“Beautiful Clean and Crisp”
Review of Mount Kineo

Mount Kineo
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Rockwood
More attraction details
Owner description: A tip of a small peninsula rising almost 800 feet and located on the eastern side of Moosehead Lake.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I would suggest a trip to see Mount Kineo. The mountain sits in the middle of Moosehead Lake. There is a golf course, snack bar, hiking trails, and, of course, pebble beach. If you are looking for a fun family time, I suggest boating to Kineo. The children will love playing on the beach. If you want to visit in the winter the mountain is accessible by snowmobile. It is a clean pristine area and extremely enjoyable.

1  Thank Karen S

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I rented a 2 bedroom cottage for a week last August and had one of the most spectacular vacations of our lives. Isolation from the outside world. Mt. Kineo is essentially an island in the middle of Moosehead Lake (it's actually a peninsula, but the only stretch of land connecting it with any part of the mainland is only accessible by foot in good weather conditions. No TV, and limited access to internet. We spent the week kayaking, playing golf on the golf course that is over 100 years old, swimming, and hiking Mount Kineo. The view from the top of the fire tower is amazing and worth the semi-strenuous hike up the Indian Trail at Mt. Kineo State Park. You can see all the way to Quebec. Caution, the hike can be slippery after a rain. My wife and I got caught in a pretty intense rain shower on the way down, and had to exercise much caution during the rock scramble portions.

The closest town is Rockwood, and only accessible by boat. One day I kayaked across the lake from Mt. Kineo and docked my kayak at the Rockwood dock while I traveled by car to another hiking spot. There is a private parking lot for Mt. Kineo residents to leave their cars at the dock, as well as a public lot for people making day trips to hike the mountain. If you decide to kayak across, you can leave your kayak on the small pebble beach to the right of the boat dock. Everyone is REALLY friendly in town, so your kayak should be fine if you decide to leave it for a prolonged period of time (I left mine for almost three hours, and it was fine). There is private property right next to the pebble docking beach, however, so just make sure you are not trespassing when docking or walking up to the parking area. It only took me about 35-40 minutes to kayak across, but I am pretty fit, so give yourself an hour each way. Make sure you take a life jacket as the lake can occasionally be windy and choppy. A local whom I hung out with all week told me that his best friend drowned when he was kayaking on the lake and overturned without a life jacket when a storm rolled in:( As my wife and I found out while hiking the mountain, the storms roll in pretty quickly.

If you are only visiting Mt. Kineo State park to hike for the day, take the ferry from the dock in Rockwood that drops you off at the entrance to the State Park which is located on the 7th hole of the golf course. If I recall, it costs $10 for a round trip. There is a general store up the road from the Rockwood dock if you need to buy some snacks or liquids (they make great sandwiches too), or hikers are welcome at the golf course clubhouse where they have the usual golf course fare- hot dogs, hamburgers, snacks, etc.- as well as a large flat screen TV and free wi-fi. I believe the last ferry to the mainland leaves before 6pm, even in the summer, so plan accordingly! This is a truly wonderful place to spend a vacation in New England.

6  Thank tslims99
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The scramble up Mount Kineo is a work out but the view of the lake and the Maine woods from the top is really worth all the huffing and puffing. The most striking thing about the whole experience is the low key friendliness of the ferry driver, the bar tender at the golf club house, and everyone else you meet in this very quiet and beautiful place. An added bonus--we finished our hike and a cold beer at the clubhouse a little early and filled the time with a swim in the lake--it felt great.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Indian trail was a challenging hike but you are rewarding with wonderful views. You can climb the fire tower for even better views. there is golf course there too.

1  Thank Don B
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My family and I visited the Moosehead Lake area in Greenville in Summer 2011. We hadn't planned on anything specific and just found our way to Mt. Kineo. A short ferry ride brings one to this island. There is a golf course there and a small place to buy snack/coffee/water etc along with a restroom.

We took a short walk along the rim of the island and then decided to take the simpler hike up to the top since we had a 3 year old with us. But soon our 7-year old insisted that we take the more difficult Indian Trail and we glad that we did. The views were super and the hike while tough with a toddler wasn't too difficult. The kids thoroughly enjoyed it. We had some snacks with us and powerbars that came in handy at the top. The 360 degree view from the top of the fire tower were awesome. The lake and the surrounding forests looked spectacular. We used the easier trail coming down and that is when we realized that the views aren't that great on that trail.

This hike is highly recommended if you are in the vicinity of the lake.

3  Thank agaurav