“Nice Stay”
Review of Old Granite Inn

Old Granite Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Rockland B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had a nice two day stay here. The breakfast was amazing! The innkeepers were nice and helpful, the location is good, right downtown. The downside is that there wasn't a lot of room to set your stuff down. Also, I paid extra for a jacuzzi tub that wasn't usable. Those types of tubs need special cleaning and that one had been neglected. The jets all had green slime in them. Ick. That made it unusable even as a regular bathtub, but fortunately it was a shower/tub combo. Talk to the folks at the Coachman Inn in Kittery on how to clean those, they do it right. The other thing is that there are no phones in the room. But there is one for local calls in the parlor. I had no cell service there, I guess AT&T customers are now [--] along much of the Maine coast now. Something to keep in mind.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank D B

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow! My wife and I along with our daughter visited Rockland, Maine and decided to stay here. I am sooo happy we did. Ed and Joan were amazing hosts and we absolutely loved staying here at their B&B. They are amazing cooks and their breakfasts were unbelievable and so incredible. The Lobster quiche was yummy. Everything was actually! We stayed for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Rockland. The location was more than accommodating. It was walking distance to everything in Rockland, restaurants, shops, etc. The ferries to the different islands off the coast of Maine there was directly across the street from this B&B. It was a modern and beautiful decorated B&B mixed in with an old charm. We loved our stay with Ed and Joan and would certainly recommend this place to anyone. We stayed in the 1-2 room and we liked our stay there. It was very accommodating for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chachiman1768
Reviewed July 7, 2013

You won't find a better breakfast. Served from 8:00-9:00 buffet style in a welcoming dining room, Ed's pastries and crusts showcase his amazing talents. I don't even like breakfast and I'd get on a plane just in hopes of another bite of deletable lobster quiche.
The inn's ambiance is equally pleasurable. Fresh cookies, coffee/tea and comfy couches in the arts and craft style common areas all add to the appeal. Guest rooms were large with good internet through out the property.
Finally, the location is ideal. Immediately across from the Maine DOT ferry, it's steps away from a boat that will take you on a wonderful day of adventure. It's also an easy walk to a number of terrific eateries. This welcoming inn is the perfect option for exploring the Rockland area.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Very dated and in need of much! No storage except uncomfortable extra small twin bed for luggage in one room. Air conditioners in each room made their own unique sounds all night. We asked for several things to be repaired which they did but think no one had inspected the rooms for awhile. We left for better accommodations ASAP which ended up only a few blocks away and better location.
Breakfast was nice except for bad music being played.
Rockland host many other options that are much better and not too different in price. Check them before this one...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2013

When we arrived in town it just happened to be Lobsterfest Summer 2013. We walked two blocks to enjoy the music and check out the street fair. The Old Granite Inn was lovely. Clean, simple room and bathroom. Lots of common areas. Beautiful garden and parking lot. The innkeeper was quiet and welcoming and he is a fantastic cook! Our one night stay ended with a breakfast spread of a full size multi flavor selection of homemade, warm muffins AND quiche Lorraine AND asparagus goat cheese frittata AND lots of beverage choices. We left full and happy.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Having traveled all over the place, and stayed in B&Bs most of the time, I have learned that there seems to be two types of Inn owners: The ones that are in the business because they love people and want to be in the hospitality business, and the other is just running a business. This place falls into the latter. It lacked warmth for sure. The owners were not that friendly.

The inn itself is a strange mix of old and new. Walk into the receiving area, and it looks like an older home. Step into the breakfast room, and it has a ultra modern feel. Same with my room. There's this beautiful winding staircase that leads upstairs, but that's where the charm ends. The room was not well decorated. The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable.

The next morning (after a night of tossing and turning, trying to get comfortable), I joined other guests for breakfast. As I was getting a cup of coffee, I was serenaded by a crying baby, and loud Irish music. Not a good combination for 8 am. Another guest was calling it the Bates Motel, but I don't think it was that bad.

On a good note, it was close to downtown, and I could easily walk all over the place. My room was very clean.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MtHopper
Edwin H, Owner at Old Granite Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

It's hard to believe that this reviewer and the previous 50 or so are talking about the same innkeepers. I can not dispute how the reviewer feels, and if he/she had a less than wonderful experience at the Granite Inn, I apologize. We aim for 100% satisfaction, and I guess in this case we missed.

With respect to the decor, a great deal of thought and hard work has gone into decorating the inn. The reviewer should not have been surprised. Our web site and many of the previous reviews make it clear what we look like. Many of the mid-century furnishings are authentic and quite valuable, and many of our repeat customers, including several famous artists and architects, choose us because of the decor. Rather than celebrate our uniqueness, this reviewer chose to call us "weird" which I take as a complement.

I also carefully choose the music playing during breakfast. I like to feature, on occasion, cultural events in Midcoast Maine. The Irish group that this reviewer objects to played here a short time ago. If the reviewer had said something to me, I would have been happy to turn down the volume or select some other music. It's hard for me to "fix" what I don't know is "broken."

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We enjoyed a perfect stay at the Old Granite Inn. The decor is stunning, mid-century modern that evokes the best of the Bauhaus era. The food is inventive and delectable. And, the innkeepers have a wonderful way of making you feel welcome. Ed and Joan go out of their way to make sure your visit is memorable. Many of the guests while we were there are regulars and we certainly understand why.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
250 Main Hotel
#2 of 8 in Rockland
Lindsey Hotel
Lindsey Hotel
#4 of 8 in Rockland

Been to Old Granite Inn? Share your experiences!