“A Year Round Gem on the Maine coast”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife Elizabeth and I spent this past weekend at the Samoset Resort. Each time we visit the resort we continue to be impressed with the attentive and friendly staff, luxurious accommodations, great food, and an amazing array of amenities. The resort's GM, Mr. Russell goes out of his way to make sure we enjoy our staff.
Cannot wait until our next visit,

Room Tip: the rooms are all excellent with views towards the Ocean. We love the suites... particularly for a l...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RBaldacci2014
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Rbaldacci,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Samoset resort and your recent stay with us. It was our pleasure to welcome you back. Your kind comments are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife again for a return visit in the future.

Cornelius J. Russell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed here for six nights. I got a great deal, so even though Maine in March is not the best timing, we decided to go. It's been a while since I stayed right on the coast during winter. The weather was relatively mild.
For the resort, we stayed at the timeshare part. We stayed at the 700 building. So there are hotel part which is with the main part. The timeshare buildings are short walk from the main building. There are three building. We stayed in room 703, which is in the lower floor.

Our unit. The good; the unit is tastefully decorated much better than what the outside and hallway looked. Has a small kitchen with two small stove top, and small toaster oven, has a dishwasher, and everything you can ask for. One bedroom unit with king bed. Bed was comfortable. there is a little balcony that looks to the golf course and the ocean. f
The bad; I am being picky because the place is pretty nice, It would have been nice if there was in-unit laundry. also there is a DVD player, but they didn't have the right cord, so all DVD comes in really crappy like you are watching black and white TV. the clock's battery was dead. Also, I feel like the parking lot was small, I don't know if we would have found a space during the high season.

Main building: The good: First, the main building is beautiful. The vista is stunning. Check in was quick. I called before and let them know that I was coming on Sat, instead of Fri (since for time share you do for a whole week). And also asked them about pack and play, which they had and placed into our unit. The club was great. Nice swimming pool which we uses almost daily. Has a hot tub. Also there is a gym with weights, machines and even classes. The locker room even has a steam room that my husband used multiple times. is also small arcade and activity room with games, ping pong table. We can also borrow movies (limited selection, more for kids movies), Wii games, and skates.
The bad: the restaurant, which I did know before getting there, spa (which I wanted to use while I was there because I did not know it was closed), and gift shop is closed during the week for the winter time.

It was a nice place. One of the better timeshares I've been to.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank mjczoey

Dear mjczoey,

Thank you for your review of the Samoset. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay in our timeshare units and using our fitness facilities in The Club at The Samoset. This time of year the hot tub, indoor pool, and steam rooms really feel wonderful.

I apologize for the poor performance of the DVD player in your unit, as well as not notifying you about the main resort outlets such as the spa and restaurants being partially closed in winter. We will take steps to address this communication opportunity with our Timeshare Manager.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I just want to say how happy I was this weekend. I brought my daughter, now 28 and 3 grandchildren to our annual birthday trip to the Samoset. My daughter has been coming here since before she was born! We go every year for her birthday and sometimes in between. Both my children have bough at least 1 timeshare. It goes to show what a family orientated resort this is.
On Friday we arrived early because we had small children and knew they would need a nap soon. The general manager went out of his way to get us in a room as quickly as possible. Then when we went to the pool he had toys for the kids. He went over and above as did other staff. hope this will be shared with the GM in Rockport. Thank you

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. The ones with the ocean view are spectacular! the sun coming up over the w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Debbie e,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to read of your three-generation family visit to the Samoset. It is wonderful that all of you have been able to make family memories by both staying in the resort and the timeshare units.

I was happy to assist you personally with an early check-in when you arrived. I remember when my own children were small how important nap schedules were, for the kids and the adultsalike, even when on vacation. I hope everyone had a great time swimming in the indoor pool.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was at least my 10th stay at this fabulous property and I have never been disappointed. We took advantage of a BOGO at half off offer. When we arrived I was informed that we were upgraded to an oceanfront king suite! And how sweet it was. The rooms were beautifully furnished, spacious and totally comfortable. The view of the breakwater, lighthouse and islands is spectacular. Each staff that we encountered was helpful, upbeat and engaging. We ate one breakfast and 2 dinners at the hotel. The hot oatmeal brulee with fresh fruit and walnuts is a great way to start the day. Dinner seated at the Enoteca bar was delicious (salads are super fresh and tasty, the bread to die for and the sauces yummy) and entertaining as we watched two chefs prepare gourmet pizzas and other appetizers. The lobby is cozy yet stunning with a huge fireplace, exposed beams and leather furniture. Can't wait to return next month!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully furnished but oceanfront rooms can't be beat.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 140PatP

Dear 140PatP,

We are honored and grateful you continue to choose to return to the Samoset year after year. Our winter season specials, such as the Buy One Night Get the 2nd Night 50% Off, is a great way to enjoy the many amenities we have available during winter. It was certainly our pleasure to upgrade you to an ocean view king suite. Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed our excellent dining options in both La Bella Vita and Enoteca, too. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed as exhibitors for the Fishermen's forum at the Samoset. Rooms very nice and beautiful view. Employees very helpful and accommodating throughout the hotel. Room service, dining staff and housekeeping staff were very nice. Enjoyed the experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Alice W,

Thank you for your supportive review of the Samoset. It is always a pleasure to welcome attendees and vendors back to the annual Fishermen’s Forums each spring. We hope you return someday when you won’t need to be working while visiting.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed at the Samoset for [3] three days and my Grand Daughter had her wedding there. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. The views from all rooms were overlooking the water and the sunrise was spectacular !!! The food served in the dinning room and room service was very good and the staff was very cordial and very friendly. I was very impressed with with the Samoset and will stay there again and often !!! They did a GREAT JOB for my Grand Daughters Wedding !!!

Room Tip: With a room with water view you can't go wrong
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Lee B,

We love watching families and friends plan and then enjoy weddings at the Samoset Resort. It is always such a wonderful time of celebration and we are honored to be trusted with helping everyone’s dreams come true. We are very glad that you enjoyed your granddaughter’s wedding so much and look forward to seeing you again sometime.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was the worst meal I have ever had put down in front of me. A little piece of beef ?, nasty scallops and dry rice. First time ever I refused to eat the meal. Must say the pizza at the bar was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank lobcarl
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear lobcarl,

I regret your individual experience did not match that of the other attendees at the 39th annual Maine Fishermen's Forum. We received overwhelming positive feedback concerning this year's event, including many specific accolades about the meals offered to the attendees.

Had you brought your displeasure to any one of our staff's attention when you were here, we would've taken immediate steps address your concerns. Our goal is to consistently exceed our guests' expectations and I apologize if we fell short of the mark in this particular instance. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Cornelius J. Russell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Grand Harbor Inn
Rockland Harbor Hotel
Rockland Harbor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Rockland
The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!