“Winter Dining at the Birches”
Review of Birches Resort

Birches Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Rockwood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I've been to the Birches Resort during the winter a number of times for apres-snowmobiling drinks and dinner over the past ten or so years and I've had very few problems with the whole experience. It is THE place to be after a day on the trails, ice fishing or just enjoying a winter day. Great atmosphere - sit down by the fire and enjoy your favorite adult beverage while you thaw out. Yeah it gets cold up on the lake. Living in Salem, Massachusetts, it is about a five-hour drive for me and well worth a stopover during a long weekend up north. Dinners are usually very good - prime rib on weekend nights (usually around $24.95) is sometimes sold out so you want to get seated earlier than later. The menu is not overwhelming but there is a decent selection. I tend to stick with pork, beef or chicken since I live on the Massachusetts coast and am used to off-the-boat seafood. Breakfasts are also very good. Yes the bar can get crowded late afternoon or early evening and you might have to wait a few minutes for a drink. This is deep woods Maine and not Newport or Manhattan, so things are a bit slower here. If you are expecting a dedicated waitress or personal cook, you're about 300 miles too far north. One thing on which I will agree with a previous reviewer is that the well water does taste a bit funny - I usually ask for bottled water. Ask for Karen at the bar - she makes a great Stoli-Raz.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Birches Resort was not much more than a hunting camp. Not bad for a hunting camp, but I would not expect the "fine dining" experience they advertise. My high heels would have gotten stuck in the mud parking lot.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We dined at the Birches Resort for a late lunch, and had the place to ourselves. I ordered the Marinated Chicken Sandwich & Homemade Chips ($8.95). The sandwich was good, but the chips were a little bland. However, I'm happy that they did not douse them in salt. My sweetheart had the Turkey Veggie Soup ($3.95), which was filled with large chunks of meat. It was very good, but too salty. He also had the Cashew Chicken Salad Wrap ($8.95), which was huge. He thought it was good, but a little too much mayo.

Our server was attentive & willing to answer all of our questions about the area. Try to get a window seat, because the view of the lake is beautiful! Say hello to Hunter the basset hound.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We love this part of the lake, its generally much more quite then the southern part with all the views and then some. Having said that we recently rented a lake house for a week and after few meals wanted a break from cooking. Seeming that Rockwood does not have many dining options we visited Birches. Let’s start with the view, it’s amazing!! How can you go wrong when your property is facing the lake. We ate here twice. Once inside due to the cool weather and once outside. The first time the food came out in timely manner, I cannot say I thought my lunch was amazing or even decent and was slightly disappointed considering I ordered a Turkey club, but we came back again as the rest of our dining party seemed to enjoy it. The second time we came back it took well over an hour to receive our food! This may have been caused due to a full house but there was 2 other tables there! We started off joking that it would be faster to drive to nearby town for lunch and were shocked to find out that had we done this we would have been eating sooner having done just that. When the food came out some of it was stone cold. But again most of our party did enjoy the food. So in short I guess its hit and miss. Order burger or soup or salad and you should be good. Better yet, order a glass of wine or a cold beer and enjoy the views. You can’t go wrong with that!