“very clean well run campground”

Saco/Old Orchard Beach KOA
Ranked #1 of 3 Specialty Lodging in Saco
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We just got back from staying a few nights there. We stayed in the wilderness area in a tent. I liked the sites there since they were in the woods, and not crammed together. The site was level, but with some rocks, and there was a water spigot right next to us. Sites come with a picnic table and fire ring, and they will deliver firewood, ice and pizza to your site at no extra charge. When we got there they bring you to your site. The employees were all very helpful.
The bathrooms were extremely clean, I think almost everytime I went in there there was someone cleaning them. There are individual free hot showers, with a little bench and hooks to put your stuff. I liked the double sink for dishwashing that they provided.
The kids loved the heated pool. It was small and sometimes got crowded, but they had a great time. I wouldn't say there were a ton of activities like other camgrounds, some mornings they didn't have anything, but we stayed during the week so that is somewhat to be expected. We didn't see the movie because it wasn't one that we wanted to see, they had one night of it in french and the next in english. But there is a volleyball lot where you also can play badminton, a playground and basketball court. And the beaches aren't that far away and it is right down the road from Funtown/Splashtown and they sell discount tickets at the store. The store seemed to have pretty much everything you would need, maybe a little more expensive but not unreasonable, for example $7 for firewood whereas there are people selling if for $5, ice cost $3 and $2 at the store. There's also a Hannaford's not far.
We had the pizza at the Merry Moose one night, not bad at all. And we also had the blueberry pancakes and my kids chose the strawberry with whipped cream. The pancakes are large, my kids ate one pancake each.
I met the owner when she personally drove my son back to the site in a golf cart after he got lost on a trip to the restroom. She seemed very pleasant.
My kids did not want to leave and when I offered them the chance to go to Bayley's where there are more activities, after seeing how close the sites were together, my kids chose to stay at KOA for another night.

Room Tip: All the tent sites seemed fine. Some have a water spigot -it depends if you want the convenience or...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SionnaMac
There are newer reviews for Saco/Old Orchard Beach KOA

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Labor Day 2010 my husband and I stayed here and knew we wanted to bring our daughter and her family this past Memorial Day weekend so we could spend some time with our grandchildren. We weren't disappointed.
I was able to make our reservations via email in the spring with the owners to reserve a small cabin with full bath for my husband and myself and a larger lodge with kitchen and full bath for our daughter, her husband and our two young grandchildren for Memorial Day weekend. Our accommodations were clean and well-kept.
The best part of this KOA is all the activities for kids. There is an awesome playground and a heated swimming pool. On weekend nights, they show outdoor movies with popcorn. During the day, there are all kinds of activities-- tie-dye, scavenger hunts, etc. -- to keep your little ones busy. In case you decide to venture off the campground, there are lots of maps, directions and suggestions for local venues. There is also a trolley that stops the campground pretty much every hour that shuttles back and forth to Old Orchard Beach.
The staff is really just wonderful. Incredibly helpful, very friendly, they really go above and beyond to make sure your stay is comfortable. We had a wonderful time and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gssuzy
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We booked a trip late in the summer season and decided on OOB. There was limited availability for the end of July for a couple of nights so we snagged our reservations. We have two young children and tenting was not a good option. We stayed in a Studio Lodge cabin, had queen size bed for Mom and Dad and bunk beds for the kids.

We have stayed at these smaller cabins before and were generally disappointed with the size. Took a shot and were glad we did, worked out great!!!

Cabin is small but ok for what we needed. A lot more room than other experiences and it is brand new. Queen bed was very comfortable, you had to bring your own sheets/towels but we brought our pillows as well. There was a microwave, fridge and a nice bathroom with shower.

The cabin was excellent. Outside the cabin we had a fire pit, 4 wood rustic chairs and a nice 2 person swing. Staff was fantastic, 1st night they took us right to the cabin, super friendly people who are there to take care of the us the entire time. Store was great and they run a small eating place with pancakes in morning and pizza/burgers at night with ice cream.

I forgot to mention that campground is in best location right next to Funtown and a short drive to the beaches. Very quiet and you do get your space in a small campground. Kids loved campground and heated pool.

Any negatives would be that WiFi never seemed to work the three days that we were there. No big deal as we stayed busy. The Canadiens have already discovered this place as a treasure.

I'm not sure how anyone could have a bad experience with this campground with amenities and great staff. We are already making plans to return :)

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank NEFANMAN
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've been to several different KOA campgrounds. This KOA Saco campground was by far the best I've ever visited!!

I first noticed that the staff is very helpfull, friendly and polite. They drive you to your site and help you settle in if you have a camper (we have a tent trailer).

Everytime tyou go to the office, the staff is very helpfull. We had a hornet problem on our site and they came right away and lent us a can of spray for the week. When I went and complained again about the problem, they could not change our site because they were booked solid, so the owner went and bought some traps to get the yellow jacket hornets. I thought that was very helpful.

The bathrooms and showers are VERY clean. There is often a staff member cleaning them.

They have a small restaurant that serves pizza on most nigts, huge hamburgers and hotdogs and very yummy pancakes in the moring. The prices are great. They also have the best ice cream and I guess their blueberry pie is to diy for.

Quiet time is 10 pm. The campground was very quiet at night.

As you can tell, our experience was excellent!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank viclaf
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We took our two grandkids, ages 5 and 7, here for a two-day stay in one of the cabins and really enjoyed it. There was so much to do for the kids- volleyball, swimming pool, basketball, playground, activities (the tie dye was a big hit). The food at the Merry Moose was very good: pizza, blueberry pancakes, waffles. The staff were numerous, pleasant and very accomodating. I think my only critique was that the campsites were very close together but even with that it was quiet at night. This was so much better than staying at a hotel when you have young kids. Oh, and having a shuttle(additional fee) to take you to the beach was also a plus.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

2nd year to stay at the KOA at saco, me....staff very friendly and cabins with the comfort of a "hotel" but i love the cooking and campfires but can't "tent" any more. very centrally located to the beach. just a nice relaxing couple nights to "download" in the quiet. thanks

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We stayed there for a weekend in 2010, and rented one of their cabins. It was fairly new and very clean. The experience we had there was very positive. Staff was very friendly and eager to show us around the grounds. Great trip for us and I would recommend this campground to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saco
Exit 5 Motel and Cottages
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#1 of 13 in South Portland
Wild Acres RV Resort and Campground
Wild Acres RV Resort and Campgro...
#4 of 23 in Old Orchard Beach

Been to Saco/Old Orchard Beach KOA? Share your experiences!