“Clean. Reasonable Rates. Good Location. What else do you want?”

The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Boston
“Clean. Reasonable Rates. Good Location. What else do you want?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2009

I blindly trusted a link on the Camden International Film Festival web page and they didn't steer me wrong. The whole Camden area can get shockingly expensive. Like Manhattan expensive if you are in foliage season and you try to get too fancy.

The rooms are pretty spacious and clean. And there's a big fridge.

The remote control for my TV lost its back panel and was shoddily held together with scotch tape, causing me some inconvenience while switching channels (I had to press the batteries in with my thumb, causing some minor discomfort). But you know what? The rest of the place was so nice, I'm not going to hold a grudge over the remote.

Location is decent. A five minute drive from downtown. Straight shot.

I'd stay here again without question.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
westchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed at the Country Inn for almost a week when one of us studied at the Maine Media Workshop. The room was large and comfortable, everything was clean, the staff was pleasant. Everything was fine. We did not use the pool, but saw a lot of people enjoying themselves in it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Brewer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

I needed to get away for a few days by myself. I'd just been through a long, drawn-out divorce and also a disability hearing. I needed to go somewhere where I could find complete solitude and fully allow myself to relax. I found it here.

I signed up for the Relaxation Package which included Room #50 and two 1-hour massages. I think this package is usually meant for two, but that didn't stop me from getting a 2-hour massage!!

When I arrived, I couldn't believe the room I was in...I should say "rooms". It was spotless and the staff I interacted with were wonderful! I didn't get "lost" finding the inn as it was right on scenic Route 1.

The main room was HUGE with a beautiful hand-made quilt on the bed, nice closet (with iron and ironing board), and a private little patio out back with chairs to sit on. There were two ceiling fans, hardwood floors with an Oriental rug, and very nicely put knickknacks and decorations throughout. The kitchen area had a fridge, microwave, and a 4-cup coffee maker (also two mugs, with enough coffee for 8 cups, plenty of creamer, assorted sugar and sugar substitutes and stirrers). There were two chairs facing the television with dvd/vcr combo. The bathroom was generously-sized, and it included a lit-up jacuzzi for two. It also had a blow dryer so that was one less thing I had to pack. There was a shower cap, conditioning shampoo, and wonderfully scented hand and bath soaps. Also, there were bath salts for the jacuzzi! I decided to try it instead of what I had brought with me and LOVED it!

The Relaxation Package also includes a welcome basket. I'm not sure if all the welcome baskets are the same, but they got mine PERFECT for what I needed! It included a bottle of chilled blueberry wine, crackers, cheese and grapes. That helped me to relax! :-)

If you are at the place at the right time, they also have yoga classes. They didn't have any yoga classes going on while I was there, but I brought my yoga DVD and I was happy with that.

The next morning, I had my two-hour massage with Tracy. Her massage room was right next to my room so that was convenient! She was wonderful! I filled out a short medical form so she understood what the focus of the visit was and I hadn't been that relaxed in a LONG time. She even gave me a hug before I left. What a nice gal!

Because I was seeking solitude, I didn't partake in the fitness room, the pool or even the continental breakfast or afternoon tea (which I heard each was fabulous). There is also a beautifully done miniature golf course on the grounds.

I am not sure where my new life is headed, but I hope it leads me back to The Country Inn in Camden again next year. Maybe next time, I'll be able to partake in what I didn't check out this time around. I highly recommend this place. Absolutely AMAZING!

Normally, I don't spend this much on myself, but I have no regrets. It was fully worth every penny, and I would do it again. The price of the room without the package I took actually was about average compared to the other area hotels/inns I looked into in the area; however, after staying here, I bet the others can't compare.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

We arrived at the country inn at about 10pm on a Friday evening.The office was just about to close when we checked in.My family of four and our lab rented a double queen cottage.The cottages were away from the main hotel and parking was close to the cottages.I should add we chose this inn because its pet friendly.Our lab was happy to have food and water dishes and a dog bed all ready for her when we arrived.The main room consisted of a large room with a table,two chairs and a twin day bed/trundle.There was a small alcove with a sink and closet space separate from the bathroom.There was a small counter/sink with microwave and sink in the main room.The bedroom contained two queen beds,a chair with a dresser and TV.There was also slider that went out to a small deck with two chairs and a table.
This would have been a very comfortable set up for a family if not for one very big issue.We arrived to beds with dirty sheets!Full of human and what looked like dog hairs were on the sheets in both queen beds.Because the office was closed we had no choice but to sleep on top of the beds.Now,for 180$ a night,I certainly expect clean sheets!The place could have used a good dusting,the floors needed to be washed and there was mildew in the corner of the bathroom floor.I did call the front desk in the morning and the housekeepers did change all of the sheets at my request.
I would probably not return to the country inn because of the reasons listed but I loved the Camden/Rockport area and would highly recommend a visit to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank MargaretL
billhahn, OWNER/GM at The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
Margaret is absolutely right that every guest deserves clean sheets and a well cleaned room, in my view no matter what the rate; to this end we are reviewing cleaning and inspection procedures to be sure a similar event does not occur in future.

We are organized to be able to provide guest assistance at any hour even though the front desk closes at 10p.m.; Margaret made her reservation on line, and so that was not communicated properly. As a result of her review we have revised guest communication practices to eliminate problems in future.

While I am distressed that a guest's stay was less than perfect, I am pleased that because TripAdvisor forwards the report, we have been made aware of what happened and can take steps to prevent future occurrences.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

We just got back to Louisville, KY from our stay at the Country Inn. I shared a cottage suite with my wife , son 19 & daughter 22.
We found the cottage comfortable for the four of us. It had a small microwave, small fridge, table & chairs and TWO TVS.
Each room had separate wall thermostats. My son & I enjoy a swin in the large indoor pool. The hot tub was HOT! We liked that.
The continental breakfast was as expected. Our only disappointment was very minor.........weak coffee. We walked next door to a gas station for morning coffee. The afternoon tea was an extra treat. Tea, lemonade, cheese and an assortment of cupcakes or brownies for two hours every afternoon.
We used the computer every afternoon to check email. Fresh cookies were placed near our bed each night . What a great idea!
Also the front desk staff were very helpful. My son needed homework faxed to the hotel. No problem!
My parents also stayed in a suite inside the inn while we were there. They also enjoyed the inn.

• Liked — Afternoon tea & cookies at night.
  • Disliked — Weak coffee
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank rppuckfan
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

During our stay at the Country Inn a convicted sex offender was able to gain access to the indoor pool and spa where he made contact with my teenager. This offender would have walked right past the front desk on entry. I contacted the owner (and the Rockport Police) to explain what had happened. He did not acknowledge my letter, let alone apologize. I would advise families to steer clear of the Country Inn.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank xtexnmass
billhahn, Owner/Manager at The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport, responded to this review, September 12, 2008
When this incident was reported in January, I immediately took steps,both in house and with the local police, to ensure that the individual in question would be barred from our property in future,. We take our guests' needs very seriously and make every effort to provide a safe and secure environment; to meet our goal of perfection in this regard requires the ongoing cooperation and assistance of all, management, staff, and our clients.
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

We were so excited about staying here after reading about the cookies, afternoon tea, continental breakfast and seeing how lovely the rooms looked on their website. I think the website offers an accurate description and depiction of the rooms, and the cookies and breakfast were wonderful!

My boys (10 and 12) loved this place and didn't want to leave. They loved how they had their own area. We had Cabin # 7 which had a little table and chairs, a trundle bed, TV and chair in the corner with a fridge and sink in one room. In the other room was a king-sized bed and the bath is off of this room. The only problem with this set up is that the kids needed to come through our area to use the bathroom. Not a big deal for us for the three nights we stayed there, but I would have preferred the bath be off their area. A few drawbacks were that we found three spiders our first night, and I have EXTREME arachnophobia. Yes, there are spiders in Maine - I've been staying in Vermont all my life during the summers, so I know this is something that can happen, but I really don't like finding them INSIDE. Once we got rid of them, I didn't see any others for the rest of our stay. But I was sort of freaked out the first night and had a bit of trouble falling asleep. The worst part is that the King-sized bed was HORRIBLE. My husband and I (he's 38 and I'm 44) were in so much pain the first two days, we nearly checked out early. But the boys loved it there, so we stuck it out. It was a very old mattress (at least it looked and felt it). If you look at the pics, even with my hubby laying on the side, you can still see how it dips in the middle. Also, they need better room-darkening shades. You can see in a few of my pics that they are just light blinds, and they let all the light in.

The cabin was very clean and in nice condition. The floor was tilted a bit, so when we pulled out the lower part of the trundle bed, it kept sliding towards the TV. The balcony was very nice. It just faces the main inn and the yard, but it's still nice to be able to go out and sit and read or just relax. We had our own little parking space right next to our cabin, which was nice, too. Each evening, they would bring warm chocolate chip cookies to your room. Nice touch.

We were in the cabin furthest from the main inn (which houses the indoor pool), but it was a nice little walk down a gravel pathway, and we didn't mind it at all. Of course, we had great weather, so that helps. The pool was really nice, and the boys loved it. Being there early in the season, they either had it to themselves or there was only one other family in there each time we were in there.

The continental breakfast was very nice. Not a huge selection, but the make your own waffles was a bit hit with our boys. Between the fruit, muffins, waffles and cereals, we were all set for the day. The afternoon tea was very nice, too, with goodies set out in the late afternoon.

The a/c was a bit loud, but nothing that kept me awake at night. I actually slept better with the a/c on, because having the windows open, even though you are set quite aways back from Rte. 1, the traffic can keep you awake if you are a light sleeper.

The TV's didn't have very clear reception. Not sure if it was like that for everyone. The people at the front desk were very nice and helpful, too. I did mention the bed issue, because it really was the only part of our stay that would make me hesitate to recommend this place to anyone else or make me not want to stay here again. They did physically write the info down, but follow-up is what will mean something. So if you are in Cabin #7, you may want to make sure they've updated the mattress.

• Liked — Cute cabins, nice pool
  • Disliked — The bed!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank doozer82
billhahn, Owner/manager at The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport, responded to this review, July 23, 2008
I would like to thank this guest for pointing out problem with their bed. We investigated and found that box spring supports had fallen out of place which resulted in deflection of the mattress and spring. It has been repaired.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
Island View Inn
Island View Inn
#5 of 10 in Rockport
Camden Riverhouse Hotel and Inns

Been to The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport? Share your experiences!