“"The Resort I Fell in Love With"”
Review of The Birches Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rockwood
The Birches Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rockwood
Ossipee, New Hampshire
“"The Resort I Fell in Love With"”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Being the proud pilot of a Cessna floatplane, it had always been a goal of mine to spend an "end of summer" weekend at the International Seaplane Fly-Inn, held annually in Greenville, Maine. My wife, who cursed my flying our entire marriage, but rejoiced at the notion of a peaceful weekend in the beautiful state she was born in, reluctantly agreed that this year we should follow my dream. We found The Birches Resort in Rockwood, Maine and instantly fell in as much love as two people can be with a resort. My heart was more so overjoyed to learn that the quaint, cozy lakeside spot came with a convent marina where floatplanes such as mine were not only allowed, but greatly encouraged. My wife was ecstatic at the sight of the rustic log cabin overlooking the water where we were to stay. To this day, the musk of campfire smoke and the majestical view of the sunset on the calm lake tickle my sense in a manner which assure me we will be back soon to recreate that magical weekend....or perhaps week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hallowell, Maine
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Birches was THE PERFECT place for us to have our wedding! We chose to get married at the Birches because we love the Moosehead Lake region. We got married right on the dock and John (the owner) flew us in by float plane. All our guests were able to stay right at the resort, which led to a great wedding weekend getaway for all friends and family coming from outside of Maine. The staff was accommodating (made the food that we wanted, we even supplied some recipes) and friendly! The Birches is a beautiful, surreal resort and welcomed us, a lesbian couple, without reservation. Thank you so much to John, Marsha, Kathy, Karen, Paul and all the other staff that helped make our wedding perfect!
-Jane and Leslie Pernig

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie L
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I loved our stay here. We drove up from Boston and stayed for 2 nights in August. The weather was beautiful and the lake was so clean and refreshing. Took advantage of the kayaks and went on a small hike across the lake. The cabins were great-- not too rustic and were comfortable and clean. We took advantage of the bon fire area outside our cabin and our fireplace inside each night because the temp got down to a cool enough temperature. The restaurant/bar were great and we thought the food was very nicely prepared. All around a very relaxing stay and we can't wait to go back and experience the winter there

Room Tip: Some of the cabins have a wood burning stove instead of a stone fireplace... so ask which ones have...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jlynn1110
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was my second visit to the Birches. The first time we stayed in the hotel, which was great, and this time we stayed a night in one of the cabins with a lake view. Staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating. Facilities were clean and well maintained. We dined at the restaurant and were impressed by the quality of the food. Overall, would recommend the Birches to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rozzie478
Canton Center, Connecticut
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We spent just one night in cabin #2 on the lake in July along with my wife's sister and husband. The cabins are very rustic and our bed was quite lumpy, but it was so picture beautiful, we didn't mind. I wouldn't want to have stayed longer with the bed however. Took a moose cruise but didn't see any moose nor much wildlife at all - very disappointing. Did not use the lodge hot tub.
The wood carved chairs and barstools in the lodge were quite impressive.
Food was OK but not impressive (I had the rib-eye). Wish we had been there for prime rib night to try that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rkw321
Perth
Reviewed September 20, 2013

After travelling for 2 months through Europe and the whole East Coast of the USA, we needed to slow down and rest with no "places to be and things to do". We chose Rockford on Moosehead Lake and it was a blessing. Not only was it quiet, beautiful and unspoilt, it was envigorating. After just 3 nights we left refreshed and ready to tackle our last month of travel.
The Birches is exactly as the photos show. Basic log cabins on the water. In fact we had The Honeymoon Cabin which was perfect - further away from the Main Lodge and with its own deck right on the water, with its ducks visiting daily. The plumbing etc is rather home handyman style but it works.
Meals were very convenient at the lodge and they were good. Not great but good. Don't let them overcook your beef steak.
Really you should stay a week to enjoy the boat ride (to see moose and bald eagles, like we did), Mt Kineo walk and golf etc.

Room Tip: Cabin XX, The Honeymoon Cabin, is wonderful. Other reviews have spoken of the problem with noise fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Love_Bali_Ubud
Rye Beach, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had stayed and enjoyed all aspects of the Birches twice before my last visit. Once for a week with friends and once with my family during the Annual Greenville Fly In. So, this year I rented a nearby camp with friends who had never been to the area. I made a reservation for dinner one evening.
The food was terrible!!!! Cold and inedible for the most part. The fish was cold and like rubber. The ribs were cold and overpriced. Vegetables and rice cold. Even the water tasted bad. If not for respect for my recommendation to eat there, my friends would have sent their dinners back.
I saw that the property is for sale in my DownEast magazine. Perhaps that is the problem.
In any case, I felt bad that my friends spent their money on a lousy meal. I will not return anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mmfave
john w, Owner at The Birches Resort, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Our chefs would always respond to guest issues whe dining if the guest would send back food if not satisfied.

We serve hundreds of people each year and have very few issues such as this one.

Deciding to sell a business has nothing to do with good management and frankly the complaint sounds a little over done.

We always try to please our guests and there are many very happy ones.

I suggest this person get in touch with me directly at The Birches

John Willard
Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockwood
Lodge at Moosehead Lake
#1 of 1 in Parlin Pond
Maynard's-in-Maine
Maynard's-in-Maine
#1 of 2 in Rockwood

Been to The Birches Resort? Share your experiences!