Bufflehead Sailing Charters
Open today: 8:00 AM - 11:30 PM
Review Highlights
Perfect fall afternoon on the water

What an amazing afternoon, sailing with Sam and ‘crew’, weather was stunning, fall light and... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
127susiea
via mobile
Must do!

We had a great time on the Bufflehead. Captain Dan and his crew were experienced, entertaining, and... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
J780XHjenniferm

All reviews captain daniel his knowledge island picnic hour cruise great morning nice trip penobscot bay mid coast weather was perfect bennett stories sail boats monroe maine wind witness
Selected filters
Reviewed June 1, 2018

What a great time we had with our shipmates and Captain Daniel! I had not sailed much before and he put me at ease, explaining how "sailing" works. He explained what we were seeing and some of the history of the area. We were curious about how he got into sailing and told us the interesting story about how he acquired and restored the Bufflehead- very interesting! He patiently manuvered the boat just right . . . and kept it there while we got our pics of Owls Head Lighthouse! The scenery was so beautiful too. We had a gorgeous weather day and all had fun talking with each other and sharing laughs and stories. A true journal entry memory!

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed May 28, 2018

What a great afternoon's sailing. My family and I from Australia wanted to sample a bit of time out on the beautiful Maine coast and this was just perfect.
Captain Daniel is a brilliant skipper, joined at the hip with his boat and together they produced a really memorable experience for all of us. My daughters who are not always gushing with enthusiasm for sailing couldn't stop saying what fun it had been.

Daniel is also a knowlegible and articulate guide to the coastal sites round Rockland which added Interest to our cruise. All in all, the afternoon we spent on the Bufflehead was a gem.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank _johnkmyatt
Reviewed October 7, 2017

We loved our sail with Captain Daniel. Bufflehead is beautiful and the bay gorgeous. The nature and tour around the bay is well worth the time, and Daniel himself is a treasure. This is a must if you are staying in Rockland.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

First, the charter with Captain Dan was the highlight of the Maine trip! The sights of Rockland Breakwater and Owlshead Lighthouses and the land slipping by my eyes, the sounds of the water playing against the boat, the feel of the wind carrying the refreshing mist up to my face was all unforgetable. My only regret is not posting this review sooner. The trip was back in August. Secondly, I should point out that I was on the same charter as Jeff C. The best part of the charter was well...everything. But seriously, a stand out moment was the panoramic lunch view we had on Hurricane Island. Other favorite moments include all the knowledge Captain Dan imparted on us over the course of the day. As sunset approached I couldn't think of a better way to say goodnight to the sun than with a guitar played by Captain Dan, wine, cheese, bread and great company. The worst was leaving the boat at the end of the day and having to say goodbye to that wonderfully fantastic day. But as you can probably guess it was a memorable time. I count myself lucky that I went on that charter. It's a good thing I can revisit that day in my memories whenever I want. That will have to tide me over until the day I return in person. In case you were wondering, yes the pun was intended. :) Thanks for the fantastic day Captain Dan!!

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Trvlng2017
Reviewed October 3, 2017

My mother and I took a two hour sailing trip with Captain Dan to celebrate my birthday in September and loved every minute of it!

When planning my trip, I wanted a more personal experience on a smaller boat. After reading reviews here, I decided the Bufflehead was just what I was looking for to experience the harbor for the first time. The Bufflehead is a beautiful boat and just the right size to sail into every nook of the area, plus it's super comfortable and you are welcomed to make yourself at home. But really, Captain Dan make the experience so much fun! He has so much personality; it's hard to describe. You just need to book a sail with him.

Captain Dan knows every one out on the harbor so it's like you get to know them too when you sail with him. We sailed up to a boat that tossed over a bag of homemade doughnuts for us to snack on. Captain Dan then made us fresh coffee and we ate while we sailed. You won't get that kind of experience on a big sailboat. When we asked questions, he occasionally pulled out his guitar and, right on the spot, started singing the answer in a song. (We loved it!) We had some great talks during our two hours. My mother and I asked so many questions and learned SO much about the harbor, boats, lobstering and even area history. You can really tell Captain Dan has a true passion for what he does every day. We especially enjoyed learning about the breakwater and hearing stories about his family - they sound extraordinarily special!

I highly recommend sailing on the Bufflehead when you are in the Rockland/Camden area. It was an experience my mother and I will treasure forever. Thank you Captain Dan for making my birthday so special!!!

Date of experience: September 2017