“Great experience!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Specialty Lodging in Saco
maui
“Great experience!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We rented the 36 foot trailer for the night even though it was only two of us. It was an older model but amazingly spacious. It has room to sleep 6 comfortably with a living room, dining room, and full kitchen with regular sized refrigerator. It had one tv with dvd player and cable. Dvd selection is small at campstore but redbox down the street. The bathroom is nice sized with a full shower but the tank underneath fills up so you may be hoofin it down to the showers...very close though. This campground has the feeling of being deep in the woods with all the trees, but in reality you are right off the main thoroughfare. Friendly people and lots to do. Be sure to try the run of the mill restaurant down on the waterfront! And..use the trolley to get to the beach..parking down there is a nightmare!

• Stayed June 2012

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Claremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed here for the fourth time. It's very close the the ocean. We usually come up the weekend after Labor Day because the weather is still good, there are almost no crowds and the price is about half of normal rates. Each time, the staff have always been wonderful. The kabins are clean and the bathrooms are nice. The children enjoy the playground and swimming pool. We've stayed at alot of KOAs and this one is one of our favorites.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My family has been camping since I was a child. We have done the tent route, the pop-up route, and most recently the rental trailer route. I would say we are pretty experienced campers.

We found the Saco Old Orchard KOA 2 years ago when the campground we had stayed in Old Orchard went 100% seasonal, and I can't say enough good things about it.

We travelled with 6 adults and 2 children, and rented 2 of the rental trailers and one cabin. All of the accomodations were clean and very well maintained. We experienced a couple minor issues which were quickly remedied. Each campsite has a picnic table and fire ring, and the sites themselves were very spacious.

The public restrooms were spotless every time we used them. While we did have bathrooms in our units, with a number of adults and children, we often used the public restrooms and even the showers a couple times, and they were always clean.

The entire campground is very well maintained. The staff is very visable on a daily basis working on cleaning and upkeep of the sites. My sister and I walked the campground every day, and never did we see any trash or garbage, and the "roads" were kept clear.

The pool wasn't huge, but it was very clean and well maintained. I like that the "deep" end wasn't too deep, and it gave us more room to "play".

The playground for the kids was very cute, and my son loved it. While at first we were disappointed there were no swings, it quickly became a non issue as there was plenty to keep him busy. I love that the ground is covered with sand, great idea.

We enjoyed breakfast at the Merry Moose a few times, and it was wonderful. Especially loved the blueberry pancakes! Desserts there were great (and large) too.

The staff was wonderful. We never once had any issue with any member of the staff. By the end of our stay were knew many by first name, and were always greeted with a smile. My sister and (now) brother-in-law got engaged during our stay, and the staff helped us to put up signs and balloons at the entry way to congratulate them. While I never had the chance to meet or speak with Larry, Nancy (the co-owner) was a doll. She and I emailed back and forth several times in preparation for our trip. She was always willing and able to answers my questions, and did everything she was able to to help make our vacation just perfect.

I cannot say enough about how wonderful our stays have been here. I am sorry some other reviewers didn't have a good experience, but in the 2 years we have been, we really have never had anything to complain about!

2 Thank JessicaLee812
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I don't get the good reviews. This is a place to stay away from at all costs. If you go to campgrounds regularly this is one to avoid. Campground prides itself on poor service and less than perfect camp sites. The owner is not someone you want to meet. Deal with the staff if you can this guy is nasty even with small children around. He is a fowl man to meet!

Good luck!

Room Tip: Ask for a dry spot.
1 Thank Cole W
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The Koa is the best campground around! Clean, friendly and quiet. A must stay for any campers out there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed here 4 nights in August in a tent trailer with kids ages 7 and 10. Great central location for shopping and fun activities. Campground staff were very helpful and friendly, cleanest bathrooms and showers we've ever seen in a campground (and many hotels!). We loved the pool -- very warm and never crowded during our stay. Stayed in a premium site, and considered it worth the extra cost because of proximity to bathrooms and extra space/trees in site. Will absolutely return when travelling in Maine. Loved the pancakes!

Room Tip: Pick a premium site if you like a more wooded and private feel in campsites.
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I'm not sure why our experience was not similar to some of the other posted reviews, but I can assure you that my friends and I will never return to this campground and will tell everyone we know not to do the same. The day before we arrived, we called to confirm that we would have six people staying at the site, and everything was fine by them. However, the second night we were there, the owner accused us of blatantly lying about the number of people we had, and charging us an extra 35 dollars. He then demanded we take one of our tents down. Not only that, the owner also said he had been eavesdropping on our conversation and accused us of talking about "demon worshipping," and that it wasn't allowed on his campsite. I have honestly no idea where the hell he got that from, and even if we were to be that ridiculous, last time I checked it is a free country and we can talk about whatever we want. The staff consisted of cranky people who literally have nothing else to do but to drive around and yell at people for nothing. We were shoved in to a small tent site that was basically the backyard of a cabin and charged a decent amount for it. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is if you are adults that are looking to stay somewhere and actually enjoy yourselves, the Saco KOA is not the place to be.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jess T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saco
Hampton Inn Saco / Biddeford
Old Colonial Motel
Old Colonial Motel
#18 of 44 in Old Orchard Beach
Wagon Wheel RV Resort and Campground
Wagon Wheel RV Resort and Campgr...
#7 of 21 in Old Orchard Beach
Wild Acres RV Resort and Campground
Wild Acres RV Resort and Campgro...
#4 of 21 in Old Orchard Beach

Been to Saco/Old Orchard Beach KOA? Share your experiences!