“Pricey for just OK”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Check in clerk was not overly friendly and was very strict about check-in time. We wanted to drop our bags off early (maybe 12-ish), but were informed check in was at 3 PM. Parking lot was empty save 1 car (presumably hers)...so found it hard to believe no room was available...but whatever. 2nd experience with desk staff...it took about 20 minutes to get towels for the pool. This was around 4 PM, and again only one desk person (different clerk)...and he was taking hotel reservations while people waited at the desk! Even by the time it was my turn up in line, the phone rang and I had to stand there while he quoted them room prices and then booked their room. The "shower" you use in the pool area is basically a hose you rinse off with...and pool was very COLD. I booked a suite with 2 queens and it wasn't what I would usually call a suite. But, it was clean and beds were comfortable. But next time wouldnt pay the extra $$ for the "suite".

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family of 5 stayed here over Memorial Day weekend.
We had requested, and received, adjoining rooms. Two queens in each room.

Everything was very clean, there was no noise coming from the other rooms.
Beds were made, towels changed, and new toiletries daily.

The beds were very comfortable...or we were that exhausted...or a mixture of the both! Pillows were fine.

We did sample the continental breakfast, and it was more than fine.

Every front desk person I came in contact with was very friendly and personable.

We did use the pool. It was clean. The temperature wasn't quite warm enough for the adults (even for an indoor pool, it could have been turned up just a couple of degrees) but the kids had a good time.

The only issue we had was the fact that it was a non smoking hotel, and the person across the hall from us was chain smoking in her room. The front desk did everything in their power to make it better. The hotel was full, so there was no changing our rooms, but we just would crack the window and her smell would be gone.
(For the record. We are smokers. We don't smoke inside though. Esp not in a non smoking hotel!)

It was a nice stay, and I would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I spent the night at the Comfort in in Scarborough Me on May 18, 2013. The staff was friendly and helpful. Check in was easy and quick. The room was spacious and clean. There were also many updates in the room. However, the pillows were horrible and the beds were not the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. I also think the bed linens could be updated. That said it was quiet and that is a huge plus when you are tired.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had, and I have traveled around the entire country as well as foreign cities. I was kind of surprised, because my sisters and I had been traveling around Maine and found everyone to be so friendly. When we checked in this hotel, the front desk person was ok, but not really very friendly. Maybe she was tired...it was late at night. I had been sure to book a room with 2 queen beds, since there were 4 of us. When I checked in, the front desk clerk was upset to find out we were a party of 4. But that was how I booked my reservation! I was quoted a price, and I paid in advance. She said we owed another $50.00! I said why won't you honor what I booked and prepaid for? She said our booking said we had 2 adults and 2 children. But that is NOT what I booked...how was that my fault? We had NO children!! She said she would have to check with the manager in the morning and would tell us what she said then. THEN she gave us keys to a room that was ALREADY occupied! We woke up a family who came to the door wondering WHY we were trying to get in to their room! One of us went downstairs and got the correct room number and keys. No, this was not a very pleasant thing to have to deal with late at night.
The room was fine...we were all tired and basically just went to bed. The next morning, I asked the clerk what the manager said, and the manager Pat came out an said that we would have to pay the money. It was unbelievable that they were not going to honor what I was quoted! I did talk her into lowering it a little, but I still paid over $50 with taxes. I hardly think that we used that much more soap and shampoo, and not all of us even ate the breakfast or ate very little!! They already had my credit card number, so I guess I was backed into a corner! The breakfast was pretty nice, although I was too upset to eat much. The hotel is in a location that was convenient for us since we were flying out of Boston the next morning, but it isn't located near anything of interest at all if you are a tourist. I would NEVER book this hotel again, they are not very kind to their guests! It is sad when a company like this does not value their customers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here while visiting family in the area. This is a new, clean looking motel. The location is perfect for travelers as it is right on Route 1. The room was not overly large but clean and new and had everything you needed in it. Bathroom was large, clean and the only convenience missing was the fact that there was no fan in the bathroom thus steamy and foggy. The personnel at the front desk was very pleasant and friendly. Since we did not stay for the complimentary breakfast I cannot comment on that. Pool area looked clean. Definitely will stay there again when in the area. Moderately priced- at least this time of year!

Room Tip: Would request not to be in a room next to elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed 1 night and found the location to be fine for going back into the main part of Freeport for shopping/dining after check in. Friendly front desk staff, clean room, standard complimentary breakfast that is the same at all Comfort locations. The room had a bad layout at the closet door, bathroom door, entry door area. Room was right by the ice machine and we did notice a bit of noise from that but not too bad. Overall a standard Comfort Inn/Suites that would be a good place to stay for short stays in Scarbourough

Room Tip: stay at another property
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Ericasser9000
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel was clean.Hard to regulate room temperature.Staff was friendly.
The breakfast was horrible,dried up scrambled eggs, waffle batter was tasteless,no whole grain bread,only two choices on cereal. Commented on dry eggs but was not resolved.
The pool was small and water temp was cool.
Would not return.

Room Tip: Not near elevators
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple