“what happened?”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Rockland, Maine
“what happened?”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

now to be very fair this neat little cafe has very good food, generous servings, fast and reasonably price, however the fish and chips as well as the shrimp basket let us down for the first time in many many years only saying this as a loyal customer to help. the fish was mushy and too much batter, the shrimp was very soft and the batter was not the usual.i know maine shrimp and i was very skeptical of those offered. but that aside we will be back but will be advising management if the meal is off.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank bill r

Smithtown, New York
“Thanks again tripadvisor”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

More and more I depend on the reviews of the folks at tripadvisor and this was no exception. This is a small unassuming place, like a diner storefront. The menu was large with too many choices. We had the seafood chowder and it was great. The lobsters in the tank were large and reasonable in cost, a 2lb lobster dinner with all the fixing was $38 and reasonable for the area. Locals kept coming and going picking up orders or sitting down for a meal, always a good sign. Atmosphere is homey but you're going here for the food. Enjoy!

• Visited April 2014
Freeport, Maine
“A total surprise.. awesome”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Today was our first time visiting the Rockland Cafe. We initially went in for coffee because it was so cold this morning but we were so enjoying our visit that we slid right into lunch with ease. The open face turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and dressing and a side of cranberry sauce was shear heaven. The turkey moist and delicious with a beautiful gravy served with toast points... Live reliving the day after Christmas with a hot turkey sandwich all over again. My husband had the fried haddock sandwich with a side of and fries and coleslaw. I ate the coleslaw as my sweetie doesn't care for it. I, on the other hand, enjoyed it immensely. It's not your ordinary coleslaw, I can tell you that. Delicious and fresh and made from scratch like everything else on the menu. My sister had the fried haddock basket with lots of perfectly fried fish and crispy fries. A great portion size as well. When my sister ordered a cup of the fish chowder, Charlene said she was sorry but she couldn't sell it as it had not turned out right. She was up front and honest about it and that impressed us all. The restaurant is clean and appointed with really large photos of days gone by of Rockland's downtown business district. Lots of chachkies are placed around the restaurant adding to the downeast charm. The owner was in the store and took care of us ... she was as sweet as can be and was very attentive to our needs. Customer service was awesome and you could tell that Carlene was really proud of her business. Lots of fresh pastries and baked treats were also nicely displayed near the register and my brother-in-law succumbed to the temptation of whoopee pies.. it was a good choice.. The one thing I know for sure, this may have been our first visit but it won't be our last... Thank you Carlene for your warm hospitality and serving us an amazing lunch.

• Visited March 2014
“so many good options it took forever to decide what to get”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was a first visit to the Rockland Cafe and hopefully it will not be the last. Like the other reviewers have noted, the place looks very unassuming from the outside and we almost didn't go in but I am glad we did as the food was delicious. The shaved Prime Rib with onions and cheese was plentiful and served au jus. My sister had the pulled pork sandwich, as did the girl behind us, and both raved about how tasty it was. It was " all-you-can-eat " seafood Wednesday and the first serving of fried haddock was plenty for my mother. All meals were served hot and in a timely manner. We all had fries with our meals; they were thin, dark brown, soft on the inside and yummy although a bit on the greasy side...which only made them taste better? I would recommend the Rockland Cafe to anyone.

Winter Harbor, Maine
“Not what you might expect looking at the outside.”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

It looks just like an average diner type restaurant from the street. To be honest, I was pushing for a different place, but this was my wife's choice for her birthday lunch. Boy, am I glad I agreed! If I had any complaint, it would be that we were in town only for a few hours and there were so many unusual items on the menu I wanted to try. I wound up with a fish cake, a house made specialty, and a small bowl of seafood chowder. Both were excellent and left me so stuffed I couldn't even consider an order of fried smelts which I wanted to try. My wife had corn chowder, excellent, and a lobster roll. This was not the typical Maine lobster roll as it was served on a kaiser type roll, not a hot dog roll. Also not typical because it has a ton of lobster meat on it. Next time we find ourselves in Rockland, I know where we're eating!