Visited in April to attend a local show at the Strand Theater. Check in was delayed because woman who arrived before us wanted to review options for rooms in detail with Diane at the desk and then Diane started to complain about her Computer problems. She never greeted us as we waited and eventually blamed the computer when it was finally our turn, as though, as guests who just drove six hours non-stop from our home we should identify and sympathize somehow.
Mark at the bar was warm and gracious and his Hay Caramba Margarita Martinis are superb, although I could not pick up on the jalapeno infusion. He pledged to be open until at least 10pm so we rushed back after the show to find the place dark and closed up. Likely a "manager" wanted to go home, we surmise.
Interior design of restaurant areas is beautiful except for the giant automatic espresso machine which dominated the back bar. Exterior Hotel facade with vague references to lighthouses seems dated, rambling, half-hearted and corny. Not sure anybody can help this as there was obviously no attempt to honor historic architectural references.
Ocean view room was appreciated although we were not asked about bed preference and given a queen/queen with the place at low at occupancy and I did not get much sleep. Bed seemed comfy but I would have slept better in a king. Pillows are either the lrge square decorative accent ones of the tiny "chicklet" ones. We prefer two or four normal size sleeping pillows rather than a quantity of five oddball ones.
I planned to order breakfast for my wife and me by room service with the door hanger menu only to find at 10 pm that ours had been filled out and left by a prior guest and not replaced. One wonders how in off-season how these sort of details missed what happens when the place is rocking?
One would think that those who visit in the off season would be greeted with more warmth and appreciation for making the trip...
We will consider Samoset again and give the team here another try.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rockport, ME resort and golf course located on the coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Samoset Resort On The Ocean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samoset Resort On The Ocean Hotel Rockport
- Samoset Hotel Rockport
- Samoset Resort On The Ocean Maine/Rockport