“Dog House”

Starlight Lodge at Seven Mountains
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed November 13, 2009

When I collected my key for my accomodation and opened the door, I could not believe stench of dogs, it was absolutely disgusting, I could not take my clothes off and and sleep under the beddings, it was so awful, the foul smell was so overpowering. Unfortunately, the free muffins could not make up for the disgusting room. After two days I had to book into the Raddison hotel near Boston to relax and recover before returning home.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business

Reviewed November 4, 2009

Loved the owners , when we got back to Denver Co, bought some blueberry muffins. Joyce's are better

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TassyDenver
Reviewed March 23, 2008

The first time we stayed here was October 2006, picked the motel because of location as we were visiting family in Rockland and Camden. We were greeted by the friendliest host and hostess. Not only was our room exceptionally clean, but included in the price was morning coffee and homemade muffins and banana bread. All this enjoyed in the company of our host and hostess as well as other guest coming and going. Very informal and felt so at home. Came back Oct. 2007 with two other couples who enjoyed this gem of a place as much as we did. Can't wait to return this October.

Joan & Fred Leblanc
Nova Scotia
Canada

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank globetrotter1953
Reviewed September 21, 2007

We just returned from a week and a half in Maine, and spent 6 nights in this motel. While the single room we had was a bit small, it was impeccably clean and well maintained... not to mention the owners gave us a GREAT weekly rate. It's located just minutes from Rockland and Camden. Very nicely located for central midcoast wanderings.

Every morning we went and had coffee and muffins with the owners, and we felt so welcome that it was like sitting around at my grandparents home. I was very sad to leave.

It was late in the season yet the heated pool was still open til 10 for those few of us staying there.

The motel is 100% non smoking and no pets are allowed. This is a great little place to stay while in Maine.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sunrunner68
Reviewed August 18, 2007

On August 11, I called the Seven Mountains in at 3:00 in the afternoon to reserve a room for that night. It's nearly impossible to find a room in Maine on a weekend during the summer, so I was thrilled to hear that one room was available at such late notice.

I told the owner that I was driving up from New York and would arrive at about 11:30. I asked if that was all right, and he said yes. He took my name, and before I got off the phone I said once more, "you'll make a note of the fact that I'm arriving late, right?" And he said he would.

I got in my car and drove 400 miles to Maine. I arrived at the Seven Mountains ahead of schedule, at about 11:00, and went to the office to check in. Strangely, all the lights were off, so I called the hotel's phone number. It was 11:05.

A sleepy woman answered and told me that the office was closed. I replied that I needed to check in. She put me on hold for several minutes and the man I'd spoken to earlier in the day got on the phone. "We don't have any rooms," he said.

"I have a reseveration," I said. "I talked to you earlier today. I just need to check in now."

"We don't have any rooms," he said. "I'm sorry. You should have called to say that you were going to be late."

"But I talked to you earlier today. I told you that I'd be arriving at 11:30"

"Sorry, we close at 10:00."

"But I have a reservation! I told you that I'd be arriving at 11:30 and I'm actually early."

"Sorry, but I've been burned too many times in the past."

"Then why did you take my reservation?"

"Sorry, I don't have any rooms available."

This went on for for five or ten minutes. I was absolutely amazed. The owner didn't deny that he'd spoken to me, but just kept telling me that he just didn't have any rooms available. And that was that. I asked what I was I supposed to do. "Can't help you," he said. "I'm sorry."

As I said earlier, it's very, very hard to find a hotel in Maine on a summer weekend. I finally drove out of the Seven Mountains parking lot. It took me three hours and 100 miles of driving to find a room, past motel after motel with red "NO VACANCY signs" up and down the highway. I actually considered sleeping in my car in a parking lot before finally, at 2:00 in the morning, finding a room at the Rocky Ridge Motel...which is a complete dive but had a clean bed, which was all I cared about by then.

I've traveled around the world and stayed in hotels and motels and inns from Delhi to Dallas. This was the single most infuriating and unprofessional experience I've ever had.

Stayed: August 2007
13  Thank GlobalistNewYork
Reviewed July 25, 2007

We have just returned from a Maine vacation. We stayed at the 7 Mountains Motel in Rockport, Maine. The host and hostess were friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed the fresh brewed coffee and homemade blueberry muffins and banana bread every morning. The room was cleaner than any of the other motels that we had stayed in on our way to and from Maine and the maid provided us with fresh towels and toiletries every day during our stay. It was a wonderful welcome for all of us who had not expected such gracious service the entire visit in Maine. I highly recommend a stay there as the host and hostess are very friendly and the rooms are clean. There is a swimming pool there and lounge chairs we enjoyed which was opened from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. for anyone who enjoys a morning swim or an evening swim or just to relax by the pool as well. It was awesome !!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Vacationer64
Reviewed June 14, 2007

Nestled between Rockland and Camden on Route 1 in Rockport, Maine, 7 Mountains Motel is an impecably clean little (14 rooms) motel.

The owners, Joyce and Norman Braley, are friendly and Joyce serves the best home made blueberry muffine, coffee cake, and banana bread I have ever tasted. The best part is that the coffee and muffins are complimentary.

This motel should be listed on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravelerSue42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Schooner Bay Motor Inn
#4 of 10 in Rockport
The Towne Motel
The Towne Motel
#6 of 10 in Camden

Been to Starlight Lodge at Seven Mountains? Share your experiences!