“Thank you Ed & Joan! Great stay!”
Review of Old Granite Inn

Old Granite Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Rockland B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We stayed at the Old Granite Inn for one night to celebrate our anniversary. We only live 45 minutes away so this was a bit of a stay-cation. When I called to make the reservation I asked for the least expensive room, but when I told Ed we were coming for our anniversary he gave us a complimentary upgrade!

The house is just beyond all of the shops on Main Street which is great! You can easily walk to all the shops and galleries but you're not right in the thick of the town. The view from the house is the ferry terminal which is interesting to watch.

We were greeted warmly by Ed and Zach (the dog) and shown to our room. It had a nice little electric fireplace that offered a cozy mood and extra warmth. Actually, the heating was a bit intense in the middle of the night the radiator kicked into high gear and it was quite warm in the room, but by morning it was just right again.

Breakfast was served to us in our room because my husband had a cold. It was very nice and the service was excellent!

All-in-all a lovely stay. We'd highly recommend this accommodation to anyone looking to stay in Rockland be it one night in winter or a long summer vacation!

Thank you, Ed & Joan!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 29, 2010

We had such a great time here. The owners are so nice, and wow, what a breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Simply put, stay at the Old Granite Inn.
Location, Atmosphere, and Food... Top Shelf!

The Old Granite Inn (OGI) is located a few minutes walking distance from what are arguably some of the best shops and restaurants along Rockland's Main Street (US Rte 1) -- and is directly across the street from the ferry terminal; not to mention, the Farnsworth Art Museum and several other galleries are also easily walked to from the OGI.

Traveling from north or south, the OGI is right on Rte 1. Parking in front of the Inn is simple, without hassles, fuss, or long walks to one's car. Note: At the time of our visit, the curbing and sidewalks in front of the Inn were being renovated (making for curious navigating in and out of parking spaces.

At the OGI, one will be impressed by the facade of the old stone manor, quarried from granite that looks to me as impressive today as it must have appeared over a hundred years ago--and by the Innkeepers' forever-charming sentinel, Zach, whom I understand introduces himself to all guests upon their arrival. We were warmly greeted by Zach, and Inn Keepers Joan and Edwin Hantz who made us feel quite at home.

As we visited during the Festival of Lights in late November, we missed the opportunity to enjoy the gardens that flourish throughout the rest of the year along the front of the Inn; however, if the breakfasts Edwin prepared for us over the course of the weekend are any measure, I am confident the gardens of OGI are absolutely spectacular. Attention to detail is not overlooked in any element of the food he prepared for us... everything was delicious!

Joan, who has an eye for color, texture, and aesthetic balance in design, has created a very relaxing atmosphere at the OGI where one can sit and chat, read, play board games, or visit with Zach in a cozy chair by the warmth of the fireplace--experiencing first hand the essence the Old Inn.
A more contemporary style, yet equally relaxing experience can be had in the open media and dining area where one can enjoy a gourmet breakfast, sip a favorite beverage--with a snack from the "cookie jar"; or perhaps, catch up on news, watch a movie, read, or chat with friends.
Between the ambiance of the dining area and Edwin's creations from the kitchen, our breakfasts at OGI easily became the most enjoyable meal of the day!

We relaxed in the Rooms One/Two Suite. Two separate rooms on the first floor to the rear of the Inn. The rooms are joined by a vestibule through which both rooms and the 3/4 bath are accessed. The simple European contemporary style was very refreshing to this reviewer (see photos copied from website). Note: I understand Joan and Edwin will be augmenting the utilities in these spaces with "green" technologies in the near future! YAY! Go Green!

The rooms were clean, well maintained, and the environment relaxing and quiet. After a day out on the town, it was a pleasure to return to our rooms to find new towels and the bed linens neatly folded.

By the way, Joan and Edwin are a pleasure to talk to and have their own interesting stories to tell!

My recommendation: if you are planning a trip to Mid-coast Maine, stay at the Old Granite Inn!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Our stay at the Old Granite Inn was wonderful! Our room and the public rooms were spotless. The breakfasts were absolutely gourmet. I can't imagine a better location for sampling all that Rockland has to offer - as well as ferry rides to nearby islands. The innkeepers were always available if we needed information or had a special request.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I was in Rockland recently for an art workshop and needed a place to stay for the week. The workshop was run out of a studio connected to one of the two large motels in town, so that was the obvious place to stay. But the Trip Advisor reviews made me leery of those places.
I was fortunate to stumble upon the Old Granite Inn, which is no more than a three-minute walk from the heart of Rockland and across the road from a wharf.
The innkeepers, Joan and Edwin, were everything I could want in a host--courteous, kind and interesting.
Ed prepares excellent breakfasts--fresh eggs, bacon, sausage, quiches, breads, scones. Seems like it must be a lot of work, but Ed seems to relish his time in the kitchen. (He slips a menu for the next day's breakfast under your room door each night.) The inn has coffee and tea available at all hours, as well as cookie jars for late-hour snackers, and access to a small refrigerator for guests who want to keep food or drinks cold. It made my week away from home seem more homey.
I appreciated Joan and Ed's choice of decor. The design is tastefully modern. I didn't find the myriad doilies and Victorian knick-knacks that I associate with B&Bs (and which tend to make me feel like I am visiting some strange old aunt).
Because I was staying for nearly a week, Joan and Ed gave me a discounted rate, which put my stay on par with (or perhaps even below) the rate charged by the two large local motels (which other workshop participants said were rather decrepit).
Check out the Old Granite Inn's web site for details.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We were only in town for one night, and checked in later than we originally anticipated. No worries. Ed was a gracious, kind and helpful host. The room was comfortable, the bath towels were big and thirsty (a huge thumbs up for that), and the breakfast was a relaxed delight. The location of the Granite Inn, right on Main Street, couldn't be better. Best of all, they're pet friendly! We definitely plan to return with our dogs next time. HIGHLY recommended!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

The Old Granite Inn, across the street from the Ferry terminal, is a very pleasant, welcoming spot, with simple but clean and comfortable rooms. The hosts make a wonderful breakfast, and the downstairs "lobby" is a great place to chat and play games. Downtown shopping, cafes, museum, and galleries are just a couple of blocks away. This is a fantastic alternative to the really scabrous Navigator Inn right next door.
By the way, the Japanese restaurant on main street is terrific- very creative.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
250 Main Hotel
LimeRock Inn
LimeRock Inn
#2 of 8 in Rockland
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Old Granite Inn? Share your experiences!