“Fantastic sunset sail on the Bufflehead with Captain Daniel”

Bufflehead Sailing Charters
Ranked #1 of 20 Tours in Rockland
More attraction details
Owner description: Bufflehead is a 32 foot wooden gaff sloop, a classic boat, built in 1964. She is a very pretty boat, superbly swift, comfortable and safe. Captain Daniel Bennett sailed around the Pacific Ocean on a tall ship, and twice across the Atlantic (and back and forth to the Caribbean) on his own small boat.
Reviewed August 1, 2016

We enjoyed a fantastic Sunset Sail aboard the Bufflehead this past weekend (7/30/2016), and I am excited to share our EXCELLENT experience with others.

Our party of three couples boarded with anticipation (and wine and cheese and crackers and cameras) and Captain Daniel made us feel at home immediately.

Although we offered to pitch in with crew duties, he would have none of it - and treated us like honored guests while he managed everything with care, dexterity, and (forgive me) a boatload of information. Cap knows the local history, from the town to the boats to the lighthouses and more, and as a master sailor he answered our questions about the workings of the vessel as well. The man is brilliant.

We were blessed with perfect Maine summer weather - a warm evening with gentle winds and a spectacular sky. We quietly breezed our way past the Rockland light and beyond the Owl's Head light too, before arcing smoothly and returning toward the setting sun. We walked the deck to enjoy the views, and were treated to the sight of a pair of playful porpoises in the bay! But, the sun stole the show, as the photos illustrate. Magical.

As passengers, the evening was beautiful, peaceful, and effortless - and oh so romantic. Captain Daniel is the perfect host, and we give this 3-hour excursion all of our highest marks! Aside from catering, I can't think of anything that would have made it better. And, I'm guessing, catering could be arranged!

If you're coming to the area, book early - they're busy - and you can count on an excellent time. Give the Captain our regards!

All reviews
"beautiful boat"
in 6 reviews
"his guitar"

Reviewed July 31, 2016

We went on a 2 hours ride on the Bufflehead with Daniel and we could hardly think of a better way to start the day! He is knowledgeable and happily answered all questions we had, whether it was about history, sailing, or even physics!

Reviewed July 13, 2016 via mobile

For the lady who gave Captain Dan only 4 stars instead of 5, shame on you! Captain Dan really knows how to be a great host on top of a great captain. We went for the lobster bake. He entertained us with stories and the history of the area and Maine. Fresh lobster on a secluded island on a beautiful day. We now consider Captain Dan and first mate, Raya part of our family.

Date of experience: July 2016
Bufflehead S, Owner at Bufflehead Sailing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2016

No shame needed, we are glad you both had a good time. We strive for each person to have their perfect dream day, glad you got it! Thanks for coming out ad for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed July 9, 2016 via mobile

We went on the boat with our two young children. Daniel was very accommodating and the kids loved the sail as did my husband and I. What a great way to enjoy Maine!

Date of experience: June 2016
See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2016

My husband, mother-in-law and I took a tour with Captain Dan out of Rockland ME on his sailboat. We opted for the three-hour tour in the evening to catch the sunset. Everything was fantastic about the tour: Captain Dan was very knowledgeable about the region's history, geography, biology, and culture and was quite entertaining. The scenery was beautiful. We traveled along the coast and around a few islands. My only regret is that we didn't spend longer on the boat. Three hours was just enough time to get out of the harbor, see a little scenery and then turn back. I highly recommend.

1  Thank Ari B

Ari, I enjoyed having you aboard the boat. I wonder what we could have done better to improve your experience, or what you felt was lacking from what we were able to offer. We are grateful for the perfect reviews we get, but it strikes me that I might have more to learn from a lack of satisfaction than from continuous praise. What can we do better?