“What a wonderful way to enjoy the Maine coast!”

Bufflehead Sailing Charters
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in Rockland
More attraction details
Owner description: Bufflehead is a 32 foot wooden gaff sloop, a classic boat, built in 1964. She is a very pretty boat, superbly swift, comfortable and safe. Captain Daniel Bennett sailed around the Pacific Ocean on a tall ship, and twice across the Atlantic (and back and forth to the Caribbean) on his own small boat.
Reviewed September 28, 2015

Today was my third sail of the summer with Captain Dan. He is so knowledgeable that each sail is a true adventure and learning experience. Dan's knowledge of the Maine coast, Rockland, and sailing is so extensive that each trip is a treat. He is a wonderful storyteller as well. I have enjoyed sails in calm seas, average seas and relatively rough seas-- all have been delightful. I highly recommend this experience. I have only done the 2 hour tour, but he can customize a trip to suit your needs. This is my new go to adventure for summer visitors!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"private charter"
"beautiful maine"

Reviewed September 27, 2015

Sailing with Captain Dan for two hours was an incredible experience. He conveyed a plethora of knowledge about the history of Rockland, the importance of this harbor, and even provided a lesson on the geology of the Maine coast. Our only regret was that our schedule did not allow us to book a longer trip.

Reviewed September 3, 2015

I sailed with Captain Dan last year with a group of friends and loved it so much I made the trip again this year, and this time we made sure to book two sails - which still wasn't enough! Captain Dan does not disappoint! Our first sail was a 6 hour day sail and then we also did a 3 hour sunset sail this year which was equally amazing! It was so incredible to be out on the boat watching the sun set and then to be under the stars! I have chartered other boats in the area before and will never again go on any other boat other than Bufflehead. It simply does not get any better than Captain Dan!!

Reviewed August 30, 2015

My husband and I chartered the Bufflehead for a private 6 hour sail + lobster feast. What a lovely way to spend the day! Dan took us to a great small island (with just a few other humans) where we did a quick frigid dip and stroll before he cooked us a delicious fresh soft-shell lobster feast on a blanket. Not to mention the enjoyable trip to and fro, including a bit of time where Dan let me steer the ship. The blueberry pie by his wife was also amazing! Overall, we thought this was a highlight of our trip to Maine.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 27, 2015

I chartered with Bufflehead last year (for six hours - which just flew by) and so did it again this year - but booked two charters this time; a day sail and a sunset charter. Still not enough!

The changing sights, charming boat and deep knowledge of Cap'n Dan make for very engaging and memorable times. Because Dan is a renowned local sailor, the big schooners don't mind at all when he slips up close to say hi. It's wild to be safely so close to big boats.

Other people made the trip great, too. The ideal conditions of being onboard a great boat and being hosted by someone as nice and interesting as Cap'n Dan puts everyone else at their relaxed best. It really adds to the trip when you can be within conversational distance of other relaxed and happy people.

The only mistake you can make with Bufflehead Sailing Charters is to book a short cruise. It's amazing, though unsurprising, that this charter gets such rave reviews.