“Beautiful location but cabins need serious updating”
Review of The Birches Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rockwood
The Birches Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rockwood
Reviewed July 27, 2010

What a shame. The Birches has a fabulous location on the lake and it could be great. The cabins really need updating -- particularly the bathrooms. The showerhead was taped to the pipe but it still leaked. We could only get hot water sporadically. The porch was the best part of the whole experience. For this price they should put some money into them before they unravel completely. The other issue is the cabins are VERY close together -- maybe 20 feet at most. You can hear EVERYTHING your neighbors are doing. Add to that my 9 year old daughter had two leaches when she came out of the swimming area. I've since read that is very common on lakes in the northeast but yuck!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank soundview

Reviewed July 22, 2010

I was looking forward our trip to The Birches after checking out their website, brochure, and Trip Advisor reviews. Because we were staying Monday-Friday, I was told we were required to purchase a meal plan. The three of us did, but were continually confused over the process for tipping our waitress and we kept getting conflicting information. The food was pretty bland and tasteless- except for the breakfast sandwich. We all loved that. I also found it to be very expensive for the quality. Also the tap water everywhere had a strong lead taste.

We stayed in one of the cabins. It was a bit too rustic for my taste- and I've stayed in tents camping before. It was always dark inside, the lighting wasn't adequate, no fans or air conditioning and poor ventilation made the nights almost unbearable.

No excursions of any sort are included with your stay. Even taking a kayak out on the lake costs extra. Same for moose cruise, seaplanes, Jeep Tours, etc. Even though we booked a rafting trip through them, we had to drive close to two hours to the meet up place. We were told by employees at the Birches that it would only take an hour, but were not warned of the 30 miles of gravel roads we'd need to travel on, damaging our car and making us late. Luckily, we did not miss our rafting trip.

Some of the pros were the very friendly staff, being able to see all the stars at night, the peace and quiet, and being able to sit by a fire with a great view of the beautiful Moosehead Lake.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank divinesaidshe
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Stayed at the birches many times over the past 15 years. Have always enjoyed the superb location.
What ever the season you will not be dissapointed by the location.
Especially fantastic in the depths of Winter- Wood burning stoves to keep you warm whilst the icicles hang ceiling to floor off the roofs.
Cross country ski locally or ski at Squaw mountain nearby.
Always enjoy the open air jacuzzi in after dusting the snow from the cover!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fordwater
Reviewed August 16, 2008

We only had 1 night to spend and glad we picked The Birches. The cabins are rustic but adequate. The location so close to the Lake is what makes it. Unfortunatly it rained the whole time we were there. Our 1 1/2 year old son could feed the ducks right from the porch and we could here the loons as we laid in bed. Since it was cold and raining we we able to use the wood stove which was supplied by the staff with wood. They have a main lodge with a great fireplace, dining room and bar. The outside hottub and sauna which we did not get to use looked inviting. We sat by the fire at night, had a drink and played a game of cribbage. The one drawback was they lost water pressure in the AM so we were not able to take a shower and there was not any coffee at Breakfast. The food was very good however and we did get to see a Very Large Moose. We look forward to coming back for more than 1 night and some sunny weather.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank tfssnow
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I stayed here with a friend and my two adolescent sons for two nights during the last weekend of March 2008 when Moosehead Lake was still frozen and the snow still deep. It is a stunningly beautiful area and we loved it.
The Birches itself is a group of rustic timber cabins which, I suppose, are quite basic - but are so in keeping with the place that they are a delight (and this is said by somebody who prefers 5* hotels and doesn't like to rough it!). Some of the cabins date back several decades apparently - but they do have water (including very hot water even if the shower was slightly temperamental!) and electricity - and an absolutely fabulous wood burning stove that meant that we were warm as toast throughout our stay. When we went out during the day the staff in the resort popped into the cabin to stoke up the fire so that it was cosy on our return. Wooden logs and kindling were stacked outside for our use and topped up frequently. The beds were surprisingly comfortable.
So - with all the snow around we hired snowmobiles - which was great fun until we got them stuck in soft snow in the wilds. Least said the better about that aspect - other than to say that the owners/staff were extremely kind and forgiving - but we still feel very, very foolish. Next time - and yes, there will be a next time - we will stick to the well groomed trails and the lake.
In the centre of the resort there is a bar/restaurant area - again in a timber cabin with a roaring fire and fantastic view over the lake. The food was delicious but the portions so huge that I only managed to eat a quarter of my steak. There are also cooking faciilities in the cabins and a mixed assortment of crockery and pans. There is a very small store in the nearest village and a larger store about 20 minutes drive away in Greenville.
Also in the centre of the resort was the hot tub and sauna - and there is nothing quite like sitting in a hot tub, under the stars, watching snow gently falling. My sons were brave enough to do the rolling around semi-naked in the snow bit before hopping back into the hot tub. I was more sensible.
I am looking forward so much to returning some day. I'm guessing the Summer experience is quite different to the Winter one - but given the location - that too must be a brilliant experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Yblodyntatws
Reviewed December 10, 2006

We have been going to the Birches for 12 years and love it more each time. The accommodations are rustic housekeeping log cabins on beautiful Moosehead Lake. The dining room is beautiful, with a stone fireplace and magnificent views of the lake and nearby Mt. Kineo. Activities at the Birches include sailing, canoeing, fishing, swimming, white water rafting, hiking, and flying excursions. The staff make us feel like family.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled as a couple
6  Thank trailergypsy
A TripAdvisor Member
Pickerington, OH
Reviewed June 28, 2005

Just returned from the Birches. Spent 2 nights here then the rest of the week on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. MUCH preferred the Birches cabin (# 12) to our timeshare in Weirs' Beach, NH. The weather was beautiful, the setting was amazing, and there was lots to do.

Check in went smoothly, and many options for tours, etc. are available. We chose to do things on our own to save some money, and because we prefer not to do things in groups.

We were here over Fathers' Day weekend, and my husband had a great time relaxing, starting camp fires, and fishing.

The sunrise over the lake was very early, but beautiful. I enjoyed it sitting in our Adirondak (sp?) chair with my cup of coffee just out front of our cabin.

Our cabin was nice (my husband and son, age 12 loved it). However, the floor was very uneven from settling and most doors did not close. Signs on cabinet and room doors warned they were to remain open to prevent freezing pipes, so this may not be real comfortable in colder weather. Our cabin had a very nice and huge fireplace. The kids had a loft upstairs which they thought was cool. The cabins are definitely rustic, but I only saw one spider in the room while we were there. Dishes could stand to be upgraded, however.

The last morning we were there, my daughter (age 13) and I took a ride in the float plane - piloted by The Birches' owner, John (30 minute ride for $40 each). It was amazingly beautiful, and he provided a nice tour for us.

My daughter & I also rented bikes there. We were disappointed because the brochures they sent said bikes were the best way to see wildlife up close, and once we rented the bikes and went to the main office for the promised maps (just after my husband and son took off with the car), we were told no one there really knew where to tell us to go. We ended up riding around the access roads, and did have a good time together, but it was not what we expected.

The resort has a restaurant, but we did not eat there, so I cannot comment on their food. There is a small general store about 2 miles away, so we bought our food and cooked in the rooms.

We have stayed in everything from luxury 5-star all inclusives to bamboo huts in the Amazon. The accommodations were certainly not 5 star, but the lake and the area are beautiful and the rooms were clean. We would definitely consider going back.

• Stayed: June 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockwood
Gray Ghost Camps
Greenville Inn at Moosehead Lake
Lake Parlin Lodge & Cabins
Lake Parlin Lodge & Cabins
#1 of 1 in Parlin Pond

Been to The Birches Resort? Share your experiences!