“Hair of the dog...?”

The Market Basket
Ranked #13 of 25 Restaurants in Rockport
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 2, 2013

MB has some good stuff - breads are great, the soup's are good, some of the entrees are tasty, homemade chips are fun...BUT some of their sanitrary practices leave alot to be desired, like the giant hair that I got in a scone recently, good scone really, meaty, thick piece of hair. Also they leave the food on display on the counter tops well the flies really like that and I doubt that it stays the requeistie serving temp. to prevent bacteria - I got a day old sanwich one time and Montezuma had his revenge on me - so no more day old stuff that sat on the counter all day. Also, baked goods sit out as well, though temp. is not a problem, the flies landing on the items as well as the sniveling disgusting children touching everything, really is. I don't know why the MB employees are not required to wear hairnets or serving gloves (everything is bare handed and bare headed). Like I said some tasty stuff as long as you are willing to overlook hair and bacteria.

3  Thank ladycliff78

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have shopped here for many years even tho' the coffee is usually like the staff, on the cold and bitter side and often there is a nasty after- taste which tells me the caraffes are not being thoroughly washed daily. The pastries are OKAY but not really out of this world and are priced like we are in NYC, not Maine. No, they are far better and far less expensive in NYC.

The store is generally well-stocked with nice fare, which works well for a last minute dinner party HOWEVER the staff all seem like they don't give a damn about you, regardless of if you are a regular coming in daily and repeatedly spending $400.00 or more; it is as if they HATE their job. They absolutely NEVER welcome you nor do they thank you or acknowledge you.

Service is PAINFULLY PAINFULLY SLOW. Like, as in RIDICULOUSLY SLOW. Like, plan your baby labor a month ahead slow. You could have a heart and kidney transplant waiting for deli items and a cupcake. They won't even break a bead of sweat thinking you just may have someplace else to go in the next hour or two.

I have been going here for over 10 years, mostly because it is on my way to work and I get myself in the mindset to be ready for horrendous service and. I know that while I am waiting, I can catch up on my e.mails in the lineup for a cold coffee and an apricot square.

The browbeaten staff begrudgingly serve you and seemingly cannot wait for you to leave. It is not just me, it is everyone in every lineup People CONSTANTLY COMPLAIN, they walk out, shaking their heads, having had no idea it took so long to get a bagel or a a baquette; they frown and discuss it outside, they ponder,they question WHY they do not deserve as much as a friendly comment like you would get at a 7-11.

The staff at the Market Basket are just PLAIN RUDE and UNSKILLED, UNTRAINED and MISERABLE. WHAT IN THE WORLD is the owner of this business doing to make them so unhappy at their job creating, preparing and serving great food to eager customers ... while, she is making us, her customers feel like we are dogsh** on their shoes???? BTW, thank you to the great chefs and cooks in the kitchen who create the delicious entrees and pastries that keep us all coming back. FIRE THE BOSS!

The staff turnover is alarming in my opinion.

Thankfully, there are new places opening up in nearby Rockland and it is worth my while to go to a new place even if it is ten minutes further away. I like to start my day with a positive smile, not a scowl.

5  Thank Sonia545
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Bring an instant look of love and gratitude to the face of your friend, bring the chocolate nemesis cake from the MB. De-lish. I love the hummus, the croutons, the beer selection. yumm.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stopped in with a friend to grab something quick to take with us. I had turkey soup (yummy) and a 1/2 of a grilled cheese and she had a sandwhich and a bit of cucumber salad...salad was good, we each had a pastry treat...I got a fig bar (eh) and she got a muffin (eh)....This is a local place for me, and I used to frequent it quite often...just did not hold the same appeal for me this time. I will give it another chance...

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stumbled on this little gem and gave it a whirl. We had excellent sandwiches, one hot, one cold and soup. We shared a pastry for dessert that was the best sweet of our entire 10-day trip. We stocked up on some wine and other gourmet goodies. It would be nice if they had more comfortable dining chairs but clearly they do more take-out business than dine-in. I would put this on my itinerary again if I were in the area.

1  Thank ShowMeGirly