“Great breakfast buffet”
Review of Old Granite Inn

Old Granite Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Rockland B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Nice B&B & very convenient for catching ferry to Vinalhaven Island. & right on Main street of town. Room was very good & clean & nice guest service at check in. This was definitely the best B&B breakfast we had in Maine & Canada. Wonderful buffet...lobster quiche, egg soufflé, great muffins.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sstj

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I love the Old Granite Inn. I have stayed here many times and each time I am so grateful to Ed and Joan for their warm welcome, clean rooms and AMAZING breakfast. Walking to dine, shop and enjoy the Farnsworth Art Museum fill one's belly, suitcase, and heart. I will always book a stay at this Inn- I love it!

Room Tip: Front of the Inn rooms are beautiful but can be noisy from ferry traffic, if you are a light sleep...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MICHELLE66_13
Reviewed July 26, 2013

It's all about the breakfast at this warm, friendly B & B. Gracious host Eddy was interesting and an informative inn keeper. Wild blueberry, cornmeal flapjacks were the highlight and the potato/asparagus quiche was delicious also. It was a very warm week, but the room air conditioners kept up, making sleeping pleasant.

Room Tip: Made reservations in March for July. Only 8 rooms. Corner suite great for family of 4.
1  Thank OrangeBlossomTampa
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Ed & his wife make you feel at home with their attention to detail and their delightful breakfast. Be sure to try Ed's lobster quiche - amazing. The fresh fruit was at the perfect point of ripeness in the fruit salad. Ed is a great conversationalist and is witty and knowledgeable. Be sure to chat him up. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, just what you would expect from a 2012 Trip Advisor B & B.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I originally had reservations for the local Hampton Inn but I wanted my daughter to experience her first bed and breakfast. I ended up paying much more to stay at the Old Granite Inn and the accomodations were subpar and very disappointing.

One of the best parts of a B&B is normally the interaction with the owners. However, we met the husband at check in and saw him briefly at breakfast the next morning. In three days we never met the wife owner. One would think if someone was spending $230 per night for three nights that both owners would have interacted with us or at least said hello. Instead, the main priority seemed to be to charge all three nights charges to my credit card before we saw the room.

The lobby to the B&B was very cluttered. Forget about the pictures on the website, as clearly those were shot after a special cleaning. We had rooms 1 and 2. When I first walked into the room, I heard a loud noise by the window, much like a high pressured water hose being shot at the window. I looked out the window and saw a neighbor doing something in his yard so I thought that was the source of the noise. However, after we returned from a late dinner, the noise was still there. I realized the noise was from the A/C. I put my hand by the A/C and felt the air coming out on a periodic basis, like no air and then a big gasp of air every six seconds. It was on this exhale of air that it sounded like a water hose being shot at the window.

I got zero sleep the first night due to the noise and I became very irritated because I knew this issue did not suddenly develop when I arrived. In otherwords, I knew the owners were aware of the problem and did not address it. They only wanted our money. Thinking about the A/C, I concluded that it could not move air correctly. After breakfast, which was good, I opened the A/C and took out the filter which was clogged with hair, dust and other matter. I took it to the owner and told him that I could not sleep the first night due to the A/C and told him my belief that the clogged filter was the source of the problem. I asked if there was a place I could wash it out. He said I could wash it or he could but as I knew my next night sleep was dependent on doing the job correctly, I did it myself. I placed the filter back in the A/C and the problem was solved. I then looked at the filter in room 2 and it was also matted with gunk. Clearly, basic preventive maintainence is not done at this place. It took me only two minutes to wash out a filter. By the way, the owner never said a thing or apologized about the horrible first night of no sleep due to his failure to do his job.

The layout of the rooms themselves was also frustrating. When staying three nights, it would be nice to be able to unpack your clothes and put them away in a dresser and otherwise have a place to set out one's belongings. Neither room had a dresser. Room 1 had a small cabinet in the corner which would hold some hangers but that was it. That cabinet did have one small drawer but it held the spare blanket. Any little shelf space anywhere was covered by a pointless nicnack.

In the bathroom, the counter is not that large. The available space is destroyed by an out of place large above the counter bowl as the sink. This thing is huge and pointlessly destroyed the ability to properly store bathroom items. Also, the klinnex box in the bathroom remained empty during our three night stay.

The two nice things about this place was available parking and very good breakfast meals. There was a water tank where the owner invited us to take a free mug and fill up with water during our stay. However, during the three night stay, the water tank remained empty. We were told the first afternoon that the owners went out to the store to get water but the water never showed up and we never saw the owner after our first breakfast there. They just vanished for the balance of our three days. On the last day, another guest mentioned they might have gone away to a funeral. Again, a bit of communication would have been appropriate on this topic when you invite guests in, the guest pay a lot of money and then the owners disappear so that no issues can be resolved.

As far as security, the main lobby is supposed to be locked each evening and the guests are given a key to the front door. However, after the owners disappeared, the lobby remained unlocked until I locked it myself at 11:00 at night.

The B&B is across the street from the bay; however, that section is very industrial and the ferry terminal also destroys the view.

We were very disappointed with this place and will never return. We should have stayed at the Hamilton Inn.

Room Tip: After room 4 was vacated, we did see a dresser in that room.
2  Thank Bugler
Edwin H, Owner at Old Granite Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

We deeply regret that this reviewer had a less than wonderful experience at the Granite Inn. We take over 700 reservation s a year, but this is no excuse for anyone "falling through the cracks." Of all the people who have stayed in the 1-2 suite, this reviewer is the first to complain about the sound of the air conditioner. If the reviewer had wanted a dresser, he could have asked for one. And, though the design of the bath room was not to this reviewer's taste, we have gotten many complements on it.

It is standard practice in hotels to swipe a guest's credit card upon check-in, entering them into the system, for the total amount of their stay. The card is not actually charged until they check out. This allows the innkeeper to either add or subtract charges as needed. This reviewer was not singled out for special treatment.

During this reviewer's stay, my wife and I had to go to Boston to bury her mother. We should have made it clear to all guests that we had to go, leaving the inn in the hands of two capable, but not flawless, inn-sitters. In the future, if we have to leave town, we will make sure that all aspects of the inn are in tip-top shape.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had a nice two day stay here. The breakfast was amazing! The innkeepers were nice and helpful, the location is good, right downtown. The downside is that there wasn't a lot of room to set your stuff down. Also, I paid extra for a jacuzzi tub that wasn't usable. Those types of tubs need special cleaning and that one had been neglected. The jets all had green slime in them. Ick. That made it unusable even as a regular bathtub, but fortunately it was a shower/tub combo. Talk to the folks at the Coachman Inn in Kittery on how to clean those, they do it right. The other thing is that there are no phones in the room. But there is one for local calls in the parlor. I had no cell service there, I guess AT&T customers are now [--] along much of the Maine coast now. Something to keep in mind.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank D B
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow! My wife and I along with our daughter visited Rockland, Maine and decided to stay here. I am sooo happy we did. Ed and Joan were amazing hosts and we absolutely loved staying here at their B&B. They are amazing cooks and their breakfasts were unbelievable and so incredible. The Lobster quiche was yummy. Everything was actually! We stayed for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Rockland. The location was more than accommodating. It was walking distance to everything in Rockland, restaurants, shops, etc. The ferries to the different islands off the coast of Maine there was directly across the street from this B&B. It was a modern and beautiful decorated B&B mixed in with an old charm. We loved our stay with Ed and Joan and would certainly recommend this place to anyone. We stayed in the 1-2 room and we liked our stay there. It was very accommodating for us.

2  Thank Chachiman1768
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
250 Main Hotel
#2 of 8 in Rockland
Lindsey Hotel
Lindsey Hotel
#4 of 8 in Rockland

Been to Old Granite Inn? Share your experiences!