“Worth every penny”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Comfortable, Clean, Catering. my husband and I had a wonderful anniversary! so many things to do and see, and wonderful places to eat. Shopping close by. Great for anyone from the outdoors enthusiast to the diva! Loved our stay. Beds are oh so comfy and feel like home. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Relaxing get away in luxury.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank jlynn_2280
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Jlynn_2280,

Thank you for your feedback and your spring visit with us.

I am glad we could accommodate your getaway and provide the high standards in hospitality and luxury that is expected from the Samoset. Further, I am glad that we were able to meet your expectations of value in coordination with your visit.

Best wishes for the summer season. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Cornelius J. Russell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were very pleased with our stay here. All the staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly - from the front desk to the spa to housekeeping to wait service in the restaurant. The Sunday Brunch was wonderful. Great selections, good tastes, made-to-order eggs and pasta, very rich desserts. Mimosas were yummy. We were in a time share, building 800, by the golf course and the water. The unit was great ... complete with ANY cooking utensil you'd need including a convection oven. The golf course was so beautiful ... right by the water and well-kept. I love to walk/hike and only golfers are permitted on the golf trails during the day. You can, however, walk out to the Breakwater lighthouse via the 7/8 mile broken rock and boulder pier ... which was very pretty and interesting. The Spa is only about a year old. I had a facial and warm massage oil treatment for the hair and scalp; I was very pleased with both experiences. The health club benefits were included with the resort fees: machines, classes, saunas, indoor (and outdoor) pools and hot tubs. I believe the place has been recently renovated, We certainly enjoyed being there and would return.

Room Tip: The little cottages by the water have breath-taking views ... and get booked a year in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QTandToots

QTandToots,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us in our timeshare condominiums. It is great to hear you had a wonderful experience with us.

I am very pleased that our staff and property met your expectations and our high standards. It is my hope you enjoyed our recently renovations, completed in all 72 of our timeshare accommodations.

It is wonderful that you were also able to enjoy our Sunday Brunch. We take pride in this signature experience, which we feel provides high quality dining on par with the spectacular views of Penobscot Bay.

Many thanks again for your feedback and your patronage. I wish you the best for a wonderful summer season, and look forward to your next visit in midcoast Maine.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

On our trip to Maine each year we always stay at the Samoset when we stay in Rockland for 3 days. This year was good and bad, to start things off the lady at the front desk was rude and unwilling to help, the amenities weren't available when we arrived and the pools were in somewhat poor condition. Besides that the service at the restaurants and housekeeping were respectful and nice and the hotel was in good condition. Except for the fact that over the years it's definitely degraded its standards. We will likely be back next year but they better improve their work ethic.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laumety

Laurnety,

I appreciate your recent visit with us and your feedback concerning your stay.

I sincerely apologize for not providing the level of service upon arrival that meets our mutual expecations. Our continual goal is to provide Maine hospitality and legendary service across all aspects of our property. I am glad that our housekeeping and restaurant staff met this goal, but regret that quality service was not provided consistently.

Concerning our amenities and pools, I regret that our process of providing standard maintenance to our pools coincided with your visit. These improvements are meant to keep our property at the high standards that you and our other guests expect from the Samoset.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to you next stay with us, and hope that you may have an improved experience during your next vacation at the Samoset.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Samoset is a very nice resort and wonderful accomodations! The staff is friendly, the resort is very clean and in good condition, the pool and fitness center are really nice as far as equipment and classes. I would think most people would go to Samoset would go there for the golfing. The golf course is lovely. The only thing negative is the golf course greens sit between the resort and the ocean. So, you can't get to the ocean right from the resort. You can see it, but you can't tough it. There is an exit off the property to the break waters, but it is a little walk off the property.

The views from the rooms are beautiful. What more could you ask for than golf course and ocean views through the same windows.

There are restaurants on property which is really convenient, but on this trip I ate all my meals off property.

If you have a reason to visit the area, Samoset is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Denise K
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Denise K,

Many thanks for your visit with us during you stay in midcoast Maine.

I am glad that you found your accommodations to be of high standard, and extremely pleased that our staff met our perpetual goal of providing Maine hospitality and quality customer service.

It is my hope that you may join us again on your next visit to the northeast. Thank you again for your compliments and patronage.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We waited two years to get a week at this resort. Our week was May 25th to June1st. We assumed Memorial Day weekend would be great as it is considered the beginning of the summer and, therefore, there would be a lot of festivities, etc. As it was, the pool outside was closed down right after the weekend and the pool inside was closed for repairs. There was a lady at the desk when we checked in who was not welcoming and, in fact, we had to ask for brochure to see what entertainment was available, what the information was regarding the golf course, etc. There was no entertainment and the golf course was so wet, you were not allowed to take a cart on it, but had to stay on the path the whole time. The day we played,was not fun, because so much of the course was overgrown and you had to assume what clubs you would need for a shot, rather than walk so far back to the cart. RCI members, it seems, gets the dregs of the units; in the back .... they are o'kay, but nothing plush about them, however, the amount of points you use are "plush". There is more to say about this vacation, however, nothing good. We came home a day early. Needless to say, I would not recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Don't go as an RCI traveler
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank barbara s

Barbara S,

I appreciate your feedback concerning your visit via timeshare exchange, and that you chose the Samoset as your vacation destination.

Though we wish we could provide the best weather for all of our guests, I do apologize that Mother Nature did not want to cooperate for the majority of your visit. As you may be aware, our region received 14 inches of rain during this time frame, which is an aberration for this time of year.

With regard to our heated outdoor pool, it was open, despite the inclement weather that persisted during the last week in May. Our pool side food and beverage outlet was not available, however our heated outdoor pool and hot tub were available for use throughout your stay. This was intended to be an alternative as we performed our annual maintenance on our indoor pool. I am sorry if you were not aware of this option.

Concerning our golf course, I am sorry you did not feel it met your expectations. Weather again played a factor with regard to cart path restrictions and maintenance that could performed, including parts of the course that would be mowed on a daily basis. From experience, we have found that allowing golf carts and heavy equipment onto the course following damp weather produces negative long term effects. These negative attributes in turn makes it more difficult for us to provide the championship course experience that our guests expect and deserve.

My biggest disappointment comes from your comments that focus on the lack of quality service from our staff. Maine hospitality and superior service are the backbone of the Samoset’s success. I am extremely remorseful that one of our associates did not provide you with the service and information you deserve, nor did they meet our mutual expectations. I will be sure to share these comments with our staff for future improvement.

As to your RCI assignment, condominiums are allotted based on what units are space banked by owners with your exchange company, and then assigned specifically by the company of choice. I regret that you did not like the unit you provided, in spite of the recent extensive renovations and investments made by the Homeowners Association to all condominiums on property.

I am grateful for the input you have shared, and appreciate your patronage.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I gave this hotel a 3 because there is no question this is lovely resort in a beautiful spot BUT.............
I am just disgusted with what has transpired this morning. First, let me preface by saying that the Samoset used to send emails to their faithful customers with discount codes for summer vacations or if you booked your summer vacation by a certain time to take some of the bite out of this pricey resort. The discount would, at the very least, end up paying for a round of golf and made you feel as if you were getting a “deal” for lack of a better term. I have re-subscribed at the beginning of the year online so I know they have our email address. Or perhaps you are a triple A member and could find a deal that way but that was not what I could find today. I logged on to make our usual family reservation and was HORRIFED to find the pricing has increased to a rate that is clearly unworthy for this establishment. The rate with taxes and "fees", for what I could never get an answer for, has nearly doubled in price, somewhere in the vicinity of $400 a night! Our family has stayed at this resort for 5 years in a row and we have seen an increase in price but this is a disgrace! On some weeks, online, I could find a room with price and description on other weeks I simply received the type of room with no information, which made it unable to book online. As if it were completely booked. Exasperated I phoned the hotel and was told that an outside vendor handles the website and the prices are "cheaper" online! Cheaper are you kidding me! $400 a night is far from cheap regardless of what economic bracket you are in. A room my family had last year for one week, at the same time of year, I keep all receipts, was under $2000 for the week and now it is well over $3000 this year, almost doubled, verified by the reservations assistant at the hotel. I fear the Samoset is catering to a clientele that is non-existent at this point. We are golfers and have enjoyed this hotel in the past but we will find another resort to spend our week at. At the very least thank you Samoset for forcing us to look outside of our comfort zone for a better resort!

Room Tip: There is no "tip" to offer and that is the problem!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Mass3
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Mass3,

I appreciate your input and your continued interest in the Samoset Resort.

Over the last four years, our property has undergone major renovations, so that we may provide the finest accommodations and on site amenities possible. Some of these upgrades include our new restaurants, outdoor pool, spa and guest room improvements. With these upgrades, we have made every effort to maintain fair pricing and the value that our guests expect and deserve from us.

As a guest that has been loyal to us, I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back at a rate that we may find mutally agreeable. It is my hope that we may earn back your trust and provide you and your family the chance to experience these improvements personally.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you again for sharing your reservations experience with us, so that we may improve it for the future.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have been going to the Samoset for years for both overnight stays for pleasure as well as for conferences. We typically go during the winter months to take advantage of the lower costs. Because they offered a Maine Residents Rate over Memorial weekend, my family decided to go. We typically will go to the Spruce Point Inn or The Colony Hotel in Kennebunkport during warmer months but decided to try the Samoset. We could not have had a better time. It felt like we had gotten onto a plane and flown to some far away location (we only drove one hour!). We booked a queen deluxe ocean view and the room was great. It was located on the far end of the hallway and it was directly facing the ocean and the breakwater/lighthouse. The golf course was out the front and we had a beautiful balcony with rocking chairs to enjoy the view. We were able to check in early so we took advantage of the pool. The main reason we chose the Samoset was because of the new pool. The outdoor pool that they used to have was nothing impressive. However, the new infinity pool they built is absolutely gorgeous. The landscaping, the furnishings, the pool, the new pool side restaurant and the whole layout was wonderful. They had a circular outdoor couch outside by the pool that was larger than my king side bed. My entire family was able to lay comfortably on this piece of furniture and it was sinful! They did said the water in the pool was heated but it was still pretty cold for late May. We did go in however. We had lunch at the pool side restaurant and it was delicious. It was served outside, under an umbrella. The presentation of the food was spectacular and the drink menu was expansive. It was expensive...over $70 for my husband and I and our two children. We did both have a cocktail. We spent the entire day laying in the sun. My children, ages 7 and 10 are just beginning to be independent on vacations and were thrilled to be able to run back to the room when they needed to, go to the arcade by themselves and have a ton of free space/grass to toss a baseball and even played basketball on the courts and tried horseshoes! There was so much for them to do...they were never bored!

We dragged ourselves away from the pool to enjoy dinner. We had heard lots of great things about their new Italian restaurant but didn't want to spend that kind of money on another meal. We decided to try the pizza bar. We had a beautiful table outside. The ambiance was amazing. The furnishings were gorgeous, very comfortable and the wait staff was lovely. The handmade pizzas and salad were just perfect for dinner...and actually spent less on dinner then we did for lunch.

We stayed at the pool the entire next day, even after we checked out. No one said anything to us and felt like the cost of the room was well worth the amount of time we were able to spend. It was hard to leave!

The only negatives are 1.) the cost, 2.) one of the women at the outdoor pool bar was sort of rude and didn't treat my children as if they were paying customers and 3.) there were loud and obnoxious children in the pool and their parents didn't do a thing about it! But that wasn't really the fault of the Samoset. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast because of the cost, so I went out into Rockland and got some wonderful bagels at The Hole in the Wall Bagel Shop and Dunkin Donuts coffee!

And to top off my weekend...there was a TJ Maxx/Home Goods not two minutes away. I spent an hour on Sunday enjoying some shopping. And there is a Shaw's Grocery store two minutes away and I stocked up on Gatorades and snacks.

It was a perfect weekend and I am looking at returning for the 4th of July week!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a good description of where the room is located. The deluxe rooms are the ones th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MaineMom5171

MaineMoms5171,

Thank you for your Memorial Day weekend visit and for your feedback regarding your stay.

Our staff takes pride in making the Samoset a place that is enjoyable and welcoming to families. I am pleased that your family had an chance to enjoy our renovated facilities and the beautiful weather we had last weekend.

Concerning your input regarding our pricing, I will confer with our Food and Beverage Director, so they we may take your comments into account for future menu development in all of our dining outlets. Further, I am sorry that one of our staff member as cited did not meet our mutual standard of quality, friendly service. We will look to improve upon this as well.

Many thanks again for your patronage. We look forward to your next visit in July, so that we may continue to provide you and your family the best the Samoset has to offer.

Cornelius J. Russell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Grand Harbor Inn
250 Main Hotel
#2 of 3 in Rockland
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
Camden Riverhouse Hotel and Inns

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!