“Good food but we can't stand the music”
Review of Shepherd's Pie - CLOSED

Shepherd's Pie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Attractive and interesting menu and the food lived up to the descriptions. But don't go here unless you are willing to be bombarded by loud techno-pop music. Sorry, we won't be back

4  Thank CB-Brooks

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have a 2nd home in Owls Head and go to Shepherd's Pie at least 6-8 times a year. It has always been great. However this last time it was not up to its usual standard. The fish was overcooked and dry and the black beans and rice were inedible (two of us at the table ordered the beans and rice and barely touched it). They mixed the rice and beans together so it was just a bowl of mush - with no flavor. It had a little kick to it - which was good - but no flavor at all. The hamburger was probably the best thing ordered at our table. Another complaint was the bread that they charged $5 for. I don't mind paying for sides or appetizers or even some artisan breads - but four small triangles of white bread for $5 is out of line. This has been such a great restaurant since it opened and I hope the owner/chef isn't becoming too complacent and not paying attention to quality.

6  Thank Diane N
Reviewed July 5, 2014

There are creative blends of ingredients that keep your tastebuds constantly surprised and delighted. The Duck PB&J, for instance, and the pork steak, both had a lot going on and it was all good. If you're a beef lover, the rib eye in chimmichurra sauce is not to be missed. There were some puzzling choices in restaurant management; for example, the water is served at room temperature, though the servers were happy to bring us glasses of ice to add to it. Bread is not served unless you order it as an appetizer. We liked what they'd done with the interior of the old building, and had a table overlooking the harbor (there are only a couple of these), though a little extra light at the table would have been nice. It was pretty dim to try to read the menu, and I was guessing what to expect every time I put a bite of my entree in my mouth. The chicken wings were tasty, though for $12 we expected more of them. The first night we were there we got the fried goat cheese and beet appetizer. Even those of us who don't generally order goat cheese or beets thought it was delicious, and I never expected to deliberately eat cauliflower, but it turned out to be great. The chicken liver appetizer was fantastic - whipped and delicate, with several seasoning options. In fact, a better idea to order that for $7, since it comes with bread, than to spend $5 on grilled bread with butter. The pork steak was much spicier than I expected; the heat builds slowly, so the family that had sampled only one bite were surprised that halfway through I'd drank a lot of that so-so water. Turns out there are red pepper flakes and chile in the recipe, even though it's not mentioned on the menu. Love the flavor combo, though. Despite the small negatives, it was a really nice dining experience and we made reservations before we left to return later in the week.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was here several years ago and it was excellent then. It remains so now. They accommodated a walk in group of 12 people. Service was prompt and accommodating. Senate checks were no issue. Spiced nuts as an appetizer are a must have IMO. Fish and chips were great. If you anywhere near Rockport make the detour, you won't regret it. It also offers a great view of the .

1  Thank dchemist
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Minimalist decor aiming for the trendy ambiance. Waiter poorly informed as to selections; requiring frequent runs to the bar for information. Why is the wine served in water glasses?? Handling the tumbler by the base of glass warms the wine...do they not know that? Do they not know the definition of Caesar Salad?? My alewives caesar salad was a leaf of romaine beneath chopped iceberg lettuce,chopped cucumber and slivered radishes. When I called the waitstaff's attention to the one 1 x 1/8"piece of "alewife" (the 3 croutons were larger!) I was told the alewives were in the dressing. Hmm . DH's English style hake was accompanied by cold dilly fries...no lemon or other condiments. I did read reviews prior to "dining" here, but we were guest of family who raved about this place. IMHO, there are far better venues a few miles north or south with much better food/service/ambiance/views.

8  Thank SissyBiff2