“No Indian Trail for me”
Review of Mount Kineo

Mount Kineo
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Rockwood
More attraction details
Owner description: A tip of a small peninsula rising almost 800 feet and located on the eastern side of Moosehead Lake.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our party included two 60 yr olds, two 30 somethings, a 7 year old and a 2 year old. We took the boat ferry across. Beautiful day. We took the Indian trail up and the Bridal trail down. If you are not a seasoned hiker you should not attempt the Indian trail. It has a very steep incline and at times I was on all fours just trying to stay on the mountain. I have hiked 2-3 times before. This trail was hard. I will never attempt this again. It was not fun. The views were incredible. The Bridal trail coming down was much better - however it was very muddy and slippery. A much easier trail but not easy. Took us about 3.5 hours to complete the climb. We called it a Family Teambuilding Exercise. A successful day but not an easy climb.

7  Thank Glynis407

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We found this great little 9=hole golf course at Mount Kineo almost by accident and I am so glad that we did. The views are spectacular, it's hard to even concentrate on your golf game while you're there because the surroundings are so stunning. I really hope to get back there again soon!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Bring your day pack, a picnic lunch, drinking water and grab the shuttle boat from Rockwood. It goes from 10 am till about 6pm most days, about 15 minutes each way. The lake is gorgeous, little to no boat traffic, and the mountain views are beautiful from all directions.If you are in decent physical shape, hike the Indian Trail to the top of Mt. Kineo. It is steep in sections, but very doable with good footwear (not flip-flops) and a bit of effort. Take breaks at the many lookouts over the lake. It takes about two hour round trip to do the hike. there is another trail that is easier, but longer, its called the Bridal Path. I did not use it, so can not comment. My wife hikes but does not necessarily climb, and she did just fine, just take your time, and be careful, as there are some very steep rock scrambles. I would not take very young children on the Indian Trail, because of the steep drop offs. Take your time, and enjoy, no need to rush, as the shuttle always comes back to bring you to the mainland.

4  Thank ben795
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our party of 5 split up and did two different trails. The bridle path - described as easy - was pretty strenuous for 2 over 60 year olds, but we made it to the top. Lots of scrambling over rocks and roots and grabbing branches. It had rained the night before and there was a stream taking up much of the narrow trail most of the way up. We passed someone who was turning back - angry that she had been misled that the trail was easy. The other, shorter trail, was quite strenuous, lots of rock climbing, but had great views, according to the three 20ish year olds.

4  Thank jdltwiga
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We love to play the 9 hole golf course here. The views are so beautiful. The folks are always friendly. Getting to Kineo by way of the ferry is a fun experience too!