“Primo lives up to its name.”
Review of Primo

Primo
Ranked #3 of 90 Restaurants in Rockland
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Italian and Mediterranean inspired menu...James Beard Award winning Chef Melissa Kelly prepares Farm to Table Cuisine in a restored farmhouse. 4 Acres of kitchen gardens, heritage pigs & chickens supply the restaurant with the freshest ingredients. Primo is both a gem to our local clientele as well as a culinary destination for food lovers in search of casually elegant dining. Supporting local and sustainable farms & businesses. Creative & seasonal cocktails, artisanal breads, handmade pastas, gelato and much more. Sundays and Thursdays come for $1 oyster night at the bar or join us for our small plates menu at our new Antipasti Counter. WE HAVE 40-50 SEATS AVAILABLE FOR GUESTS DROPPING IN WITHOUT RESERVATIONS.....THERE IS ALWAYS A PLACE !!! Private Salon on the second floor for up to 14 guests or reserve one of the original parlor rooms. Make a reservation or feel free to drop in to our lounge area.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Primo is where we take our out of town guests for a special meal. There are many wonderful restaurants in the area but Primo stands alone for fine dining. Everything is wonderful and unique and I can't stop ordering the pork scallopini although my husband always tries something new. The downstairs is more formal and probably more quiet, but we prefer the lively atmosphere upstairs. It might be a little more noisy but it is also more fun.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great restaurant! Excellent food, fresh and beautifully cooked. Good skate is hard to find but the skate wing special here was delicious. So was the octopus appetizer, prepared two ways, one hot, one cold. The fresh spinach pasta with lamb was fabulous and the bourbon banana bread pudding was amazing! Ambiance was pleasant, Atmosphere was lively, although quite noisy. Service was good, if slightly slow at times. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good food; good service. Interesting house. Lived up to its reputation. Very interesting menu; our party ordered several different items & shared with one another. Everything very tasty; exquisitely prepared. Took whole evening for dinner but very enjoyable. Because we were a large party we were in a room next to the upstairs bar. A little noisy.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We celebrated our anniversary at Primo and are divided in our review. Since I am the author of this review I give it 5 stars, but my husband was less impressed with his meal and would give it only 4.
We arrived a few minutes early and were escorted to the upstairs bar while they prepared our table. We each had a drink and got to watch the impressive bartenders do their work. When our table was ready we were seated in one of the many dining rooms. The layout of the restaurant is lovely and allows for a small intimate dining experience.
We were brought a taster of smoked salmon pate from the chef which I didn’t try but which my husband reports was delicious. We ordered the cider braised pork belly, each had a salad, an entrée and of course an order of the zeppole. We both thought that the pork belly appetizer was wonderful. I had the cheddar, apple, walnut salad which was perfect while my husband ordered a BLT salad off of the vast menu of added specials for the evening. He didn’t love the salad- feeling that it was a glorified wedge salad, he was a little disappointed. I had a special of roasted quail with one large butternut squash ravioli and a sheep’s milk cheese sauce. It was tremendous. The flavors were perfect and formed an amazing cohesive dish. My husband had the skate wing special and found exactly the opposite. He felt that the flavors didn’t mesh well and that they were pretty basic. He also found that his vegetables were served with unexpectedly spicy peppers which he was not aware of. He loves spicy food, and yet upon eating one of these peppers he got the hiccups and began sweating. It was unfortunate because his meal was sort of tainted from there on out….until the zeppole.
For dessert I ordered the banana bread pudding and my husband ordered the zeppole. We both ended up taking them to go after some coffee. All in all we had great drinks and a wonderful bottle of wine, good food and the service was top notch. I adored my meal while my husband felt his was just okay. We ate at Primo a few years ago and will definitely return. Note: this was an expensive meal but was second to none in my opinion. I believe that this was one of the best meals I’ve ever had.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

As newcomers to the great food scene in Rockland, we had seen Anthony Bourdain's review on his TV show a few years bacj and were anxious to try it out. Ate in an alcove upstairs that was quiet and out of the way. The menu reads like a food lovers dream. Oysters are a special on Thursday night and were sweet and fresh. Tried the oven roasted sturgeon ( an new taste for me and very good). In addition to superb food, the presentation of each dish is a delight to the eyes and makes you wait to just enjoy the view. Quiet, efficient, professional, unobtrusive service and a refreshing experience to not have the wait staff think it is imperative for me to know their name. Worth the trip to return to this great place.