! I was quoted a price, and I paid in advance. She said we owed another $50.00! I said why won't you honor what I booked and prepaid for? She said our booking said we had 2 adults and 2 children. But that is NOT what I booked...how was that my fault? We had NO children!! She said she would have to check with the manager in the morning and would tell us what she said then. THEN she gave us keys to a room that was ALREADY occupied! We woke up a family who came to the door wondering WHY we were trying to get in to their room! One of us went downstairs and got the correct room number and keys. No, this was not a very pleasant thing to have to deal with late at night.
The room was fine...we were all tired and basically just went to bed. The next morning, I asked the clerk what the manager said, and the manager Pat came out an said that we would have to pay the money. It was unbelievable that they were not going to honor what I was quoted! I did talk her into lowering it a little, but I still paid over $50 with taxes. I hardly think that we used that much more soap and shampoo, and not all of us even ate the breakfast or ate very little!! They already had my credit card number, so I guess I was backed into a corner! The breakfast was pretty nice, although I was too upset to eat much. The hotel is in a location that was convenient for us since we were flying out of Boston the next morning, but it isn't located near anything of interest at all if you are a tourist. I would NEVER book this hotel again, they are not very kind to their guests! It is sad when a company like this does not value their customers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
#2 of 13 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,244 reviews
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Residence Inn Portland Scarborough

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!