“Great Food, Nice View...Friendly Server”
Review of Salt Water Farm Cafe and Market - CLOSED

Salt Water Farm Cafe and Market
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Opened in April of 2013, Salt Water Farm Restaurant & Cafe in Rockport's stately Union Hall provides locals, tourists and sailors alike with fresh, local options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus a comfortable bar six days a week, with brunch on Sunday. The experience and creativity of the staff and the vision of owner Annemarie Ahearn translate to inspired farm-to-table versions of traditional dishes, like clams bagna cauda, and seasonal highlights such as wild mushroom gravy with biscuits or a vine-ripe tomato salad. If you live in Rockport, lucky you; if not, here's a reason to visit. (Source: Portland Press Herald - Sept. 20
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I cannot figure out the negative reviews because we loved the Salt Water Farm Cafe. We wandered in about 12:30 on a Wednesday afternoon, were greeted warmly and seated inside the cafe. A delightful young woman took our order and when I asked if they served lemonade she enthusiastically said their lemonade was one of her favorites! We had the crab melt and open faced chicken salad sandwich and they were both delicious. Also enjoyed some huge homemade cookies for dessert.

We watched with amusement as the woman at the next table ordered steamers and didn't know how to eat them. Their server patiently taught her how to pick each one and pull off the little "sweater" and dip it in butter. It was fun to watch. The building is a lovely old restored building overlooking the harbor. We would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

I went to this restaurant hoping for a farm to table experience. What I got was horrid service from a putrid host. He was not only rude but simply incompetent. He refused to take reservations when we called because he said "we are too busy" yet when we arrived for a walk in dining experience, the restaurant was nearly empty. He made us wait an excessive amount of time despite the clearly open tables. Food was actually pretty good though very over priced. I cannot restate enough: the host ruined the meal. Although it was very pricey for the experience.

1  Thank Midcoastmaine1101
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Enjoyed our lunch here. Staff was friendly and the food was delicious. Portions were a bit small considering the price but interesting flavor sand selections made up for this. All in all a lovely meal.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I realize it is summer but I started calling over the weekend. Called again mid-week and also emailed. It has now been 4 days with no call back. I have lived in midcoast Maine for a long time and know summer is busy. But a courtesy call back is in order if they want to maintain a consumer oriented business even if they have no reservation available. I since have called other restaurants who called back within a few hours.

4  Thank jpf11
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I had a really good cheeseburger at SWF. I was a little disappointed that they didn't ask me how I wanted it cooked as it was a little underdone for me. I was there first diner for dinner that night, maybe they were getting into the groove? And there really wasn't a side with it other than a small salad. I did have an excellent dessert, something chocolate but don't remember. Atmosphere was nice.