“Not consumer friendly” 2 of 5 bubbles

Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
“Not consumer friendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had reservations for one night recently and found it necessary to cancel because of a health issue. We were suppose to cancel 48 hours in advance. I understand the cancellation policy but were offered no refund amount of any kind. Reservations were for Sunday night and we had to cancel on Thursday. No refund or credit was offered. Also when booking a room consider that you are charged for the room upon booking instead of upon registering. We have stayed in many hotels and motels but never were charged for the room on our credit card until we arrived and registered. Just a warning for those who book this inn. We were very disappointed and will no longer consider a stay at this inn and wanted others to be aware of this unusual policy.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Gil H
florasuisuncity, Owner at Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Our cancellation policy is very clear and noted on our website and on all confirmation emails. Our cancellation policy is 72 hours prior to arrival day, not 48 hours as customer stated. Also, we do advertise that on all reservations we require a one night deposit, which is pretty much standard thoughout the industry these days. We state our cancellation policy clearly on the website, email confirmations, and on all phone reservations. We are sorry that the customer misunderstood or did not review the policy that they were provided.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Perrysburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed one night at the Strawberry Inn during our recent trip to Maine; we were very impressed with the accommodations and bay views! The staff we encountered was friendly, as well. The walls are quite thin so you can hear people in the rooms next to you, but this didn't keep us from sleeping very well while we were there. In the morning I got up to see the run rise; didn’t even have to leave the room, just sat on the balcony and watched it come up over the trees/ water which was fabulous. If we had visited during the summer the pool looked very nice, as did the hike out to the bay from the hotel.

Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

This motel was simply the perfect spot for my fall vacation! Close to Camden, local restaurants (Primo) and Mt. Battie. The rooms were very clean, well kept, and the views were outstanding. Quiet, well manicured grounds, great coffee in the am. As I was making these reservations for friends along with myself, I was a bit concerned that everything would be 'perfect'. It was!

Room Tip: They all overlook the cove, so how could you go wrong?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was by far the nicest place we stayed at during our 2 week road trip in New England. We were greeted by the amazing Halloween decorations on arrival! The rooms were of a good size and spotless and looked out across the bay. We took a walk around the grounds which were very well kept. The place we felt was a bit in no-mans land though with neither Rockland or Rockport close by, but with having a car this didn't really matter.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

After reading the reviews of this property, I called to see if we could get in for a couple of nights in early October. On line, it did not appear to be 2 nights available for us, but Violet made it happen. She also arranged a room for , us on the ground floor since my husband has difficulty with stairs. We were placed in a very accessible room with great views and sweet decor. My husband also has sensitivities to odors, such as mold, perfumed sprays, etc. We were sitting in the room the second night enjoying the view with the windows open, when I mentioned, " this room has absolutely NO odors". We have traveled the world and I cannot remember a room as clean as this was. I was very glad to stay here. The binoculars were such a surprise, the Halloween decorations were amazing, and I was patting myself on the back for choosing this property. I wish we could have stayed longer, but there was more of Maine to explore!

Room Tip: any room would be a great stay. We did hear the people above us occasionally moving around but they...
Furlong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Every room has a sea view over the lawn and a quiet cove! It is actually closer to Rockland than Rockport. Very homey decorations in the room, which was immaculately clean. Strawberry Hill is a smaller hotel so there aren't crowds. A mowed lawn stretches down to seats by the bay for use by guests. The only slight drawback is that sound travels a bit through the walls, an issue when the guest next door snores like a truck. If I get back Rockport this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: My room was on the middle of 3 levels, the same level as the office, and I liked that because it was...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank D J
Colorado Springs, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was just the place I was looking for - a small motel situated with a beautiful view of the bay. The building itself is set back a ways from the highway, and meticulous grounds lead down to the shoreline. Rooms are laid out as typical motel rooms but the décor is very well done and the beds are comfortable. My wife particularly liked the nautical-themed bedspreads. The bathroom was not spacious (perhaps that was the primary complaint of the reviewer who complained about the out-of-date bathroom) but it was nicely done and not old.

We were on the bottom floor so we were well away from the highway but I'm sure rooms on the other two floors do not have problems with highway noise. The hotel is set well back from the road and there is quite a bit of landscaping in place.

We had no problem with bugs (ants or beetles). It was probably too late in the season to worry about beetles. I can understand why they might be a problem in summer. If you sit outside in the evenings enjoying the beautiful view and leave the door open and the room lights on, bugs are likely to appreciate your hospitality. I also tend to believe the innkeeper who said the guest who complained about ants was lying. Our room was very clean and smelled fresh. I had absolutely zero indication of any kind of bug problem.

A lot of attention has been paid to room and grounds décor. Plenty of Maine décor in the rooms. Binoculars provided in each room is a nice touch. Lots of Halloween décor in front of the building and in the lobby to add to the festive holiday atmosphere. The room was freshly painted, furniture was nice. Windows open so we could enjoy the fresh Fall air. Grounds are meticulously kept. The pool area is nice but it was a bit late in the season for actually using the pool.

Restaurants are a short drive south in Rockland or a short drive north in Camden. There is nothing within walking distance of the motel.

A few disclaimers for those who want reasons to not like a place:
1. The lobby is quite small and the only refreshment served is morning coffee and tea.
2. The pool is outdoor and there is no hot tub.
3. This is a small place, so don't look for large resort amenities - no spa, exercise room, tennis court or golf course.
4. No breakfast and no afternoon or evening snacks.
5. The rooms are typical motel room size. There are no expansive sitting areas or fireplaces.
6. No on-site restaurant or lounge.

I don't mean any of those to be construed as negatives. Just make sure you know what you want when looking for a place to stay in the area. Frankly, there aren't many all-inclusive resorts in this area. If you want a small, quiet, clean, somewhat out-of-the-way motel that fully complements the natural beauty of the Maine coast, Strawberry Hill will be a very pleasant stay for you.

One final note - the elderly lady who manages the front desk in the evening is not exactly the epitome of graciousness and hospitality. I suspect some of the negative comments were generated by run-ins with her. As soon as I walked in and was "non-greeted" by her, I remembered some of the comments I had read. I thought to myself "uh-ho" but decided to take a strong positive approach to her and not be put off by her "why are you here" attitude. It worked and I had no problems. I tell you this under the philosophy that forewarned is forearmed. The rest of the staff was great.

Room Tip: All the rooms look out to the bay, so I don't think it matters which room you get. If you have c...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Island View Inn
#3 of 10 in Camden
250 Main Hotel
250 Main Hotel
#2 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn? Share your experiences!