Bufflehead Sailing Charters
Open today: 8:00 AM - 11:30 PM
Review Highlights
Nice to deal with

A prospect of stormy weather required us to cancel our evening sail. Daniel was most understanding... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
thecinks1
Great time sailing!

My family of 5 booked a charter with captain Dan in August 2020. He took precautions to ensure we... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Jessica O
via mobile

All reviews captain daniel his knowledge island picnic hour cruise great morning nice trip mid coast weather was perfect bennett stories sail boats monroe maine wind witness wealth
Selected filters
Reviewed September 5, 2017

I had never been on an actual sailboat before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Captain Dan knew exactly how to treat a first-timer, even letting me steer the boat for a bit when I was feeling a little seasick (Bufflehead is on the small side, so I recommend taking non-drowsy Benadryl if you think you might get seasick yourself).

We let him pick where we were going—an option I’d recommend if you’re looking for adventure—so we took a charter to Hurricane Island, a destination inhabited by the family who owns the island, the adventurous Outward Bound School in the summer, and not much else. It’s definitely not a destination you’d be able to get to normally, although the island has a rich history and remnants of its past as a granite excavation site in the early 20th Century are worth exploring. We hiked to the top of the island and had lunch in front of one of the most stunning ocean views I’ve ever seen.

But coming back to port proved to be one of the most memorable parts of the trip. The waters calmed and, leaning against the stern of Bufflehead, Captain Dan pulled out a guitar and began singing to our group as we sat, drank wine, and enjoyed the setting sun. I can’t think of a better way to spend a day than that. Captain Dan and Bufflehead come highly recommended.

Reviewed August 15, 2017

This was the best thing we did on our trip according to the entire family. Captain Dan was awesome and let us help with whatever we wanted in the sailing practice. He is as much a teacher (a very very knowledgeable teacher) as a Captain. We really enjoyed the sailing as well as the history, maritime, and sailing lessons we received. Captain Dan also has great stories and is an awesome conversationalist. This is also an extremely affordable experience when compared to other experiences of a similar vein. As a family man, the Captain understands the value of creating experiences that the entire family can share. One huge point for us was that the charter is much more intimate than many other more expensive options. What I mean is, the boat hold 6 people plus the Captain, so each person can have a great experience.

1  Thank Bernard W
Reviewed August 8, 2017

A group of 6 of us sailed around Penobscot Bay last week with Captain Dan. It was a GREAT experience. Captain Dan is an amazing host, providing interesting details about the past and present of the Rockland harbor area and bay. In addition, it was so interesting to learn about the history of the Bufflehead. All six of us had a wonderful time with Captain Dan on Bufflehead, and we all recommend this trip!

Reviewed August 1, 2017

A personal sail and interesting tour of the coastal area. Captain Dan was very engaging without intruding. Provided historical and interesting information without droning on. Clearly not a canned tourist speech. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank chankmaster
Reviewed July 25, 2017

Wonderful afternoon sail with a very experienced and knowledgeable captain. Highly recommended for all. Safe, fun and enlightening.

Date of experience: June 2017