Review Highlights
Kids Rated Indian Trail & Firetower a 10!

Excellent hike! Late one gorgeous fall afternoon, we borrowed a boat from The Birches & raced for... read more

Reviewed October 3, 2018
Jenifer R
Pella, United States
via mobile
Boat Ride then Hike to a View!

A quick $12 (round trip price) shuttle boat ride will take you to Kineo. You get beautiful views of... read more

Reviewed September 5, 2018
HarleysMa
Dawsonville, Georgia

All reviews indian trail pebble beach fire tower great hike moosehead lake boat ride the cliff awesome views pack a lunch hiking trails observation tower north trail golden retriever easy hike surrounding mountains snack bar moderate hike
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I wanted to climb Mt. Kineo while we stayed in the area for a week. We tried to set out early to beat the heat. The ferry comes on the hour and we made the 10 am ferry. The cost was $10 round trip and we paid the captain as we boarded. Nothing more than a pontoon boat with a canvas, the captain (along with his faithful golden retriever Dan) got us over to the "island" quickly and easily. Once we got over, we went right to the trail. There was a box at the start of the trail for you to put your day use fee in (I think it was $3 non residents). Our group of 4 ascended via the Indian Trail and took the Bridle Trail down. A fire tower at the summit afforded spectacular views in all directions. It was also windy and cool at the top of the fire tower, which was a nice relief from the heat. We were able to make it back to the ferry dock right before the 1pm ferry headed back over the the mainland.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We enjoyed the ferry ride over to Mount Kineo. It's a people ferry (no cars). The island is quite pretty. We did some hiking, but unfortunately didn't make it to the top since heavy rains created a lot of mud. We would go back. There is also a golf club on the island. It makes for a nice outing.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I would suggest a trip to see Mount Kineo. The mountain sits in the middle of Moosehead Lake. There is a golf course, snack bar, hiking trails, and, of course, pebble beach. If you are looking for a fun family time, I suggest boating to Kineo. The children will love playing on the beach. If you want to visit in the winter the mountain is accessible by snowmobile. It is a clean pristine area and extremely enjoyable.

1  Thank Karen S
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I rented a 2 bedroom cottage for a week last August and had one of the most spectacular vacations of our lives. Isolation from the outside world. Mt. Kineo is essentially an island in the middle of Moosehead Lake (it's actually a peninsula, but the only stretch of land connecting it with any part of the mainland is only accessible by foot in good weather conditions. No TV, and limited access to internet. We spent the week kayaking, playing golf on the golf course that is over 100 years old, swimming, and hiking Mount Kineo. The view from the top of the fire tower is amazing and worth the semi-strenuous hike up the Indian Trail at Mt. Kineo State Park. You can see all the way to Quebec. Caution, the hike can be slippery after a rain. My wife and I got caught in a pretty intense rain shower on the way down, and had to exercise much caution during the rock scramble portions.

The closest town is Rockwood, and only accessible by boat. One day I kayaked across the lake from Mt. Kineo and docked my kayak at the Rockwood dock while I traveled by car to another hiking spot. There is a private parking lot for Mt. Kineo residents to leave their cars at the dock, as well as a public lot for people making day trips to hike the mountain. If you decide to kayak across, you can leave your kayak on the small pebble beach to the right of the boat dock. Everyone is REALLY friendly in town, so your kayak should be fine if you decide to leave it for a prolonged period of time (I left mine for almost three hours, and it was fine). There is private property right next to the pebble docking beach, however, so just make sure you are not trespassing when docking or walking up to the parking area. It only took me about 35-40 minutes to kayak across, but I am pretty fit, so give yourself an hour each way. Make sure you take a life jacket as the lake can occasionally be windy and choppy. A local whom I hung out with all week told me that his best friend drowned when he was kayaking on the lake and overturned without a life jacket when a storm rolled in:( As my wife and I found out while hiking the mountain, the storms roll in pretty quickly.

If you are only visiting Mt. Kineo State park to hike for the day, take the ferry from the dock in Rockwood that drops you off at the entrance to the State Park which is located on the 7th hole of the golf course. If I recall, it costs $10 for a round trip. There is a general store up the road from the Rockwood dock if you need to buy some snacks or liquids (they make great sandwiches too), or hikers are welcome at the golf course clubhouse where they have the usual golf course fare- hot dogs, hamburgers, snacks, etc.- as well as a large flat screen TV and free wi-fi. I believe the last ferry to the mainland leaves before 6pm, even in the summer, so plan accordingly! This is a truly wonderful place to spend a vacation in New England.

6  Thank tslims99
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The scramble up Mount Kineo is a work out but the view of the lake and the Maine woods from the top is really worth all the huffing and puffing. The most striking thing about the whole experience is the low key friendliness of the ferry driver, the bar tender at the golf club house, and everyone else you meet in this very quiet and beautiful place. An added bonus--we finished our hike and a cold beer at the clubhouse a little early and filled the time with a swim in the lake--it felt great.