“It was gorgeous!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Knoxville, Tennessee
“It was gorgeous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I just finished a 5 day stay at the Samoset Resort and I have to say it was just gorgeous! We luckily had beautiful weather and I know that helped but, the view from the pool and the breakfast patio was unbelievable. My family rated it a 10 out of 10. We had excellent service in all dining areas - from the buffet breakfast, to dinner in the main restaurant and lunch by the pool. The blueberry pie in the hotel restaurant was my favorite item of the entire week. It was made with almond flour and Maine blueberries. I don't even like blueberries from the grocery at home but, this was so tasty - I wish I had made time for another piece.

The spa is small but, the staff was quite gracious and I had a lovely massage. The recreation areas were all so very nice from the pool to the tennis courts and corn hole on the lawn. The golf course looked beautiful though, I am not a golfer and we did not have the experience. There is a darling lighthouse right on property that you can walk to and have an even more spectacular view.

There are 2 really cute, quaint towns within minutes of the resorts with plenty of waterside restaurants. We hiked in Camden, sailed out of Camden Harbor and rode bicycles in Vinalhaven.
I would recommend the area and the accommodations to everyone. It is not to be missed if you have the opportunity.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Laura W,

Our goal at the Samoset is to exceed your expectations so I was very pleased your family rated their five day stay with us as a “10 out of 10”. Thank you for kindly mentioning the service and delicious food in La Bella Vita, our gracious spa staff and your lovely massage, and the many recreational activities available at our resort. Sounds like you explored our area thoroughly during your visit, including Camden and Vinalhaven too. We hope you return for another visit with us.

Cornelius J. Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Galena, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

We only stayed one night, but the resort was beautiful, golf course looked amazing. We did not spend anytime at the pool, but it was crowded the afternoon we checked in. Fog and rain settled in that evening, and we checked out the next day.
Room was a king with a view, though not oceanfront we did have a nice little balcony, with a view of the golf course, and limited ocean view. Bed was comfortable, room had a mini fridge which was nice.
We had dinner at the restaurant, and take away was that it was expensive for italian. One of had veal parm, the other chicken piccata, neither were memorable. Service was good, view was nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear travelerSL,

Thank you for the compliments of our resort, golf course, and ocean views. I’m sorry to see that your visit was a short one and I hope you are able to return for a longer stay. I will be sure to share your comments concerning La Bella Vita with our Food & Beverage Director.

Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Helpful staff , we love all the kid included activities ! And a bellman named Adam was a nice guy and helped with the s'mores . The golf course was pretty and so were the sights . The room service was quick . The restaurant

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Jhump1234,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our popular family s’mores around the campfire while you were here as well as our golf course. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again for another visit.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Starting with it's glorious location and stunning lobby, ALL the way down the hall to my room, this place was amazing.

It was a long walk but there were little seating areas along the way to enjoy the view. Thankfully I found a carpark exit near my room and was able to get my things in without going all the way through the lobby again.

The grounds are spectacular, right on the water with a long causeway leading to a lighthouse, which was a popular sunset walk. There's also a golf course and swimming pool, all of which I had a view of from from my room.

My room was spacious and comfortable with a large sofa, coffee table, work desk and balcony.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

The bathroom was luxurious with marble walls, separate bathtub and superb shower with soft towels.

There was a fridge, Keurig coffee maker and an iPod dock.

The onsite parking was free as was the wifi.

Breakfast was not included with the room, but was available onsite.

My only regret is that I stayed only one night and wasn't able to partake of even some of what the resort holds.

I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Room 425 was quiet and had great views over the golf course, water and lighthouse.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear ThePackedBag,

Thank you for letting us and other TripAdvisor readers know about your wonderful experience at the Samoset. I agree the breakwater walk out to the lighthouse is a wonderful activity at sunset or any other time of day. I’m also glad to know your room accommodations were comfortable and luxurious, as we want them to be. Such a shame you came all the way from Australia just for one night with us. I hope you get to return for another, longer visit.

Beverly, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

If you want a spectacular view of the ocean then Samoset in Maine is the place to go. The hotel is set right on an award winning golf course overlooking the water. The breeze is never far away. The resort offers two restaurants and room service. The resort is kept immaculately clean. There is a beautiful outdoor pool and hot tub, as well as one indoor as well. There is enough to do so you never have to leave the resort. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. Whether you have young children, teenagers, or are an older couple, you will enjoy all that the Samoset has to offer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear fordhammom,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of the Samoset. It sounds as if you experienced many of our wonderful amenities during your visit, such as dining in La Bella Vita and Enoteca along with swimming at our beautiful outdoor pool overlooking Penobscot Bay. We hope you plan a return visit soon.

Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Samoset Resort is in a beautiful location with a fabulous golf course and a good facility. Though the resort was full during our stay it was very quiet and we seemed wonderfully alone at times. The golf course was beautiful and an enjoyable play. Several of the holes border the ocean and are great. The view from our room was spectacular and we could have spent our stay on the deck overlooking the ocean. My wife loved it. The restaurant and food at the resort was perhaps the weakest link. The live entertainment at the restaurant was tooooo loud and the food we at was mediocre at best. The good news is that that are many other great options in the area. We ate in Rockland, Rockport and Camden and every restaurant was excellent. The lighthouses in the area are good and the different bays and harbors are very Maine. One or two things at the hotel were surprises. When we checked in our hotel toilet did not work and our floors were really dirty, especially in the bath. Hotel staff quickly fixed and cleaned our room until things were satisfactory. We were also surprised to discover that dogs were allowed in this hotel and we saw them on every floor during our stay. This was a downer to a very nice property for us. Yet, through it all, we loved the Samoset and would return.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room with two double beds overlooking the ocean---fantastic!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jay, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

My teenage son and I recently enjoyed five days at the Samoset. It was perfection in every way!
The resort offers a perfect balance of elegance, charm, coziness, and solitude. The staff was wonderful. Each interaction was friendly, while maintaining a professional demeanor. The resort is extremely well maintained, and clean. Our beds were a cloud of heaven, each evening with superior linens, and lovely mattresses.
The spa is not to be missed, if enjoying their sanctuary appeals to you. The spa director, Julie was accommodating and very helpful. I so enjoyed an exfoliation treatment with Jessie, who happens to be the loveliest of employees at the Samoset. She's a gem.

We enjoyed room service most mornings, and were delighted with the selections and speed in which our trays arrived. The blueberry pancakes are perfection! I'm going through a bit of withdrawal without them! ; )

I'm already planning two visits in 2015, and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: I requested a high floor, and was very glad I did so! Unfortunately, far too many young children we...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear AkitaBear,

Thank you so very much for your kind and gracious review of the Samoset. It was our pleasure to offer you and your teenage son such a nice respite. I am glad to read of your planned returned visits in the future. I will be certain to share your comments with Julie, our Spa & Recreation Director, as well as with Jessie. They are both part of why The Spa at The Samoset was chosen by Conde Nast’s Traveler magazine as one of the Top 10 U.S. Resort Spas for 2014.

We look forward to seeing you in 2015 for more blueberry pancakes!

Cornelius J. Russell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Grand Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Lincolnville
250 Main Hotel
250 Main Hotel
#2 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!