“Third Mile Service!”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
“Third Mile Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We have really enjoyed our stay at the Samoset Resort. The staff at the restaurant have been especially accommodating! We purchased some Chowders and wanted to warm them up and eat them in our room - Jeremy in the restaurant went above and beyond to take care of us - delivering our hot, delicious lunch to us personally. Hard to find service like that anymore! Additionally, when we arrived (very late) we didn't like the original ocean view room we were assigned, and the next morning, the GM Connie was very understanding and offered to move us to a different room.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Karen,

Jeremy, our assistant food and beverage director, is a rising star having won multiple service awards here at the Samoset. I am pleased to read that once again he executed third mile service. I am also personally pleased that we were able to provide accommodations that better met your view expectations. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

With hospitality,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed two nights in the Flume Cottage at the Samoset Resort in August. It was the highlight of our Maine vacation. The resort is fine - not fancy - but perfectly fine. But, the Flume Cottage is out of this world. It is like no other place we have ever stayed. You are driven down to your private, one-of-a kind cottage on the rocky shore of the Penobscot Bay. The cottage is completely renovated and comfortable. The views are spectacular - and even a hot tub on the deck. It rained during one day of our stay - no worry at all - we played games and enjoyed the serenity and views of the cottage. We ate all our meals at the hotel - the food and service were great. We also had room service delivered once. It was quick and tasty. The resort was close to capacity - but it never felt crowded - just fun like summertime. The Flume Cottage is a hidden gem!

Room Tip: The Flume Cottage is the way to go - a splurge that is worth the price tag.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Egwalter
egwalterva,

The Flume Cottage, due it location and unique ambiance provides a one-of-a-kind experience and is indeed out of this world. Completely renovated in 2010 the addition of glass panels to the east facing deck are my favorite new feature, in addition to the privet outdoor hot tub. I am glad to hear that the rain did not damper your stay, I would not have wanted to leave the cottage either. We look forward to hosting you for another visit to this special gem again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

The hotel looked wonderful and every staff member we encountered was friendly and super helpful. Our room had a beautiful ocean view. Walking trails were really nice. We had a great time in the bar listening to Curt and Jenn sing and Chris the bartender made fun cosmos for the girls. (always a hit!) Breakfast the next morning was fantastic – something for everyone!
We will be back – maybe midweek this fall?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mainah3
jeangm11,

We are glad you loved this place and we agree that the Samoset Resort just keeps getting better. I appreciate you recognizing our friendly service, beautiful ocean view rooms, and walking trails. I personally choose Kurt and Jen, a wonderful folk duet who sings everyone’s favorite songs, which provides a nice backdrop to our popular Enoteca Lounge. Bar tender Chris and cosmos are always a recipe for success! Come visit again soon.

Duxbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My family including my folks, my son and my brothers family stayed at the Samoset for 5 days. We had 5 adults and 3 children and we went on all the rides for 5 days. The service at the hotel was exceptional and every request we made was granted. The rooms were nice and the beds and pillows were fabulous. There is so much for a family to do at the resort it is difficult to fit it all in. The golf course is reasonably priced and is in great shape with many holes along the ocean. The spa is excellent and not a fortune. The pool and hot tub overlook the ocean and is a great way to spend the afternoon. We fished on the jetty and caught small Mackerel and Cod. The health club and all the recreational activities were all great (disc golf is a blast). The breakfast in the hotel is really good and I highly recommend the blueberry turnovers and the eggs benedict. Although the pizza is good, The Italian Restaurant in the resort is the only weak link. Its expensive and very mediocre. The concierge staff is happy to recommend local restaurants and there are a bunch of good ones around. In Good Company, Natalies and Graphams Clam Shack were all excellent. This is a great place for a family trip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Neal G
Neil,

Thank you for staying with us for five days and recognizing our property as a great place for a family trip. I am pleased we were able to meet all your requests and expectations through your entire stay. Fishing off the Rockland Breakwater is certainly a bonus; fishing equipment is available for purchase at many local shops. I apologize that our Italian restaurant did not meet your expectations, but am glad our concierge was able to provide the information you were looking for. We look forward to hosting you and your family again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I just came back from a 4 night stay at The Samoset. The property is just plain fabulous. Green all over and over looking Penobscot Bay..Water all around. The young staff could not have been nicer, everything is," of course". Our king bedded room overlooked the water and 3 holes on the golf course. It was quite large, with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom could have been larger but that was minor.

The housekeeping staff was made up of very competent women and as soon as you put your sign out, the room was starting to be cleaned. If you wanted new linens on your bed there was a card to put down and new linens were done. My only complaint was that for a top notch resort they should have turn down service at night.

We ate at the hotel twice and the food was quite good. The buffet breakfast at $17 was a fair price for what they served.

The pool was outstanding but I wished that since they had all the lawn space they would have spaced the lounge chairs better to give more room between chairs. On a rainy day there is an indoor pool as well as a health club.

If you are a golfer, this is a great place. The course has 5 holes that either border on the water or look out over it. There is an excellent practice facility to boot.

If it matters the resort is dog friendly.

A highly recommended place to stay in my book and I would certainly return albeit the 7 hour drive from NYC is not an ideal.

Room Tip: Make sure that you get a room that faces the water and has a terrace.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hwayne310
Hwayne310,

Thank you for staying with us for four nights in August. We are glad you recognize all that our property has to offer, including our polished staff. I appreciate your recognition of the housekeeping team’s efficiency. Our turndown service is available to all guests on a request basis and we would have been happy to provide that to you during your stay by simply contacting our “Consider it Done” operator at the front desk. I am please you enjoyed the food and received value for the breakfast buffet. You will be pleased to know that we are adding another deck and additional chairs to the outdoor pool this fall to provide more space for our guests. We agree with your golf course review and pride ourselves on the practice facility; including a full range, putting green and short game area.

Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had a business meeting that I extended the stay a few days so my wife and I could enjoy the Maine coast. We have vacationed before in maine but always inland on a lake with short day trips to the ocean - so an opportunity to enjoy the coast!!

So the view is spectacular. We enjoyed the walk to the lighthouse along the jetty We wish the ocean side was more developed for ease of access by guests of the hotel on the hotel property!

The restaurant downstairs is really many different venues sharing a menu.You can be dining room or bar or outside - we tried the all and enjoyed them all.

The food was good, sometime very good and reasonably priced. I will say the Fig and Pear salad should be renamed the 1/2 Fig and Pear. We were having lunch with friends, one who ordered salad with beets. So she shared a beet with me and I shared a fig, or I should say 1/2 of a fig, with her. To my chagrin as I ate my very tasty salad - there was no more fig. That just drove me crazy!

I played golf and the course is beautiful! I wish we had figured out that they offer night tours of the grounds to see the many wonderful views - the gardens are fantastic. I lamented many a night they should have a lighted path to the ocean for guest to walk and enjoy.

We were lucky to get a end room with a walk-out deck and a beautiful view. I will tell you other rooms with the triangle angle to the ocean would not have been as well received.

Love fireplaces and fire pits - do not like it when the are gas lit. Just me.

At the end of the day what made this a wonderful stay was the staff. From the moment we walked in the doorman, front desk (thank-you both for making us welcome at 11pm at night when we arrived so tired), service folk and wait staff we all very friendly, helpful and caring. Well one exception for a hostess at the restaurant who did not like I came in from the outside not to the desk - "do we have reservations" she asked in a tone - well I am a guest here an no one suggested I might not be able here eat there! That one blip aside, I think the service overall was best in class - especially the bartenders and the outside wait staff.

I asked parking valet for recommendations about local places to eat and visit - they were super to talk to and very dedicated to the hotel and making sure we were happy. They were the best of the best out front.

For that reason - we hope to go back! We need to get more pool time!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3nicks27
3nicks27,

We enjoy hosting our business guests and encourage them to arrive early and stay later. We are glad you enjoyed our million dollar view and the 7/8th of a mile walk to the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. La Bella Vita continues to impress our guests and local community with a diverse menu and quality service. Our single queen ocean view rooms offer the best views as they sit at the very end of each corridor and due to the location provide a more expansive deck. Our guests can enjoy the ambiance of three fire pits, one of which is wood and features s’mores during family activity night. I am glad our staff made for a wonderful stay, with the exception of the isolated greeting incident in the restaurant. We look forward to your next visit.

NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I thought the hotel was beautiful, the property spectacular and the service excellent. It is Maine, and not Rome or Paris or NYC, so you cant expect avant garde room decor, multilingual staff... and perfection, but it's truly a great stay. The pool was awesome, the restaurant very good and the golf looked like a great 'resort style' course. Our balcony was big and looked out to the course and the ocean beyond it. The only negatives were that the balcony was not clean (which we really wanted to utilize) and the few wines I tasted at the bar were terrible. Should have called the maids to clean up the porch...

• Stayed August 2013
Lindsay R,

We appreciate your review of our hotel’s beauty, spectacular property, and our staff’s commitment to service excellence. We also appreciate your recognition of our outdoor pool, restaurant, and championship golf course. I apologize that our housekeepers team was not afford the opportunity to correct the outside deck to your satisfaction. I was surprised to read you did not enjoy our wines, as we were just recognized and a 2013 Wine Spectator Award winner. We hope you escape the New York City to visit us again.

With hospitality,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Grand Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Lincolnville
250 Main Hotel
250 Main Hotel
#2 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!