“Great Restaurant”
Review of Primo

Primo
Reserve with OpenTable
Primo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 89 Restaurants in Rockland
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Italian and Mediterranean inspired menu...James Beard Award winning Chef Melissa Kelly prepares Farm to Table Cuisine in a restored farmhouse. 4 Acres of kitchen gardens, heritage pigs & chickens supply the restaurant with the freshest ingredients. Primo is both a gem to our local clientele as well as a culinary destination for food lovers in search of casually elegant dining. Supporting local and sustainable farms & businesses. Creative & seasonal cocktails, artisanal breads, handmade pastas, gelato and much more. Sundays and Thursdays come for $1 oyster night at the bar or join us for our small plates menu at our new Antipasti Counter. WE HAVE 40-50 SEATS AVAILABLE FOR GUESTS DROPPING IN WITHOUT RESERVATIONS.....THERE IS ALWAYS A PLACE !!! Private Salon on the second floor for up to 14 guests or reserve one of the original parlor rooms. Make a reservation or feel free to drop in to our lounge area.
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Finely crafted meals, with attention to all details. Excellent Wine list too! They have expanded the restaurant & now has various different seating areas with different ambiances.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This award winning restaurant provides an excellent eclectic menu with Mediterranean and Italian influences , with vegetables and seasonings grown on the 5 acre premises. We had Sautéed scaloppini of Pork “Saltimbocca” and Local Wild Mushrooms with Porcini Tagliatelle. The Pork was excellent, with multiple flavor sensations exciting my palate. The Porcini Tagliatelle, although tasty, was not as flavorful as the pork. For dessert we had brownie w/homemade marshmallow sauce and fudge sauce and profiteroles w/fudge and salted caramel sauce. Overall, a superb meal, although expensive.

Finally, reservations in the main dining room are difficult to get. An alternative is to eat upstairs (where one can eat either off a bistro menu or the regular menu).

1  Thank slsquest
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were really looking forward to this meal. Evidenced by the fact we drove an hour each way from Boothbay to try it. Here is the good part: best smoked bacon ever, well-selected and priced wine ($79 Ducasse), beautiful dining space that smelled like a Texas steakhouse with a NC barbecue pit out back, and a sublime tequila grapefruit "Rosengala". But Primo failed to impress with the other small plates and the server (Colin) was a nice guy, but had no business serving at a top flight restaurant. Evidence: "What cheeses are these?" Answer: "Um, I'm not sure. That one looks like manchago and that is some type of gruyere... I think." Colin, as I said, was friendly, but he really lost me when my Tuscan style ribs came out cold (perhaps not served immediately?) and when I brought this to his attention, his reply was "I'll warm them up." No apology offered when removing the dish nor when the same dish was brought back steaming hot. Alas, temperature was the least of the poor rib's problem. They tasted rancid. I have no other way to describe them. As expected, Colin didn't ask if they were ok when, after only taking one bite, I asked for them to be removed. But at that point, I just wanted the check. What a roller coaster ride! Some elements were excellent, but not sufficient to ever incline us to return.

3  Thank Scott G
Reviewed September 7, 2012

So Primo just is way above most restaurants. Focused on local and sustainable with there own garden, chickens and pork. Primo offers some of the best food in the United States. From the Farmer Salad to the Hudson Valley Foie Gras Two Ways everything normal or complex is done to perfection. We had the Pork Belly which was the best I have ever had and I mean the best! For our entree we had Local Wild Mushrooms with Porcini Tagliatelle with chanterelle, Lobster, black trumpet and alba, spinach and thyme in a mushroom broth…finished with reggiano was just out of this world. My only comment was service was polite bit not up to the level of the food. Service is everything at this level of restaurant it should be much better. This is must stop if you even close to the state of Maine.

1  Thank cmpqse
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The owner of one of our favorite wine stores in Tampa had recommended Primo, and but for FAR too much salt (with my wife's salad and her pork) the meal would have been outstanding. We were also a bit surprised that there was no lobster on the menu - but my scallops allowed me to forget that.