“A delight by any measure and especially great for Gluten Free Diners”
Review of 3CROW Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

3CROW Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We knew little about what to expect as we came in to 3CROW, and certainly didn't anticipate such a wonderful meal and delightful surroundings as we enjoyed. First we were delighted to find that all but two dishes could be prepared gluten free including fried chicken, biscuits, tobacco onions and other unlikely treats for celiacs. Every dish ordered was delicious. The clams were fabulous, and the fried chicken was moist and flavorful by any standard. Our waiter was attentive, knowledgable and pleasant. Diners at nearby tables seemed equally pleased with their experience. The pew-like bench was not the most comfortable seating ever but perfectly manageable for the evening. Oddly the reflection we could see in the mirror over the bar was of the glass washing sinks rather than the bar itself.

It turns out that the restaurant owner's wife and pastry chef is celiac and responsible for the great GF options. The restaurant is under the same ownership as 40 Paper in Camden which we will definitely try next!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I'm a local, so I like to give a new restaurant a try and see how it rates compared with our other eateries. 3 Crows beckoned one weekday evening so off I went. A very attractive spacious appearance! I was greeted and seated promptly and my drink order taken. Some nice slices of fresh bread arrived along with my drink and my food order was taken. Salad with a tasty dressing, grilled peaches, walnuts and local mesclun was served. Delicious! Then the haddock entree came, lightly breaded, slightly dry but otherwise unremarkable. It was sitting on a "bed" of kale... A lot of kale. If the kale had been cooked with imagination it might have been interesting but this was a mound of tough, bitter boiled kale. After two mouthfuls, I gave up and abandoned it and the rest of the haddock. No one came to inquire "How's your meal?" Or to ask if everything was alright. Nope. I was handed the check which I payed and then it was over. Sorry 3 Crows... When the chilly winds blow later this year, I won't be returning. You might say I've flown the coop.

1  Thank leaderoftheband
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was excited and saving my visit to 3Crow for one of my last nights in Rockland. I walked in and was impressed at how beautiful the space is. That is a good thing but it also sets up an expectation about everything else. The place is truly beautiful from the lighting to the space and right down to the bathrooms. This is a new restaurant that opened in April so I know they need to mature. The menu is interesting but a little limited. I had the peach salad to start which was delicious. My main meal was hanger steak and I substituted fries for rice. I finished up with peach crisp. The food was good. Not great but very good. The issue for me was the service. It wasn't friendly even though I sat alone at the bar. No one really spoke to me other than to discontinue their waiter conversations to ask me if I would like anything. The owner or manager needs to work on a cohesive training for all employees to give each guest an experience that goes above and beyond their expectation. Then the service and food will match the the decor

1  Thank David S
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have to say, being born in Virginia, and spending time all over the south, I am a fried chicken fanatic. I am not a "only one way to make it right" type of fan either, I have had so many different takes on this old standard that I can't count that high. But what they are offering at 3Crow is by far the best I've tasted here in the Pine Tree State.

I sat at the bar with my wife and the bartender promptly greeted us and set us up with some water and menus. The water was especially appreciated as it was 96 degrees that day, but in the cool confines of the bar area we were VERY comfortable. There was a great mix of funky old blues and some '60s rock on for music, and the lighting and arrangement of the restaurant–as well as the overall cleanliness–was top notch.

We ordered a some delicious beers after first getting a taste of a couple options, and then got some mussels, thinking that would be all we would order for food. When they we delivered, the aroma was intoxicating and after one each we decided to order more food. I, of course, went with fried chicken, and my wife got a combination of two smaller plates: a grilled peach salad and lobster & grits. The chicken was, as mentioned in the title of this review, just stellar. Moist, tender yet firm, the breading was just right-not to heavy but substantial enough to stay on the meat. I asked the bartender about their recipe and he explained it is a multi-step process that includes brining, cold-smoking, and then dredging and frying. It sounds overly complicated to me ... but I am no chef. The guy responsible for this chicken? He IS. I am trying to come up with excuses to come back to Rockland weekly just so I can get a fix.

After we finished, we asked our bartender (Peter?) to make us something for a nightcap and he asked us a couple of questions about flavors we like and what kind of liquor and came back a couple minutes later with what has to be the most tasty bourbon drink I've ever tried. My wife doesn't even like cocktails that much, but she thought it was delicious as well.

All in all, a total home run on our first visit. We will definitely be back, but will avoid the Blues Festival weekend in the future (total debauchery in the streets at 8PM?!?) and I would suggest they maybe look to replace the stools at the bar. They are kind of victorian-era and not comfortable enough for a place where we would really like to spend some time.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Delightful, upbeat eatery. We tried the beer flights and enjoyed the wide array of local and not-so-local beers. We had a delay with our order that the bartender more than made up for. The mussels we had were some of the best we've ever tasted. Definitely worth a try.