“Great restaurant in the middle of town”

Rockland Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #10 of 87 Restaurants in Rockland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Great restaurant in the middle of town”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We came to this place at the recommendation of our hotel, and we were not disappointed. The waiter was very friendly and helpful. We all ordered a lobster dinner. They were cooked perfectly and tasted delicious.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank EmilyandBill

plantation
“Awful, actually got sick on the food”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have visited Rockland many times over the years and I would always go to the Rockland Café as a standby place if I was not sure where else to go. Forget that. In the future I will make the effort to go somewhere else. In the past I have had some average meals and some poor meals but overall, not too bad. This time was different. I ordered the Scallops and they were terrible. They were overcooked in some kind of sauce. Not cheap either, nearly twenty dollars I believe. I did not complain or say anything, just ate the meal. I was up all night, sick as could be. Never again. Another thing, they are not that nice and do little to make you feel welcome. It seems maybe they cater to those who live here and they happen to know; strangers they treat exactly like, well--strangers. Not a good feeling--this I have been aware of other times I dined here. But this is the first time I was sickened, literally.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank calman g
“Will only return if I can be sure that one of the servers isn't on duty.”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Another reviewer wrote about a server, "...like I asked her to give up her 1st born or something!"

I left with my stomach in knots, which was a shame given that my meal was very good. After all these years, and with me thinking I was nuts that the one server, one who is part of the family, rather despised having to wait on me, it's now clear that it's not me.

I don't know what fiction the server has invented about me, and would not care, if the treatment was just professionally impersonal, but that's not the case. Given that the lives of all involved in this establishment are not kept from customer's - indeed, other reviewers have noted the group-chat behaviors while ignoring customers -- there are two choices - keep personal business out of earshot and take care of patrons, or bring them into the dialogue. And, don't make so many assumptions about regulars who aren't "favored." Better yet, take on another aspect of the business and stay out of the dining room.

Change the motto to "Come in as a stranger...leave as a happy stranger."

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank Input
Maine, New York
“Becoming Complacent”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I hate to levy bad reviews on places that depend so much on a livelihood in an area that is depressed and difficult to survive in (think Maine winters). But I have had only disappointing meals here until it suddenly dawned on me to stop going. I've got to say that this is a deep fry joint essentially, that relies on a lot of all you can eat shrimp and fish fare of the deep fry ilk. Lots of bread and grease and no serious meat. What finally forced me out of the fold was the 1/3 pound hamburger I ordered on my last visit. What it was….were three hamburger patties on a bun! Mercillessly overcooked (I had asked for it medium rare, which you can probably only do if you avoid cooking the middle pat tie). I was pretty disgusted with that meal and left disappointed--and may I add….forever.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank peter k
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sooo wanted to like this place. So not going back.”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Oh I so wanted to love this place. From the outside the place looked like a great local place with an ole-timer vibe that you couldn't just help but love. So, my girlfriend was pumped for a lobster dinner, and I was just happy to go grab a bite at a local institution.

Our server was nice, the menu was vast and while it was Sunday (no specials), she ordered her lobster and ordered haddock. Man I was suprised, even my mashed potatoes and gravy were mediocre at best. My gf lobster was small even for the 1 1/4 which is all they had (I guess it's a season thing but we got bigger 1 1/4 from the supermarket the following day that were better.

My haddock was passable, but I won't go back. Sorry but I think this place isn't trying that hard and with so many alternatives in town (Home Kitchen Cafe or Waterworks Restaurant maybe your best bets for a simple down home meal and/or some seafood) then there is no reason to dine on sub par for food. Sorry, but it just was that bland.

• Visited April 2014