“Food is appetizing... Owner is shameful...”
Review of Primo

Primo
Reserve with OpenTable
Primo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 89 Restaurants in Rockland
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Italian and Mediterranean inspired menu...James Beard Award winning Chef Melissa Kelly prepares Farm to Table Cuisine in a restored farmhouse. 4 Acres of kitchen gardens, heritage pigs & chickens supply the restaurant with the freshest ingredients. Primo is both a gem to our local clientele as well as a culinary destination for food lovers in search of casually elegant dining. Supporting local and sustainable farms & businesses. Creative & seasonal cocktails, artisanal breads, handmade pastas, gelato and much more. Sundays and Thursdays come for $1 oyster night at the bar or join us for our small plates menu at our new Antipasti Counter. WE HAVE 40-50 SEATS AVAILABLE FOR GUESTS DROPPING IN WITHOUT RESERVATIONS.....THERE IS ALWAYS A PLACE !!! Private Salon on the second floor for up to 14 guests or reserve one of the original parlor rooms. Make a reservation or feel free to drop in to our lounge area.
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Primo was once the highlight of my visits to spend time with my parents in Rockland, Maine. Once my father passed away, I have been visiting his favorite eateries in his honor and to absorb myself in the memories he had made through his wonderful dining experiences. This was not the case when I dined on July 20, 2014. The restaurant filled quickly and the offerings were beautiful. While the food comes from two different kitchens, the timing is not always perfect, but can certainly be overlooked by the wonderful attention to service.... Except for this evening. While discussing the delay of service and the feeling of being ignored at our table, the owner, Price Kushner, offered little in the way of understanding our feelings. He was arrogant, rude, hostile and the epitome of a narcissist. It became obvious that their " full circle ultimate farm-to-table dining expedience" did not include their diner's needs or feelings. Suffice it to say that due to my already tender feelings over my father's death, he brought me to tears and then asked me to leave the restaurant as I was upsetting the dining service... The evening to honor my father's memory by sharing in his love of good food was tarnished by an offensive, disgusting display of hubris on Mr. Kushner's part. We paid the bill, in full, and tipped our sever accordingly as she was the only soft touch of the evening. Disappointed beyond belief and robbed of a beautiful memory...

12  Thank Beth B
There are newer reviews for Primo

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We couldn't get a reservation at the last minute so we decided to pop in and were able to sit at the bar. The beauty of sitting at the bar is that you are able to discuss food and drink options at length with a very knowledgeable staff. We tried several different appetizers. All were outstanding. It is a beautiful spot with wonderful ambience. Completely unexpected.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have been going to Maine for 2 weeks every year since 2002. Primo is the highlight every time. If you are accustomed to highbrow dining in Manhattan, you won't get that here. It is the genuine love of food, lovingly prepared, and great service that comes through in a more simple, rural Maine way. This year we ate at Primo twice in our two weeks. Do bring your wallet, but also take time to savor the blend of flavors in every course. The creativity is magnificent. I had fish and lobster first time, then duck on my second visit, along with oysters two ways, and am embarrassed to admit had a dessert of pistachio popover with a wonderful custard filling. My brother went one step further, and enjoyed the profiteroles AND the homemade doughnuts after a wonderful dinner. Thank heavens we also hiked and sea kayaked the rest of the time, to earn this guilty pleasure! We did have a bit of a wait for one of our reservations, but we brought our vacation karma along and had a wonderful evening once we were seated. We will be back next year...and the year after, etc....

1  Thank S C
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Between 1978 and 1984 I wrote a NYC Restaurant Guide just for my friends, family and my Hollywood clients. And
even now at age 71, I can tell you exactly where I dined and what I ate on those nights I regard as the 10 best meals of my life. Yes, I could cook serious food that was
seriously delicious by age 9, and it takes a helluva meal to
make my palate applaud. BUT Melissa Kelly and her staff of kitchen magicians make it happen every time I'm there.
I am extremely informal and I like to dine upstairs at Primo, where there is more energy, no white cloth on your table.
Just a terrific team of people led by Price Kushner that never miss a beat when it comes to bringing you large or small dishes of brilliantly conceived and beautifully plated
food that leaves you shaking your head in wonder that
somebody thought of this and then actually brought it to life and thankfully to my table. I am choosing not to mention any specific items so as not to ruin the surprise. You could
wear a blindfold and point at any item on the menu, and
as long as your expectations are short of someone coming out of the kitchen and walking on club soda, you will be
dazzled by the food and service as well. And if you are like me, will have just one regret... the meal will end. But I bet you will plan on coming back before you walk out the door.
Just one more thing...the customers who complain about the service at Primo must have servants at home. No other
explanation is plausible.
meal will eventually come to an end.

3  Thank toptongue
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is THE best restaurant I've been to. We live in Charleston, S.C., a foodies meca. I've lived in Europe and have traveled throughout the world. Nothing (well, maybe Tuscany) compares to Primo. The choices are amazing. EVERY dish the four of us had -- appetizers, pasta, entrees and desserts were outstanding. Even the wood-smoked strawberry and jalapeño cocktail was fabulous. Duck, various types of sea bass, goat cheese stuffed flowers -- wish I had the specific menu descriptions to share (I'm sure they're online). Everything is made in-house from their own gardens and their own pigs. We met Melissa Kelly, the James Beard award-winning chef. She's young, pretty, petite and tiny. Apparently the staff is like family to each other and it shows with the care that's given to guests and to each other. This seriously goes to the top of my restaurant list. Bravo! (BTW, we're going back tonight to the upstairs tavern side, which we're told is just as good, with no reservations required.)

2  Thank TravelerNorfolk