“Excellant”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had to go for a meeting and I ordered lobster alfredo with asparagus and it was awesome! Priced well and gave you a lot of food for that price. love the place and cant wait to go again!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I visited the Weathervane in Sanford, Maine after a long trip from Virginia. We were starving from a 13 hour trip. I ordered the lobster for $27.00 and a bowl of lobster bisque soup. The wife had an appetizer platter for $10.00. The chicken wings on the platter were cold and my soup was cold as well. I notified the waiter and he promptly sent the soup and platter back to the kitchen to be re-heated and expressed his apologies. Later the manager came out to greet us and handed us coupons for $5.00 off our next meal at Weathervane. He was pleasant, but rather a superficial resolve with little sincerity behind his apology was expressing more in the area of how he is training his workers in general but de-focused from the issue at hand, i.e. cold food. Get this, the expiration of the coupon is 12/31/13. That gives us a year, but the likelihood of returning to Maine is slim to none. Why didn't they just take it off the present bill or a complimentary desert or something. After drinks and the cost of the meal, the bill totaled $57.00. I left a generous $10.00 tip for the waiter as we realize it was not his fault the food was cold and nasty. I have traveled the world and have had the best of the best. The Weathervane was not even up in the league with Red Lobster. Truly disappointing given the hype over Maine lobster. I was looking so forward to a great meal.

I discourage anyone from visiting the Weatervane in Sanford, Maine.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is the second time ever eating in a Weathervane and there is nothing great about them. The food is average and their is nothing there that would bring me back.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

A friend and I went to weathervane for lunch on 9/17/12. The restaurant was quite empty, only a couple of tables occupied.

My friend ordered a bowl of clam chowder, said that it was good. She mentioned that she hasn't been to a weathervane in many years. Was please that the clam chowder hasn't changed.

I ordered the native shrimp plate, and then an order of onion rings for us to share. I was rather dissapointed with how little shrimp that was on my plate. I do believe that the breading on the shrimp has changed as well, and not for the better. The french fries were piled high and then shrimp on top of those. I honestly think that piling the ff really high on the plate makes people think that they are getting a lot of food.
Let's talk about the onion rings. I have had these in the past and they were spectacular, however that was not the case this time. Most of them were cut so thin that they burned in the frying process.

Waitress was very attentive, kept checking back on us to see if we needed anything else.

I remember a time when I would look forward to going there to get the best native shrimp out there. Unfortunately I am not sure that I will be rushing back to eat there again.

I am giving a rating of average due to the fact that my friend said that her chowder was really good. If I was rating just my own meal I would give a poor rating.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We enjoy the Weathervane Seafood Restaurant in Kittery, Maine. The chain is a mostly fried seafood kind of place although you can get some broiled fish and I hope steamers and boiled lobster. The Weathervane in Sanford is rather depressing. We were hungry and didn't want to drive around any longer so stopped for a quick lunch. I have always appreciated other Weathervanes but this one is a whole 'nother thing. Mystery solved as to why there were few cards in the parking lot at noon on a Friday but - as they say - we now know the rest of the story. This particular restaurant is dark and tired seeming from the moment you enter to the sticky table and chairs. The waitress was uncouth, loud and unprofessional. My broiled haddock sandwich was quite good and the steamed veggies just what I hoped for. The slaw was excellent. My friend had a lobster roll and pronounced it an "honest" sandwich and quite tasty. We passed on dessert and were quite happy to leave the place. Won't go back again. The lesson for Sanford is to perhaps pack a lunch! The only reason for going to Sanford is the fun outing of going to Marden's Salvage.