“If you want poor service then stay here”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Fredericton, Canada
“If you want poor service then stay here”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I chose this brand of hotel because I have had really good results in the past...until now! Our flight to Portland had been delayed by several hours which made our arrival to this property around 3 am. By this time my young children were very tired and just wanted to go to sleep. Check in was horrible and took a very long time. First off, I was not sure the clerk was an employee of the hotel chain as he did not have a uniform on much less a name tag. After he found my name in the system he informed me that since I was arriving so late, he had no choice to charge me for one night stay and charge me a for another night. After a lengthy discussion he did honour my original reservation and did not charge me a second night. Check in took more than 20 minutes. The room itself was in good order however the beds were double not queen size. My wife went down to the breakfast area at 5 minutes past nine and was informed it closes at 9 am. She did manage to scoop up a couple of stale muffins and something that was suppose to be coffee. Thank goodness there is a Tim Hortens just down the street! We did speak to management in the morning to which an apology was never offered only the excuses the night clerk was new. The hotel is nowhere near the airport and difficult to find especially if you are not from the area. There are many other hotels to choose from closer to the airport which I must recommend you stay at.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
maine
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Looked nice on the outside. We arrived around 9:00 p.m to be located near a medical building for my wife's treatment, we would being staying one or two nights a month for the next 2 years.Should have known something was up as soon as I walked to the desk. The clerk looked up from her paper and said "what". For a room we wanted a high floor, king bed, away from the elevator. Was told no aaa rate for top floor. I said thanks and started to walk away, she said can take $5:00 off no more. Ok went up to room right be side elevator (there was no noise as hotel was far from full). Room was very small. one double bed would have been tight in this room. room very cold as I'm sure they did not expect to rent many. Three brown stains on a grungy looking spread, a large brown (coffee) stain by the desk. 10 or 12 tv stations that were not very clear. The desk had no work lamp and the desk draw had broken pieces of sharp plastic from the missing hotel info rack. bed was poor. I wonder what the rooms look like that they do give discounts.The bathroom was the best part of the room but how much time do you really spend there. Went down to breakfast at 8:35 asked desk clerk/manger " where is breakfast served?" with out looking up or saying a word he pointed to the spot, the very dirty spot, trash bins over flowing. Out of coffee no hot offering just the server standing there cold and empty. Very watered down juice and only 2 dixie cups full of lumpy waffle batter. Went to check out slid my key card on the desk clerk/manger did not look up but did say "thanks"
We have had good luck with most Choice hotels finding them to be a good value. and mostly reliable. we are in fact happy repeat guests at several of them in new England.
Would we stay at this one again? NO

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank littlefield3

Travelers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Colchester, Vermont
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Good place to stay while visiting the area, close to outfitter store, short distance off interstate, close to local restaurants / beach
Clean rooms & friendly staff, pool was closed during stay, no reason.
Free breakfast was not worth the trip to the lobby, their is a Tim Horton's across the street,
Off season rates are good, in season they are over - priced for location, you could find an equal room close to the beach for the same monry

Room Tip: Good value in the off - season Near major outfitter store & close to interstate / local restaur...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Booked a four nite stay, 1 king, 1 king suite. Booked through choice hotel web site. Arrived 4pm on thursday and checked into rooms. King suite was fine. The other king was a handicapped room which we did not book. Went to desk and requested the room be changed, and was advised could not change and the morning mgr does rooms and he cannot change the room. Told him that was unacceptable. Upon leaving for dinner, was advised can change room to a suite for one nite and back to regular room on Friday, but it would cost me "more money". Told him I would take the room, when we got back from dinner. upon our return, we were advised not going to change our room. bottom line, we did get room changed (twice). Comfort Inn policy "100% satisfaction guarantee." If you are not pleased with your room or aour service, inform the front desk staff. If we cannot correct the situation in a timely manner and to your satisfaction you will not be charged for your room.
Upon checkout requested to speak to general mgr. or owner, to discuss bill, but was told he was not in, but would be in shortly. Paid bill andleft my cell number for the person to call me. Never called. spoke to choice hotels a day later and was advised that a letter from comfort Innn was being sent to me. Never received any communication from comfort Inn. Choice hotels refunded one nite stay.
Called Comfort Inn to speak to owner, to discuss my dissatisfaction with the staff, but was not available. He did call me and before I could tell him why I was calling, he advised me that "I ate like a pig, wanted free food, and go to hell" and hung up on me.
Other than that rooms were clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank senior902
Dartmouth, MA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

If you had ever travelled with my mother, then you would know the most important thing to her in a hotel is a hotel room with windows that open. She hates air conditioning and loves fresh air. I may not be as obsessive as my mother, but I do appreciate hotel rooms with windows that open. And the Comfort Inn has windows that open so I can shut off the a/c and enjoy the fresh air in the room. In addition, this hotel, at which I have stayed several times, has comfortable rooms with enough space to move around, friendly staff at the front desk, and a decent breakfast included with the room. If you travel with children, then you know how much they love a hotel pool. The pool at this hotel is basic but clean. It wasn't used by other hotel guests on any of my visits, so it was perfect for me to swim laps in the morning and then let the children play in during the afternoon. The location isn't exciting, you can't walk to anything, but it's a convenient location on Route 1 so you can easily drive to any destination in Scarborough, whether it be beach, grocery store, Scarborough Downs or Beechridge Speedway. We used it for a family visit when there were too many of us to fit into the relative's house and we were all happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south side of the hotel, so you're not overlooking the parking lot or Rout...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Nice clean hotel -- bad lumpy pillows. Convenient to south Portland and
I-95.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Europe
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Like in many hotels in August in Maine prices are high compared to what you get. This hotel is a very basic one, and somewhat tired in appearance and service, too. Location is good, just minutes from I-95 and Cabela's.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank amam66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!