“Mixed feelings... waffling between a three or four circle rating”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am combining the reviews of two stays, one week apart in this review.

The first stay was a solo trip - a relaxing spa trip for myself. That stay was perfect! The resort itself was gorgeous. My room on the 2/F faced the ocean and every morning I woke up and sat out on the balcony looking at the ocean with a cup of coffee (Keurig coffee makes in the room which was a plus). Imagine how relaxing it was! That was in addition to fabulous spa services (I had a facial and a massage - to die for!) and a nice swim in the heated pool overlooking the ocean.

This stay was so perfect that I decided to book a stay the next weekend for my wedding anniversary (this time I was bringing my husband!). I wanted to show him what I experienced the past weekend. I was told that I would get a 15% off for return guest (it was listed as a promotion on the back of the hotel key card holder). I was told that it was busy but I was assured that I would get an oceanview. I was told that they didn't have a king room, but I was happy with two queen beds in the room as long as I got the oceanview.

When we got to the resort Friday night (we came from Boston and drove straight up after work) around 8.30pm, we were given a room on the ground floor with a "garden view". I think most of the rooms in the resort have ocean view except for maybe 10 rooms I guess (I am guessing because those would be the ones facing the pool but not high enough to see past the pool to see the ocean). We weren't told that at check in despite clearly on my reservation confirmation that I reserved a 2 queen ocean view room. My guess was that because we arrived a bit late so they gave our room away. I understood that the resort was crowded and I understood the practice of overbooking (not that I agree with it or condone it because I feel that the consumer had very little protection since if a customer didn't show, the resort was entitled to charge the customer for the night). What upset me was that when we tried to get into a room that I reserved, and was told that in the computer it said "upgrade if possible"???? No apology. Funny thing was the junior night clerk didn't even try to explain anything over the phone but handed the phone to the senior person on duty, clearly anticipating what I was going to ask for or complain about. Then why did they not just come out right away to apologize and say something along the lines of "sorry, your room wasn't available (make up some excuse) but we will get you to an oceanview room tomorrow". I would have felt tons better. Instead, when we got to the desk that night, the senior desk person (a lady) tried to almost say we booked the inferior room and were just angling for an upgrade. I checked before I rebook that a garden view room was to be either 70 dollars or 80 dollars cheaper but I specifically asked for an oceanview room. She also said "come back to the desk tomorrow morning and we'll see what we can do for you". What!!!!

I was really upset then but knew there weren't a lot of rooms in town available, so we didn't leave. I was tired as well. Oh, and to make matters worse, there were no bathrobes in this room (it was in the description)

The next morning we stopped by the front desk and talked to the general manager Connie Russell (who was the one who took my reservation the past weekend). He did apologize that time and promised to upgrade us. I stressed to him again that the biggest thing I cared about was the view. I didn't need a bigger room nor a hot tub but wanted a room like the one I stayed in the week before. We ended up getting a room on the top floor with a hot tub on the terrace. However, the view was of the clubhouse and restaurant and the ocean view was there but you had to go to the end of the terrace to see the ocean. He also sent chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary as an apology. I appreciated the gesture but unfortunately our taste was soured already.

I am really conflicted about this place now. I know what it could be (my first stay) which was relaxing and satisfying. However, the second stay was just not up to par for a place with a AAA four diamond rating. There is a certain amount of trust you put in the rating system that you expect a certain level of service (e.g. you get the room you reserved except in some extraordinary circumstances). I haven't decided whether I would go back there again.

Room Tip: Or alternatively how to avoid a bad room - The rooms on the ground floor farthest from the reception...

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed four nights in Sept. We had a room overlooking one of the tee boxes of the golf course. We were on the ground level so the patio was spacious. Our room was clean and a convenient walk to the pool area, parking lot or even the spa and restaurant. Lovely marble bathroom with a large shower and a large soaking tub. We had room service the first night and it was delivered very quickly. The food was good. We ate in the restaurant twice for the breakfast buffet and it was wonderful! We only had dinner in the bar area one evening. It was very nicely appointed and lovely. The food was very good also. The floor in the lobby is amazing! There are several areas throughout the property to sit and enjoy coffee and a wonderful view! Cozy areas with rocking chairs everywhere! Great time of the year to be there, no children and it was really quiet.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I've stayed at the Samoset a few times in the last 2 years. The property is the real selling point with a golf course overlooking the ocean. My most recent stay was a little disappointing as they stuck me in a room at the beginning of the hallway and there was a lot of foot traffic. The balcony was undersized and definitely in need of renovation work (mold on the ceiling). We played a morning round of golf, which was probably the highlight of the trip. The course is rather pricey, but the greens were in pretty good condition. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. It was pretty good, not spectacular. I'll probably be back next year, but I'll make sure I ask for a better room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in May and fell in love with the place. We got a package that included the room, dinner and breakfast. The rooms all have an ocean view and a balcony that are fabulous! The dinner, I cannot begin to say how delicious it was. You have a choice off the menu and everything was awesome. Very quiet and relaxing at that time of year. The indoor pool had a lot of children jumping and splashing- which is to be expected, so we opted out of doing that! The outdoor pool was closed at this time of year but looked like it would be a great time in the summer months. I would not hesitate to return to this resort.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room closest to the end so that you get a better view of the ocean. Our room was t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Excellent staff, rooms and grounds. A bit expensive (rooms about $200/night) for the average person. I stayed two nights here for a business conference. Great walk down to the Breakwater Lighthouse. Golf course was in excellent shape with challenging greens.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our ocean-front room had an unbeatable view, but there were children absolutely everywhere on the property.

Swimming in the pool was not an option: too many children. At the outdoor restaurant, tots climbed on the retaining wall, scampered out onto the golf course, fell off the retaining wall... seemingly unsupervised (although the parents were there). The walls between rooms were thin and early morning sounds drifted through. You guessed it: cartoons.

That said, the food was excellent, the staff (with the exception of the woman who checked us in) very friendly, and the golf course beautiful. The decor in the hallways and rooms seemed a little tired.

If you have children (this was Labor Day Weekend) you'll love it. If not, maybe wait until after Labor Day?

Room Tip: Second floor or higher. Ground floor rooms get a lot of passing foot traffic, including the occasion...
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've recently stayed two nights in this resort. It was an absolute pleasure. I have booked kind of last minute and didn't get the best value really!! the rate was $350+ for an ocean view double (Kings were sold out) but the room was very spacious. When I arrived i had to switch rooms a couple of times until I found the one I liked from what was available but the hotel honored my request with a pleasure and offered all they could to help.
I ended up styaing on the ground floor facing the ocean. I actually prefered it over the higher floor because you can immediately go out to the grass and have a drink by one of the reclining chairs and since the hotel sits on top of a little hill you can still see the ocean very nicely from your ground floor room.
Overall very nice 5* place. I was disappointed that they do not offer mini-bar service, but you can still order glasses of wines or drinks through the room service. The spa was very nice, I and my wife went for a couple massage. The restaurants were also very relaxing. Basically a great place to relax. But go there with an open budget becasue our two night stay ran a check of $1500...I couldnt complain because I was very pleased with my stay, but I cant say its the best value for money.

Room Tip: Ground floor oceanview have a sliding door to the gardens where you can go for a stroll or sit and r...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Island View Inn
#1 of 3 in Rockland
Inn at Ocean's Edge
Inn at Ocean's Edge
#3 of 5 in Lincolnville

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!