“A Great Place to Stay”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a great stay here. We drove from New Jersey and gotto the hotel 6hrs later around 6:30pm and having a welcoming light dinner was excellent! I would stay here again. The only suggestion I have is that since the shower in the bathroom is large enough it should have 2 shower heads! Just kidding!

Room Tip: The hotel itself does not have a restaurant but they do offer a lite dinner (Monday -Thur) and break...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zara h

Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Staff was just ok. We didn't feel the love. Room was clean enough but smelled of cigarette smoke even tho we had a non smoking room. (This was the biggest negative.) Food was pretty good. It's about 5 miles to Portland so it is pretty easy to get into the city from here. The Maine mall is only mile away.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Dav_1010
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Now a lot of you who have been to Disney Resorts, have heard this when you are there "Welcome Home" Its always nice to hear that after a long hot day. Granted, I love Disney but they "Dont take care of you, like they do here" Take care of you? Why yes, they do! Listen, you get your rooms cleaned everyday, morning you get a 5 star breakfast, and Mon-Thurs you also get dinner. The staff, are all friendly, and I stayed a week, so we pretty much saw them all. If you have a negative thing to say about them, I have to wonder about that. They supply you with dish soap, and dishwasher powder, Neutrogena bathroom products, fluffy towels, and the most comfortable bed and pillows. The AC and heat actually works when you push a button. There is also an overhead fan with the lights over the bed. The windows work, and you can open them for fresh air. The rooms are soundproof and you can not hear anyone in the hallways or room next door, or above you.

My girls used the pool area, which had a hot tub, and also the gym. It was small but they used it, and were grateful it was there. I used the laundry room, where they had 2 washers and 2 dryers. It was $2 bucks ea. for each machine. spotless, and there was a long counter and two high stools to sit at if you wanted. There was an ATM machine tucked in the corner of the lobby. Very comfortable furniture, and many tables to eat at. Outside in the back were a couple of grills if you wanted to use them, and a basketball area.

Parking is close to the hotel and a safe area, be aware there are only about 5 handicap spaces, so if you need one you better be back early, or they are gone. The hotel is centered around everything you can think of , stores, Mall, restaraunts, pet places, you name it they had it. It is about 15 to 20 minutes away from the shore although directions to Higgins Beach said 10, I couldnt do it. Directions, I would suggest a GPS to get around to tourist places, as the computer directions we got ....we were so lost twice, it was tragic. My daughter remembered we had GPS w/cell phones, so that helped us. Its really not hard to get around, very easy with the back roads once you get use to it. In fact the directions we got on the computer had us going to Mars, and back and all you had to do was go out of the hotel hang a left and the second right was the road....just an example of what I mean. Its not the hotel's fault, but I would just stay with the GPS.

Kim the Manager, is one of a kind. I have stayed at a lot of hotels, but she is special. She personally called our room the second day there and asked if everything was okay...I mean..who does that? Not only that but she is visible throughout the hotel. She is the perfect hostess. One day while we were hanging out waiting for the room to be cleaned, I asked my husband if he wanted to play a game of chess, they have tables with the boards built in. My daughter and husband played chess while my other daughter and I were in front of the big screen TV. Kim pulled out some puzzles for us, if we wanted to use them.

There is a little store next to the front desk, that has candy, ice cream and frozen dinners, if you dont want to go out. The rooms have a fridge, stove top, dishwasher, and pans, plates, glasses and anything you need to cook for yourself, although you really only need to have lunch there, or out, so your taken care of.

All in all this is the place for us when we are in the area. Yes, I love to stay on the beach, but I think I will stay here and drive to the beach, I was that impressed. Do not hesitate to stay here, you wont be sorry.

Thanks to Kim and Staff, your doing a great job we will be back soon!

Room Tip: 1. First floor is for dogs and smokers. 2. There are 2 room suites, but they go fast so book well i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
kim_dennis, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your visit to our hotel and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We really appreciate the feedback and it sounds like you had such a nice time when your were here. I am so glad we met your hotel needs and thanks for all the nice things you to say about us! On behalf of our hotel, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit at Homewood Suites by Hilton - Portland, Maine. Come back soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I visited the Homewood Suites in Scarborough on August 17th with my wife and two little girls. The location was great. It's about 6 miles from downtown Portland and its near he Maine Mall. It is in a very convenient location. The hotel is super clean and well kept. The hotel was very busy when we checked in at 8pm on a Friday night. He front desk clerk got us checked in very quickly. The room was a standard 1 bedroom suite with a king sized bed. It was nice sized and had a full kitchen and two 37 inch flat screens. The room was spotless. The morning hot breakfast was very good. It was a buffet breakfast with hot and cold items. We didn't use the pool, but it looked nice. We will definitely consider staying here again when we go to Portland.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

It sounds like you had a nice time while you were at guest at our hotel! We all appreciate the time you took to write about your visit with us. Thank you for the feedback and for choosing our Homewood Suites by Hilton when you were in the Portland area, I know there are many hotel options in neighborhood. I hope you'll be back soon and be sure to pack your bathing suites for your next stay!

Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was everything you would expect from a nice Homewood Suites. The rooms are fresh, large, and comfortable. The check in was efficient and front desk clerk was very polite and accommodating. I was a little surprised by the price of the room, seems higher than most homewood suites hotels, but maybe it's the area? I don't spend much time in Maine, so I'm unsure. If I'm ever in the area again, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of your stay on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit at our Homewood Suites by Hilton - Portland, ME. Our front desk team takes pride in delivering personal, helpful, and polite service to our guests and I will be sure to let them know that you mentioned them in your review. Our suites are so roomy and comfortable and the rates do vary depending on the time of year and the suite type; please let me know when you are coming again so I may do my best to find the right suite option for you and your family.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and two kids just returned from a 6 day 5 night stay in Maine and they claimed virtually everything was great. Rooms were very clean; kitchen had a full sized & very clean refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher. King bed very comfortable with soft pillows and plenty of room for two people to sleep on it. Hotel maids did a great job with cleaning our room and every hotel staff member was pleasant and friendly. Hotel very close to the neighboring shopping areas including the "Maine Mall", making a trip to the store quick and easy. Breakfast and dinner was great. Hotel is only a few miles away from Portland. Overall, this is a great place to stay and if you are planning to vacation in the Portland area, i highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Wayne G
kim_dennis, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

What a nice review you wrote about our Homewood Suites by Hilton in Portland, ME, thank you! We are so pleased that you and your family found our hotel just right for your well deserved vacation week. I will pass along your kind words to the entire Homewood Team at our next morning Huddle, they love to hear guest comments.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2012

On July27th my husband and I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Scarborough, ME. We flew from Philadelphia to Portland, ME and the hotel is 2 miles from the airport. We make this trip several times a year as we have a vacation home in Maine. We have stayed at Homewood Suites (near the Portland airport) a number of times and are always greeted warmly as if we had just been there!!! This time we were supposed to leave Philadelphia on Thursday, July 26th bu the flights north were cancelled because of violent storms in the north. We called Homewood Suites and they immediately changed our reservation to the following night. The hotel is comfortable & clean. The personnellare friendly and efficient. A breakfast is included every day and a dinner is included Monday through Thursday. The food is good and the kitchen staff is personable and anxious to make sure you have everything you need or want. We have always been treated as a "welcome guest." We had left our car there as part of the "Park & Fly" package. We will continue to stay there as often as we can!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pema27quid

Thanks for taking the time to review our Homewood on TripAdvisor, and such a nice one, too! We look forward to your next visit to our hotel on your way to visit your Vacation Home. We also offer complimentary airport shuttle to and from Portland Jetport. See you again soon,
Kim Dennis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Candlewood Suites Portland - Scarborough
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
#1 of 13 in South Portland
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Residence Inn Portland Scarborough

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland? Share your experiences!