“Samoset Resort on the ocean”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Haverhill, Ma.
“Samoset Resort on the ocean”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in May and fell in love with the place. We got a package that included the room, dinner and breakfast. The rooms all have an ocean view and a balcony that are fabulous! The dinner, I cannot begin to say how delicious it was. You have a choice off the menu and everything was awesome. Very quiet and relaxing at that time of year. The indoor pool had a lot of children jumping and splashing- which is to be expected, so we opted out of doing that! The outdoor pool was closed at this time of year but looked like it would be a great time in the summer months. I would not hesitate to return to this resort.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room closest to the end so that you get a better view of the ocean. Our room was t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Lancaster, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Excellent staff, rooms and grounds. A bit expensive (rooms about $200/night) for the average person. I stayed two nights here for a business conference. Great walk down to the Breakwater Lighthouse. Golf course was in excellent shape with challenging greens.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Norwich, Vermont, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our ocean-front room had an unbeatable view, but there were children absolutely everywhere on the property.

Swimming in the pool was not an option: too many children. At the outdoor restaurant, tots climbed on the retaining wall, scampered out onto the golf course, fell off the retaining wall... seemingly unsupervised (although the parents were there). The walls between rooms were thin and early morning sounds drifted through. You guessed it: cartoons.

That said, the food was excellent, the staff (with the exception of the woman who checked us in) very friendly, and the golf course beautiful. The decor in the hallways and rooms seemed a little tired.

If you have children (this was Labor Day Weekend) you'll love it. If not, maybe wait until after Labor Day?

Room Tip: Second floor or higher. Ground floor rooms get a lot of passing foot traffic, including the occasion...
Dubai
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've recently stayed two nights in this resort. It was an absolute pleasure. I have booked kind of last minute and didn't get the best value really!! the rate was $350+ for an ocean view double (Kings were sold out) but the room was very spacious. When I arrived i had to switch rooms a couple of times until I found the one I liked from what was available but the hotel honored my request with a pleasure and offered all they could to help.
I ended up styaing on the ground floor facing the ocean. I actually prefered it over the higher floor because you can immediately go out to the grass and have a drink by one of the reclining chairs and since the hotel sits on top of a little hill you can still see the ocean very nicely from your ground floor room.
Overall very nice 5* place. I was disappointed that they do not offer mini-bar service, but you can still order glasses of wines or drinks through the room service. The spa was very nice, I and my wife went for a couple massage. The restaurants were also very relaxing. Basically a great place to relax. But go there with an open budget becasue our two night stay ran a check of $1500...I couldnt complain because I was very pleased with my stay, but I cant say its the best value for money.

Room Tip: Ground floor oceanview have a sliding door to the gardens where you can go for a stroll or sit and r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newburgh, New York, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This Resort has something for everyone. Our stay was terrific. The staff were courteous, and available to assist with any of our needs. We had a light dinner in the bar area of the restaurant on Friday evening while live music was being preformed. On Saturday, we enjoyed one of the best meals I have had out in quite some time. La Bella Vita. The service staff was terrific, the food was hot and cooked perfectly. If you go, try the NY Strip, or if they have it as it was a special on the evening we dined, the sushi grade Yellow tuna. You can't go wrong.
The restaurant has a great atmosphere, and dining with a water view is a plus.
On a scale of 1 to 10, the food was off the charts.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with a view of the bay. Not hard as the Resort is designed for this.
Everett, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was surprised by my family with a one night stay at the Samoset Resort in Rockport, Maine to celebrate my 50th birthday. We were greeted by such a friendly and professional staff (Belinda) who actually up graded one of our rooms from an ocean view room to a deluxe ocean view room which was absolutely beautiful. Both rooms were finely decorated and absolutely spotless. When arriving back to my room that evening, I was pleasantly surprised with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne and that is what I call hospitality! It was so relaxing watching the sunrise in the morning and being a spectator from my balcony watching the golfers on the greens, brides having photo's taken, along with walking the well maintained grounds on a beautiful crisp fall morning!! Loved...LOVED it! a few other names that were so willing to help during our stay were Ken, Ann Kennedy and Faith! Thank you Samoset Resort...you made my One night stay into wonderful memories I will treasure for years! Will be back for sure and it will be for more than one evening!

Room Tip: corner rooms have large side window along with slider onto balcony. While walking the grounds, all...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sanford, Maine
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Samoset for 2 nights, Sept 7 & 8th. We are from Maine and have been wanting to stay at the Samoset for years. We're so glad we finally did it !! They also offer a "Maine residents rate" which was better than the AAA rate. The room was beautiful, ocean view and exceptionally clean. My only complaint was that we were in a room with an "adjoining" room. The first night our neighbors were quite noisy which was disappointing. Next time I will be sure to request a room without an adjoining door . We were also on the second floor, which is the same floor as the reception area. It was overall quiet but again, next time I will request a 3rd or 4th floor room in a more quiet area. The first night we ate in the Italian restaurant. Our waitress, Kate, was great and the food was also quite good. The pool area was awesome, although the bar was closing for the season that weekend. We were able to get drinks and enjoy the ocean views, but it would have been nice if they were opened longer. Understandably, they are short staffed after Labor Day. Housekeeping was wonderful with the cleanest rooms I've seen in a hotel in a long time :) We visited both Rockland and Camden and found them both to be very close to the resort and both very nice little towns. Lots of nice little stores and restaurants and lots of nice little places to stop and visit along the way. We had the BEST breakfast at the Home Kitchen Cafe in Rockland. You must check them out if you are in the area. All of their food is homemade and just wonderful. There are also several light houses in the area that are open to the public. Take time to visit the Transportation Museum in Owl's Head. We also really enjoyed sitting out on the deck of the Enoterca pub/bar. Had some nice appetizers and drinks while watching golfers on the green right in front of the restaurant. All in all, the Samoset is a great vacation spot. I would go back again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ocean view room on a higher floor
1 Thank Priscilla S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Island View Inn
#4 of 10 in Camden
Rockland Harbor Hotel
Rockland Harbor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!