“Beautiful views....helpful staff”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
philadelphia
“Beautiful views....helpful staff”
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

I went as the spouse on a business trip. The first night we checked in very late and despite having reserved a king bed, we got a very adequate room with no view and no king. When we went to the front desk and asked to change rooms the next morning, we were met with a very polite sweet young lady who insisted the hotel was full and she could not do anything...when we explained we were part of the group of 300...and only 10 had checked in....leaving potentially 290 rooms to choose from...she insisted that the hotel was full and she could not change...after 10 minutes of frustration we gave up to get a cup of coffee and were initially told that had to sit down and order a full breakfast...sensing our frustration...our whole visit was changed by the food and beverage manager, who in the great tradition of service...proceeded to go to the kitchen and bring us two cups of coffee ...and muffins and for two minutes of his time changed our whole opinion...and cause me to write this positive review...we then had a magnificent round of golf,,,,and decided to try again with the room...This time a different agent made it a breeze to change rooms...We got a room with a beautiful view within 30 seconds...these two staff members turned what could have been a very ordinary business trip into a very pleasurable stay....

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cbcesq
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Cbcesq,

We appreciate your recent visit with us on business, and the input you have provided.

Concerning your accommodations, I am sorry that we did not provide a guest room that met expectations upon your initial check in. Further, I regret that our response from our staff also did not meet our standards.

It is good to know that other members of our team were able to improve your experience, providing positive memories of your visit with us. I am glad that we were able to provide improved accommodations and friendly, personable service, which meet the high standards of our property.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback while also giving us the opportunity during your stay to make things right. It is my hope that you may return to visit us again soon.

Cornelius J. Russell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
CoastalMaine
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were only able to stay one night, but it was amazing. The views are the best on the east coast. The food was wonderful. The staff couldn't be friendlier. Everything has been remodeled and looks beautiful.

TimD3,

We appreciate your visit and your very kind words regarding the Samoset.

It is great to hear that you got the most out of your one night visit, and certainly hope you may visit us again this season.

DC
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Husband and I booked a 1 night's stay at the Samoset. Arrived after the 4PM check in time. All looked OK. Then it happened. We had to wrestle with the sliding door to the balony. It's heavy.
The toilet tank was bigger than the little toilet bowl. Maybe that's the invite not to stay in the bathroom too long in repose. The ice machine in the public access room was barely working if at all. Well, we thought, maybe it will be better in the morning. Our room had a lovely view of the ocean water front...as long as you are standing up. Perhaps there is a building code that requires the railings to be a certain height, not shorter. But sitting on the balcony to enjoy the view was....better spent standing up. Sitting down I had a great view of the railing, but I had to duck down past the railing to see the nice view between the rails. Not to worry, though. At least the area was nice and quiet. Meanwhile, taking a shower was an experience: the tub was not draining well. Maybe it's just lack of use for a long time. But on the next morning, same shower, same slow drainage. Out on the golf green, also part of the view, the grass was being cut, but that eventually quieted down. Next a few kids were having in sibling squabble for about another 20 minutes. All of this between 7:30-9AM. Well, I tried to use the nice magnifying mirror on the wall that is supposed to have a light inside it. No light. Let's try a little coffee. Nice coffee machine. Cream and white sugar and the other imposter sugars are there, but you'd think for the price of the place someone would put in demarara sugar packets. Moving along, as I looked at the close out bill, as also listed in the check in invoice, we were also assessed a separate resort fee for accessibility to the amenities that we didin't use. One would think the fee would be applicable if we used the amenities, such as the pool, golf, tennis, sitting by the outdoor pool, etc. When we arrived the afternoon before, the air was getting cooler, not condusive to outdoor, nor indoor pooling, not sitting in the setting sun. I was told on check out that the resort fee used to be separate and optional as the amenities were accessed, but now it is added to your bill whether you use the amenities or not. Maybe that works for at least a 2 nights stay, not a one night stay. Check in starts at 4PM, check out is by 11AM the next day. Be mindful that should you see the fee on your check in invoice, and you are staying for only 1 night, you'd better knock yourself out to get your $25 worth of access to the amenities, aka resort fee, plus a resort fee tax. Of course we could have also refused to complete the check in, but that might have cost us another fee for cancellation before 24 hours notice, heftier than the fee for amenities. If you plan to stay for 2 or more nights, it's a nice place. Not sure if the resort fee is a daily charge or just what. It was only explained briefly at the check in as to what the amenities are as available during our stay, as the concierge gentleman pointed them out on the key holder pocket information on our check in. Seems to me that information should be up front in all advertisings. In the one page ad that ran in our local Portland area paper, no such extra added in fee was mentioned. When my husband booked the reservation, no such fee was mentioned. Wish they had taller chairs so we would see the view from the balcony better. As I understand it we were paying extra already because of the "view" (of the raililng with the oceanfront behind it). But that's how it goes. Would I recommend this place to others? Only if they are staying 2 or more nights, and if they don't mind the resort fee (that should be handled differently). I could have done better closer to home on the ocean front, but we wanted to get away and so we did. The staff was helpful and courteous without being artificially sweet. Lessons learned in 20-20 hindsight.

Room Tip: If you ask for an oceanside room, be prepared for a great view of the balcony railing unless you hav...
1 Thank r2d2u
R2d2u,

I appreciate your visit with us last month and your corresponding feedback concerning your stay.

Regarding the several maintenance challenges cited, I am very sorry that these occurred. Though your balcony door and shower drain should not have been in disrepair, I hope that we did have the chance to make it right, so that it did not hinder a positive experience during your stay.

Concerning the balcony railing, I am sympathetic that these can at times hinder views from the room decks while sitting down. When installed, our goal was to provide an experience of having an ocean view deck with these accommodations, while not sacrificing the safety and security of our patrons.

As I’m sure you witnessed during your visit, our property has invested substantially in renovations, with the goal of modernizing and improving our accommodations and amenities. Our ownership and management team plan to continue this commitment to investment in our infrastructure; in correlation with this commitment, we will be sure to take your comments regarding potential replacement of our deck railings into consideration.

With regard to the resort fee, I regret that you did not feel this component of your visit was adequately communicated. We implemented the resort fee in 2011 with the purpose of providing more transparency in billing, and with the intention of expanding offerings and value to our guests. Aspects encompassed by the resort fee include in-room amenities such as complimentary Keurig coffee and bottled water, a daily newspaper, wireless internet access and access to onsite amenities, including our Health Club, outdoor zero entry pool, hot tub, fire pit, tennis courts, disc golf, basketball court, volleyball court, croquet, shuffleboards, tetherball and playground.

The resort fee is disclosed to our guests in several different ways, including in our advertising, in all personalized reservation confirmations, on our website, by our front office staff upon check in and by our reservations staff. This disclosure is also included specifically in the Maine Sunday Telegram advertisement you cited in your feedback. I do genuinely regret that you did not notice this when reading this information.

Despite what you have noted, it is my hope that you would be willing to visit us again. Should you wish to stay with us, please contact me personally so that I may assist with your reservations.

Many thanks again for your comments and your patronage. It is my hope we may bring strength to these identified weaknesses, improving the Samoset for all of our guests.

Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Overall nice place to stay. Location is excellent. The views of the old course and the ocean are great. The walls seem thin and noticed a lot of noise from neighboring room. The restaurant downstairs had been remodeled since last time I was there and was great. I would go back. Nice service and very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for ends with better view of ocean.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dble-D,

Many thanks for your May visit with us on business. Thank you as well for your positive feedback.

We are fortunate to have a wonderful spot overlooking Penobscot Bay, and an award winning, historical golf course overlooking the water. Further, we are excited that we have been able to accentuate the resort through improvements to our dining outlets and other onsite amenities.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to take advantage of all the Samoset has to offer, and hope to host you on your next visit to midcoast Maine.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We chose the Samoset for our Mother's day brunch. I hadn't been to the Samoset in a few years, so I was curious as to how it has fared over time. As we drove down the driveway to the resort, it was apparent to me that the resort is in better shape than I remember it. All the grounds, and golf course were immaculate, and the buildings upkeep spot-on.

Indoors, everything was clean, organized and neat. The Matre di greeted us and escorted our party to our table. The south end of the dining is all glass, which provides sweeping views of the golf course and ocean. The vista, was enough to make you feel as if the resort brought a little of the exterior, interior.

The food and wait staff were attentive, pleasant, and professional. With a large group, which included six children ages 8 to 12, this was no small feat. The food selection was excellent, and I really enjoyed the smoked mussels.

From here, visited the spa, and then moved onto the indoor pool. Everything was as it should be for a resort of this caliber. The accommodations and service have provided us some wonderful memories. The Samoset Resort on the Ocean is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the ocean side of the building.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Joseph1164,

I am pleased that your family chose the Samoset and La Bella Vita for your Mother's Day celebration. Further, I am glad that we met your expectation during your brunch visit.

Your positive feedback and kind words are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hosting your family's next special celebration or vacation visit.

Danville, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My wife and I visited Samoset Resort last weekend to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived, we knew we made the right choice in coming to Samoset. The staff was very attentive and welcoming. We stayed in a luxury suite with an amazing view of the Breakwater and Penobscot Bay, which we enjoyed from the in-room hot tub and private porch. The restaurant and spa were fantastic. We ventured into Camden to shop and eat and enjoyed the small, quaint seaside town. We only wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad view from any room at Samoset, but an upgraded room with a view is worth it!
2 Thank Steve B
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Steve B,

Thank you for your recent visit with us at the Samoset.

We are honored that you chose us as the destination for celebrating your 15th anniversary. I am pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations, and that the level of service provided met your expectations and our standards.

It is my hope we may host you again during your next visit to the area, whether it be for a vacation getaway, or a future anniversary celebration.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed May 21, 2012

For the three days I was at the Samoset I was absolutely awestruck. It had been 5+ years since my last visit. First and Foremost, the service and individual attention paid by employees to each and every guest is really a great reflection of Maine hospitality, and the best of hospitality in my experience there. The course has improved, and even after a 2 week stint of about 10" of rain, the course was still in good shape for some beautful play with the new irrigation. The spa and facilities were well groomed and maintained, there was absolutley no trouble in a short notice tee time and comfortable refreshment after play. La Bella, their new restaurant is also top shelf to say the very least; i would recommend the Black Mission Fig and Pear Sald w/ gorgonzola; absolutely my favorite meal. Sights, sounds, and fun; this place is as historic and beautiful as Maine gets. Many thanks to Mr. Barstow and his crew, wonderful to be welcomed, and helped as if I was a member of the resort. He was extremely professional, even when occupancy was near capacity, never too busy to help or advise on the best the resort and Rockland has to offer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Connie R, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
GorhamRam,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and continued patronage.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the recent upgrades to our resort, restaurant and golf course. Further, I am happy to hear that our staff and the service they provided met the high standards that both you and I expect of the Samoset.

We look forward to your next visit and greatly appreciate your positive feedback.

Cornelius J. Russell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
#2 of 3 in Rockland
Rockland Harbor Hotel
Rockland Harbor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!