“Excellent food and service at affordable prices.”
Review of Back Street Grill

Back Street Grill
Ranked #8 of 58 Restaurants in Sanford
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Very nice eating establishment. We ordered a food deal offered and this did provided enough food for a party of four.

1  Thank Thomas P

Reviewed August 10, 2014

The service staff were pleasant, very attentive to refill water & soft drinks. Menu was diversified with plenty of choices. Our items were served quickly, hot and as described on the menu. Portions were as expected - the pasta came with awesome garlic toast & my wrap with big fat crispy fries. They only had 2 desserts both made in house & we got those to go. Cheesecake was nice, but had frozen limp strawberries. They have outside tables, but with the temps - chose indoors. We were just traveling through the area, but would visit again if nearby.

1  Thank fufu58
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed in Sanford one night and I checked out local places to eat online. The Back Street Grill got great reviews online, so we decided to check it out.

The waitress was very friendly and the wine was great! Downstairs is casual dining and upstairs is the pub.

My husband had the baked stuff haddock, which he loved, but he ordered sweet potato fries and got regular fries. They took his plate back and then returned with it to say the fries were being cooked and they didn't want the rest of his food to get cold while he waited for the fries. A few minutes later they came out but were burned. I've included a photo!

I asked for A-1 sauce and the bottle came to the table empty, honest mistake, but then my steak came out medium and I asked for medium rare. It was tasty but very fatty. The baked potato was dry like it was cooked in the morning and sat all day. $18.99 for the steak meal and $16.99 for the haddock. The meal came with potato and vegetable. We wanted a salad with the meal and the charge was $1.99 each. For a small town like Sanford and the quality of the food and the decor of the place (a bit old and run down), I'm surprised at the high prices. If I were in Portsmouth, I would be prepared for a $20 meal, but not in Sanford, Maine and especially at a place that needs updating.

One last thing, the website does not do justice to the place. I had to go to their Facebook page to see any kind of photos. I suggested to the waitress that the owner update his website using Wix.com, template-based, user-friendly, do-it-yourself web design.

Anyway, we now wished we had tried some place else!

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Although it's been open for quite some time I had never really bothered to eat here until recently. The food that I have had has been excellent. Prime Rib last Friday evening was cooked to perfection( med-rare ) and the sweet potato fries are awesome! I will definitely be going back.

2  Thank Chipd67
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We go out to dinner once a month with great friends and this month it was our turn to choose...we have been there before and were pleased with our food...this time it was a disappointment...our waiter didn't seem to have his act together...our food took too long to come even though the restaurant wasn't that busy..when our food came all our vegetables were cold...the guys wanted another beer and our waiter didn't come back..by the time we were ready for desert he finally came back..he was very pleasant but he isn't waiter material....